Inspiring movies like "Shawshank Redemption"

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. maheshpatwal profile image66
    maheshpatwalposted 11 years ago

Inspiring movies like  "Shawshank  Redemption"

The other night I was so thrilled and enlightened by watching the movie "SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION''. Can you please suggest me these kinda of motivational movies.

2. Hazzabanana8 profile image66
    Hazzabanana8posted 11 years ago

Inception is a film which is not necessarily 'inspiring' but is certainly 'enlightening'. Watching it was the only time I've been in the cinema and the audience clapped when the film endedc. You leave....affected by it. Memento is another film - same director - which had a similar effect on me.

maheshpatwalposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have inception on my PC. Now i'll surely watch it. I found  tom hanks starer "catch me if you can" very interesting and thrilling movie. Christopher Nolan's memento is made in two three indian languages and all of them received very good feedback

2. Hazzabanana8 profile image66
      Hazzabanana8posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Memento is incredible but it is a film where you have to pay attention to A, appreciate it, and B, understand what is going on

3. Amber522 profile image83
    Amber522posted 11 years ago

Green Mile. Awesome movie and somewhat similar. I believe it's by the same director but I could be wrong on that part.

4. bankscottage profile image91
    bankscottageposted 11 years ago

I love Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile, maybe the only 2 Stephen King movies I like.
    For other motivational movies:
    I like "October Sky" about high school kids in a coal mining town in WV who want to get out and not have to work in the coal mines like everyone else is destined to do.  The few that get out do it with sports.  These guys are not athletes.  They do it with their brains.  Sputnik inspires them to build a model rocket.  They take 3rd place in a national science fair and all end up going to college.  The main character, Homer, ends up working at NASA.
    For a motivational music movie I would go with "August Rush", an orphan "knows" his parents are still alive because he can "hear the music".  He is a music prodigy and by going to Julliard he composes a symphony that is played in Central Park.  His parents end up there (His mother because she plays just before his concert).
    Another good music movie is "Mr. Holland's Opus".  A musician wants to write a symphony.  Since he can't make much in the music business, he takes a gig as a high school music teacher to pay the bills.  He ends up retiring as a teacher, and the movie implies he feels he did not lead a fulfilling life.  At a surprise assembly for his retirement, his former students play his symphony.  His real symphony, his opus, was his students and how he impacted their lives.  His life is further challenged by having his only child be born deaf.  A man who's life is music has to introduce music into his deaf son's life.
    For sports movies, I like "Rudy".  "A five ft nuttin'" talentless football player from a family of steel mill workers is driven to not only get into Notre Dame, but to make the football team.  His guts and determination earn him a spot on the practice squad.  But, only players that actually get into a game are considered part of the team.  Thru struggles and more reasons than you can't count to quit, he finally dresses for a game.  Since Rudy plays defense, near the end of the game, the ND quarterback throws a touchdown pass (against the coaches desire to run out the clock).  With the entire stadium shouting "Rudy", the coach reluctantly puts him in.  The rest is history!
    Who can't find "Cool Runnings" motivational.  The Jamacain Bobsled team makes it to the Olympics and is competitive at that.  They earn the respect of many of the world class bobsledders and their countrymen along the way.  "Feel the Rhythm. Feel the Ride.  Get on up it's bobsled time.  Cool Runnings."

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I loved "October Sky" and "Cool Runnings".

2. maheshpatwal profile image66

I appreciate that you took some of your time out to write this very large detailed review. I have read lots of good reviews about the movie green mile and august rush, but never gotta a chance to watch these two movies. Surely watch them both.

5. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 11 years ago

The movie "Serendipity" is an inspirational love story. In fact,  it's the only chick flick I really enjoy.

Bruce Almighty may not be the best movie ever, but it is absolutely hilarious and has a good underlying meaning.

Midasfx I've seen both the movies. I must say both are awesome movies. I liked "Serendipity" the most when it comes to light hearted romantic movies.But you can not compare "Shawshank" with bruce almighty or "Serendipity". Thanks. Good movie taste.

2. Midasfx profile image67
      Midasfxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have never sat through the green mile but I have seen parts of it on the tele years ago. Didn't think it was that great.  And Shawshank, I was forced to watch this in a class in High school. Yep, I totally passed out and have never seen it since.

6. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

Crash is a very inspiring movie with multiple story lines and deep messages intertwined throughout.

7. noelyesakay profile image61
    noelyesakayposted 11 years ago

In terms of finding your place in terms of passions and career, "Julie and Julia" has affected me the most. "Dead Poets Society" is also one of my personal favorites. For movies that pre-date the 1980s, I recommend "The Miracle Worker," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," and, of course, "Rocky."

There are also a couple of filmed plays that inspire and enlighten. Stephen Sondheim's musical "Sunday in the Park with George" makes some observations about artistic careers that hit close to home. And any of Julia Sweeney's one woman shows are wonderful, in particular "God Said 'Ha!'" covers her brother's battle with Stage IV cancer and her entire family moving down to Los Angeles to be with him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)