What makes so many religious people believe that they are SUPERIOR to atheists?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (57 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

What makes so many religious people believe that they are SUPERIOR to atheists?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8158069_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image36
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

Fortunately most I know don't feel this way, but the ones that do, I think it is fear based thinking.  Feeling superior to those who don't believe is a roundabout way of enforcing the comfort they derive from their faith.  It is also an emotionally immature response and a lot of people are prone to this.  In fairness, there are militant atheists too.  In my opinion there are less of them than the other way around. 

I feel in general, that anytime someone needs to feel truly superior to another (not just that they are right, everyone thinks that) but when they need to bash others to boost their own egos, it is due to insecurity and fear.  They don't want to embrace other ways of thinking or explore them because that would make them stare their own fears in the face - most people avoid their deepest fears by any means possible.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have just (very exquisitely) described an atheist. Dead on!

2. M. T. Dremer profile image83
      M. T. Dremerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe ChristinS was describing anyone who feels superior to someone else. Both christians and atheists can be capable of this; it's an individual's failing, not indicative of either group as a whole.

3. ChristinS profile image36
      ChristinSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly M.T but JThomp can't help but take little digs at atheists - it's his habit. I choose not to indulge it any further.

4. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with MT on this. I was actually gonna make this point but no need. funny how both sides only notice the negatives of the other.

5. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Christin. JThomp42 it seems as though you often wait in the sidelines for an opportunity to bash or complain about Atheists. There is plenty to complain about on both sides, so be fair. Else, it appears you do not practice what you preach.

6. profile image0

Mystic...... Oh the practice what you preach line. Gotta love that one. God and God only knows my heart. He knows my every thought. I strive daily to "practice what the Bible says." But, I REFUSE to be a punching bag for all egotistical atheists.

7. ChristinS profile image36

and yet you don't mind throwing punches JT. Something is conflicting with your heart. Ego is what attacks others and plays the victim, never seeing itself as it truly is. I believe you have a good heart, your approach to others not so much.

8. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not talking about what's in your heart JThomp42. I'm talking about how you present yourself to others. THAT is what makes you seem as though you do not practice what you preach. You complain about others fine. Just be fair to all.

9. profile image0

Christin......... No, I do not mind to throw punches when it comes to my convictions. I feel so strongly about them I would die for them. Would you do the same?

10. ChristinS profile image36

I live peacefully. I'd die to protect my family, but work myself into rage over other people's beliefs? not so much.

11. profile image0

Of course atheists would not die for their beliefs. This is because they really do not know "what" they believe. I would die for my beliefs because Jesus Christ died for me and all of mankind. YES... Even all of you who choose not to believe.

12. ChristinS profile image36

Why die for your beliefs? Why not simply love life, love others and be happy in your heart? I prefer peace to anger and I am positive enough about my beliefs and who I am to just enjoy the beauty of life. I've got no need to be hostile or defensive.

13. profile image0

I'm talking about the end of time Christin, in which is coming to fruition everyday. You will be given one more chance. Are you going to stand in front of God and deny him then?

14. ChristinS profile image36

Religious people throughout time have thought it was the end of days and yet we still keep on keepin' on. I don't believe in a diety, so there's nothing for me to deny or accept. I believe in life itself and enjoying it every day.

15. profile image0

All I have left to say is that I can lay my head down at night and not wonder what will happen if I do not awake. This is "peace" that everyone has the right to have. All you must do is believe. Have a great day Christin.

16. ChristinS profile image36

I don't wonder about it either JThomp. Belief is not the same as knowing. Why concern myself with what might be? Live for now it's where true peace lies. None of us knows for sure, so it makes no sense to worry about it. I choose joy in the present.

17. taburkett profile image59
      taburkettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

immoral individuals continue to swell evil as they live in the demented rapture being broadcast to others. this places many youth in an immoral embrace with those spreading the evil. Moral Christians challenge this but others support the degradation

18. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And there the dialogue stopped, lol !!  42 hours ago.   Mr, Mrs or Miss nonsense has just stepped into the chat room.

19. LoisRyan13903 profile image71
      LoisRyan13903posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer.  Because I don't feel superior to others

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Religious people; the one's that I know anyway, do not feel superior to anyone. The only difference between an atheist and a religious person is that we believe in a higher power. I do not know why as Christians, Muslims, etc. are considered fearful. It is not fear that draws us to God. It is the love that he has shown us.

Then you have those who always say that we are trying to shove our beliefs down your throats. This is not the case. Our Bible; as a Christian, tells us we must spread the good news. It is as simple as if you do not want to watch something on TV, TURN THE CHANNEL.

