jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What violin brands (if it matters) are suitable for beginners?

1. Ragnelle profile image70
    Ragnelleposted 5 years ago

What violin brands (if it matters) are suitable for beginners?

I'm planning to take up violin lessons (adult). So, I was thinking, are there any specific brands that a beginner like me should consider? Are there such things like a beginner's violin?

2. Gatti profile image66
    Gattiposted 5 years ago

You should look for a cheap no name violin for just starting up and get the name brand ones later on.

1. profile image0
      ViolinByCourtneyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is not usually considered good advice. Extremely cheap violins often don't stay in tune and can cause a lot of frustration for a beginner. The best option is to rent a decent student instrument, which in my city is $20/month, no interest.

3. profile image0
    ViolinByCourtneyposted 4 years ago

Violins do not really have brands unless they are mass manufactured in China. They have makers, called luthiers, and perhaps a dead master whose style the luthier copied. For example, my violin came from K.C. Strings. The master luthier at K.C. Strings is Anton Krutz, so his name is inside the instrument, but I imagine one of his apprentices made it since it is not their most expensive model. It also says "Stradivarius Copy" below Krutz's mark because Krutz studied and copies the style of Antonio Stradivari. I have a hub that covers this topic in more detail: http://violinbycourtney.hubpages.com/hu … g-a-Violin

working