jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

For those who have seen both classics, which do you believe is the superior film

1. nanderson500 profile image85
    nanderson500posted 5 years ago

For those who have seen both classics, which do you believe is the superior film?

The Godfather or The Godfather Part II?

2. Robephiles profile image89
    Robephilesposted 5 years ago

I think the original is the better movie.  I will acknowledge that the second film is more ambitious, and in some ways explores Michael Corleone on a deeper level, but I also think it romanticizes the mafia and Vito Corleone more than the first film.  The message of the second Godfather is the Michael has not lived up to his father, but his father was a viscous killer.  Not that I don't think the second one is a great film, just that it has a few more problems thematically than the first one does.  It is still a very close contest.

3. CarltheCritic1291 profile image74
    CarltheCritic1291posted 5 years ago

I personally like the first film better. This isn't to say the Part II was a bad film or anything, it's just the film quality overall in the first film was better (in terms of acting, cinematography, editing, etc.). That's just my opinion, but thanks for asking.

4. Cogerson profile image82
    Cogersonposted 5 years ago

My answer used to be The Godfather...but as I get older it seems that The Godfather Part II gets better and better....and now the contest is almost neck and neck...with the Godfather holding a slight lead......but I can see the Godfather Part II being in the lead at the next furlong.

5. TS Garp profile image69
    TS Garpposted 5 years ago

The original Godfather, hands down. The first part sets the tone, style, and gives the family history. We see how the horrific drama plays out, the power struggle, the betrayal, and ultimately the aftermath of which shapes the second film Godfather Part ll.