1. M. T. Dremer profile image83

It isn't the preacher on the corner, handing out bibles, that upsets an atheist. It's the religious congressman who makes christian-based laws that non-christians have to follow.

2. profile image0

M.T........ What laws?

3. M. T. Dremer profile image83

The defense of marriage act, don't ask don't tell and anything involving contraception (usually tied to health care). Not to mention the word 'god' on money and in the pledge of a country that is constitutionally neutral on religion.

4. profile image0

Then move.

5. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

??????????????

6. profile image0

@M.T.
      arent we all forced to follow laws that we dont entirely agree with though? doesnt everyones worldview play a part in their politics? are all U.S. laws christian based?

7. Borsia profile image37
      Borsiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Typical arrogant Christian response. Why would I move? My family was here long before there was an America. They came and fought to create a country of religious freedom including freedom not to believe or be governed by religion. A secular country.

8. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Borsia, TOTALLY agree.  Religionists SHOULD realize that THEIR way is NOT the only right, correct, or legitimate way.  A THOUSAND applauses, Borsia, a THOUSAND applauses and shout outs to YOU.

9. profile image0

America was founded on Christianity by Christians. You cannot deny this. Please check your American History. This country was not founded as a secular nation. It was formed as a Christian nation that wanted to get away from religious persecution.

10. M. T. Dremer profile image83

Disagreeing with laws is different from laws that oppress a minority. And why would I move? I'm not the one violating the U.S. constitution. If the founding fathers wanted a christian nation, they would have written it in there.

11. profile image0

@M.T.
      which laws oppress minorities? if there are some, do you disagree with them? just a comment i cant help but make. our gov has made a joke of the constitution. it doesnt exist at this point and isnt worth mentioning really.

12. M. T. Dremer profile image83

I already mentioned two laws in my above comment that oppress gays and lesbians. Or at least they did before they were overturned. Everyone rushes to the constitution when guns are the issue, but when it's religion they conveniently forget about it.

13. taburkett profile image59
      taburkettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Morality is established through ethic principles supported by society. Currently, immoral individuals press society to tolerate immoral acts as if they were moral. No tolerance level can turn immoral into moral. The immoral do not recognize this law.

14. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Once again, his/her entry stops a conversation in its tracks.

Maybe mine do also......

15. Thief12 profile image71
      Thief12posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I must infer from this line of comments that the US is a Christian nation meant only for Christians. No atheists or people from other religions accepted, unless you agree with everything Christians decide, right? Interesting.

4. taburkett profile image59
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

How do you define "many"? Is it more than 50% of the individuals or maybe just more than 25% of the individuals, or is it less than 10% of the individuals?
    How do you define "believe"? Is it by explanation of the "many" or maybe just a self-imposed permeated definition?
    Where do these "many" call home? Is it in the large cities or maybe in a section of the world or just in some existing fortitude bounded by theory?
    American Atheists, Inc. states "Atheism may be defined as the mental attitude which unreservedly accepts the supremacy of reason and aims at establishing a life-style and ethical outlook verifiable by experience and scientific method, independent of all arbitrary assumptions of authority and creeds."
    Furthermore, American Atheists, Inc. states "Materialism declares that the cosmos is devoid of immanent conscious purpose; that it is governed by its own inherent, immutable, and impersonal laws; that there is no supernatural interference in human life; that humankind -- finding their resources within themselves -- can and must create their own destiny. Materialism restores dignity and intellectual integrity to humanity. It teaches that we must prize our life on earth and strive always to improve it. It holds that human beings are capable of creating a social system based on reason and justice. Materialism's "faith" is in humankind and their ability to transform the world culture by their own efforts. This is a commitment which is in its very essence life-asserting. It considers the struggle for progress as a moral obligation that is impossible without noble ideas that inspire us to bold, creative works. Materialism holds that our potential for good and more fulfilling cultural development is, for all practical purposes, unlimited."
    The American Atheists, Inc. statement "independent of all arbitrary assumptions of authority and creeds" indicates that their presence is based solely on individual intelligence passed down by an incredibly vague independent assumption.
    Then rasping through dependence, the American Atheists, Inc. sprout dedication to materialistic admiration rather than righteousness of spirit.
    This portrayal of cultural systems based on a materialistic juggernaut position presents a quasi-religious position for the atheist.
    On the other hand, the moral individual that follows the path introduced by Jesus to avert sin is an open ended freely entered environment.  Choice is based on individual love and truth not limited science.

1. M. T. Dremer profile image83

You're confusing materialistic with tangible. There is nothing wrong with having admiration for what is tangible, like life, love and science. And the narrow certainty of Christianity is anything but open ended.

