jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Did you learn to play a musical instrument when you were a child?

1. AussieTreeChange profile image72
    AussieTreeChangeposted 5 years ago

Did you learn to play a musical instrument when you were a child?

Did you learn to play any musical instruments as a child?  which was it?  I learnt how to play the organ.  I had lessons for about 5 years from the age of about 11.  My parents still have that organ which I haven't touched since I was 16!  I am so grateful now because it taught me how to read music, something I have never forgotten.

2. profile image0
    Olde Cashmereposted 5 years ago

I got my first guitar when I was 8 years old and my first bass guitar and drum set when I was 14. They were awesome to have for exploring my creativity. Eventually I joined a few bands over the years and played live shows which were amazing life experiences. I am still in a band with my good friend and we get together and jam just for fun now days.

AussieTreeChangeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very talented. How exciting to be able to perform on stage in a band!   thanks for your comment smile

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

Why yes I did.  I started playing an acoustic guitar behind my grandfather at eleven or twelve years old.  Mostly, at the time, I was just trying to strum in time, and change chords in time while he sang things like "Me and Bobbie McGee," or "Folsom Prison Blues."

When I got a little older I had a terrific instructor who taught me to fingerpick and to flatpick.

Wonderful memories for you and your grandfather. Thanks for your comment smile

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes. Piano for years, guitar for only two years, and voice for 11 years. Piano and voice are the ones I still use for entertainment purposes.

I would love to have been able to sing too! smile  thanks for  your comment.

5. profile image0
    Moeskyposted 5 years ago

No. But I wanted to. My parents had an accordion before I was born, but my dad traded it for a settee (or something). We also had a piano, but he traded that for a washing machine (for my mum). I grew up hearing stories of my grandfather who could play lots of instruments, but we couldn't afford one, or lessons. I got my first guitar at 15 or 16, but it was almost unplayable. Music lessons at school were only for those who could already play.
    So I started late, and taught myself... guitar, sax, piano, harmonica, bass, mandolin, tin whistle, and singing and songwriting...
    But I made sure I had all the instruments available at home for my own son, who made the piano his primary instrument and took lessons in jazz improvisation. Now he's into guitar too.
    I taught myself to understand music theory, but I can't sight-read... still got to learn that.

Enjoyed reading your story.  Thanks for sharing! smile

6. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 5 years ago

lol Yes, I learned to play piano - more like forced to learn to play piano (for about six years or so, starting when I was about six years old). I am not grateful for the experience as I do not even go close to pianos now. Never liked them to begin with and obviously after being forced to play one for years, I like them even less (in terms of me playing one - I don't mind listening).

7. renee21 profile image83
    renee21posted 4 years ago

My parents started me on piano lessons when I was 5 years old.  I have now been playing for 16 years.  I love playing my piano!

working