jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you believe classic literature is better than today's literature? If so, why?

1. ScarlaBlack profile image84
    ScarlaBlackposted 4 years ago

Do you believe classic literature is better than today's literature? If so, why?

What in particular makes the classics better than the new novels at your local bookstore?

2. Benjimester profile image95
    Benjimesterposted 4 years ago

It feels like apples and oranges.  I love reading classics because of the eloquence of the writing and the difference in subject matter, but newer stories are definitely more gripping and exciting.  For example, I just read Robinson Crusoe last month and I hated it at first because of how dull it was.  But then I came to love it after awhile.  And I realized quickly that a book like that would never get published in the modern era.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

It's entirely based on the generation reading it. For example, reading the Time Machine today, we might think it's an eloquently written classic. Reading it at the time it was written, many people probably saw it as trash. A great deal of the early genre fiction writers were not taken seriously, their stories being published in the equivalent of a sleazy magazine or comic book. Only with age have they developed a following and become regarded as classics. So, we can't really judge today's literature by the same scale. Only time will tell which ones will survive to become classics.

4. profile image0
    hiba naeemposted 4 years ago

Subtlety for one thing.There would be a hint of sarcasm,dash of hatred,just a pinch of racism or sexuality for that matter.Taboo for controversies and extreme phobias appear more in contemporary works...for me those are the reasons why classics triumph over well...new works

working