jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

How exactly does 'The Internet Movie Database' (IMDB) rate it's movies and TV sh

1. Ushnav profile image61
    Ushnavposted 5 years ago

How exactly does 'The Internet Movie Database' (IMDB) rate it's movies and TV shows ?

I have always been curious about this- being a ardent fan and user of the site. IMDB has everything about movies- and I mean EVERYTHING ! SO, please do help me out.

2. Zelkiiro profile image95
    Zelkiiroposted 5 years ago

The rating of a movie is based on the average score of its reviews. Say a TV show has 10 reviews, and the scores are, out of 10: 5, 3, 8, 10, 10, 4, 7, 1, 9, 8.

That's a total of 65 out of a possible 100, so the IMDB score will be 6.5 out of 10.

3. nanderson500 profile image87
    nanderson500posted 5 years ago

They're rated by users. The IMDB then uses a weighted rating system to calculate an overall rating. The website says, "IMDb publishes weighted vote averages rather than raw data averages. Various filters are applied to the raw data in order to eliminate and reduce attempts at 'vote stuffing' by individuals more interested in changing the current rating of a movie than giving their true opinion of it."

4. Cogerson profile image80
    Cogersonposted 5 years ago

Their rating comes from the registered users that visit the website...it is free to be a registered user....all you do is sign up and you can vote on any movie you want.  The Shawshank Redemption is currently their highest rated movie.

1. Zelkiiro profile image95
      Zelkiiroposted 5 years agoin reply to this

AS IT SHOULD BE.

5. MyGirlThursday profile image78
    MyGirlThursdayposted 5 years ago

it's based on both critic ratings and user ratings.

6. ServerFilme profile image63
    ServerFilmeposted 5 years ago

By users ratings. IMDb does not give ratings, users do this.

working