2. Borsia profile image37

AA inc? who are they to speak for anyone? Less than 2300 members and a facebook page does not make them an authority on atheism or spokesmen for 5 million atheist.

5. Borsia profile image37
    Borsiaposted 11 years ago

Fortunately there are far more who don't fit that description even fewer when you are outside America.
    Those that do feign some sore of superiority complex do so primarily out of fear.
    Fear that atheist don't take their beliefs seriously, fear that others having different beliefs will crack their glass bubble. Fear of not being able to answer hard questions with anything beyond their faith and that that faith won't be accepted as proof of fact.
    It is a basic defensive reaction to insecurity.
    The same can be said regardless of why people feign superiority for the most part.

6. kknde profile image70
    kkndeposted 11 years ago

No, i think they are not. If they think like this, this mean that they actually are inferior people. All the people have their values, but there is none upper than the other..

7. PoeticFailosophy profile image56
    PoeticFailosophyposted 11 years ago

God tells them they are.  But it's okay because atheists believe they are superior to religionists.  Everyone is superior to everyone else!

1. profile image0

God says that? in what religion?

8. Brandon Tart profile image59
    Brandon Tartposted 11 years ago

Misunderstanding.  If it's Christianity and its cohorts you are referring to, then many "Christians" merely DO NOT READ the text.

I don't recall Christ ever acting superior to people, rather, taking on the role of a servant.  On the other hand, he did literally whip the scribes and pharisees for turning the Temple into a place of Profits - selling goods and animals for higher prices so that people could practice the tradition of making holy sacrifices from a good heart. 

But to get to the thick of things - your question (a good one) is real at times, and other times it is perceived to be the case.  One bad apple can spoil the lot of them.  Christ used the idea of leaven, or, yeast spreading like a cancer through the dough - unleavened bread is from the mill that does not become puffed up with self-righteous pride. 

Perhaps the point these particular religious imbeciles miss is that Christ gave away salvation to as many as believed in his words.  So if they are living hyper-moral lives, then their attention is fixed on their own efforts, and not on the efforts of someone who lived a perfect life for them.  I make no apology for such "believers", as they don't believe to begin with -- it is not about them! 

However, when I get puffed up, and I do, I TRY to make corrections, beginning with admitting to my error, apologizing and asking for the forgiveness of others.  Since none of us are perfect, it's fair to say  that at some point, we've all been a little snide to the Other.  Taking note of this, we do have time and opportunities to make it right, made peace, and move on - whether we believe it all or not.

9. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

I think that there are so many wonderful answers and response to this question.
    I do not want to point fingers of make anyone uncomfortable, but in the religions that I have studied I could see why some religious people would think that they are superior to atheists. 
    1. Not all but some, religious believe they are connect to a higher power and non believers are not.
    2. Not all but some, religious people think that they will be the chosen who after this life will go to paradise/heaven/shamballa/nirvana, where ever, and the rest will not go there.

I would just ask that we consider that for a moment.

Personally, I am not saying anyone is superior or anyone is inferior, we will all die in the end and we will find out where we arrive at that point in time. 

Best wishes to all believers as well as atheists.

10. VINCENTB profile image59
    VINCENTBposted 11 years ago

Because there religion teaches them to be this way because of the glory of the Most
    High. I wouldn't say superior I would say they may feel like they are going to a place  atheists are not!

1. Borsia profile image37

Something we atheist are happy about, or would be f we were going anywhere.

11. hardlymoving profile image65
    hardlymovingposted 11 years ago

Perhaps they have more faith in something while atheists fundamental question everything and believe in nothing?

12. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years ago

Maybe it allows them to feel justified imposing their authority on others.

Evangelizing to other people, other cultures, other societies, needs one to feel superior, otherwise why would you be there?

13. Thief12 profile image71
    Thief12posted 11 years ago

There are people like that in both groups, not only within religious people. This is a general attitude problem that permeates a lot of people, and it has nothing to do with religion or atheists. There are people at work and school that feel superior to other co-workers because of the job they do or how smart they are. There are people on the street that feel superior to others because of the car they drive or how they look. Heck, even siblings feel superior to other siblings. So I don't think this is an issue that has to be made about religion. It's just people.

14. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 11 years ago

Belonging to a religion automatically means that you are in a clique, or a certain exalted clan. Well, probably religious people perceive atheists as people who are without a school of thought, like freewheeling wanderers who do not have the 'privileges' or the many connections religious people have.

15. TB Bullock profile image61
    TB Bullockposted 11 years ago

If they do, then they are following a "religion" that honestly should not be followed. As a Christian, I truly despise people who consider themselves superior to anybody, regardless of their affiliations or personal beliefs. Most of my best friends are atheists or agnostics and I will readily admit that they are all smarter than me, and some appear to be even happier and that is okay with me. The God that I believe in teaches the opposite of this practice and vehemently shuts down anyone who holds this obnoxious attitude. On behalf of any real Christian, I hope that this does not happen to you in the name of Jesus, and if it does then whoever it is that did it will, in my opinion, answer for that rude and tactless action. Take care.

1. Harishprasad profile image71
      Harishprasadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dear T.B. Bullock, you do not sound a mere believer. From your response, you are having a broader and very impressive outlook which is the hallmark of a very refined and dignified being. You have really picked up right threads from the cloth of Jesus

16. Harishprasad profile image71
    Harishprasadposted 10 years ago

A truly religious person is an avatar of humility, totally devoid of pride of any kind. It is a wrong notion to assume a believer in a faith as a religious person. Religious means who has extracted the essence of all that is good and fruitful for a peaceful and happy life. A religious person is always curious about the whole creation and human existence. He/she is always in awe of        mysteries of the universe that are all around. It is a clear sign of a  religious person that he/she does not differentiate between two                          human beings. The persons who claim to be religious and the     most knowledgeable about God are in fact ignorant in the path of   God. Such persons are very egoists and see the adherents of   other faiths in contempt and abhor them no end. These fanatics   always assert supremacy of their religion over other religions of   the world. These are the very people who assume them as   superior to the atheists. In fact, atheists are the most   distinguished persons who are passionate about using their   intellect to the maximum and only then they arrive at a decision   and accept or reject something. They are not blind in their   outlook. It is strange that God who is assumed to be using his  infinite intellect in creation will ever allow blind belief, rather He  will be happy if we mortals use our finite intellect to think about  Him or His creation. God will definitely be happy if a religious  person succeeds to convince an atheist with his logical arguments. I think God will rejoice to see our earnestness and persistent search. God will never be approving of not using our minds and thus render them dormant and inactive. God wants us to ever remain busy in creative thoughts and not in an outer show of His vain worship. If such is the religious guy, he will never treat an atheist as lowly and demeaning. My friend, what you are saying is very true about a believer who is blinded by belief but a real seeker and a truly religious person is far dignified a man to be described. Such a person is a gem of humanity and with his divinity and divine words, he/she remains busy in the welfare of humankind and spreading light wherever darkness exists. We can trace such persons on the lap of mother earth even today and can learn a lot from them. Superiority complex is just not in the genes of the religious or spiritual person. When such a person spreads his/her light, the world looks in amazement, every kind of stupidity disappears before their graceful demeanor and pious appearance. Does it help

17. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

The same thing that makes so many atheists think that they are superior to religious people. And the same thing that makes so many Democrats think they are superior to Republicans, and vice versa. And the same thing that makes so many biologists think they're superior to ecologists. And the same thing that makes so many theoretical mathematicians think that they are superior to physicists.

One word: Ego!

Ego is vulnerable. It is easily bruised. A great deal of energy is spent protecting ego and building it up. Ego is both perpetrator and victim. Ego is selfishness and separateness. Ego can be bad, but it can also be good for its own sake. Ego likes to let everyone know when they donate or contribute.

Any religious person who lets their ego get out of hand, is betraying the purpose of their religion -- in fact, betraying the purpose of all religions -- spiritual awakening. Ego is the blindfold that keeps the spirit dead asleep.

Ego is the powerhouse that attracts so many psychopaths to the halls of power. And those psychopaths have become maestros of playing egos like a symphony.

So, when you hear anyone talking of divisive attitudes and topics, they are feeding ego. They are pitting the religious against atheists, the global warming crowd against deniers, 9/11 truthers against debunkers, and every other group against its enemy.

Remove ego from the world and you no longer have evil. Period.

18. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

Personally, I believe that, sadly, it works both ways.  Why?  Because everyone wants to feel that they have some sort of "special" knowledge or wisdom that everyone else is missing.  The atheist may feel that they are more intelligent, rational, and logical than the average believer.  The believer may feel that they are safer, more secure, and more loved than the average atheist.  In reality, the attitude is more understandable coming from an atheist - not necessarily right, but understandable.  That attitude from a believer though, is unacceptable.  IF we believe that we are safe, secure, and loved because of our relationship with our God, it should be because we've come to know him as he really is - the source of all that is good.  And if that's the case, and we believe that he feels that humanity is his crowing achievement, we ought to recognize that he loves ALL of humanity and we are called to do no less.  Enforcing one's superiority is about as anti-loving as it gets.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)