jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you feel about musical acts from the 70s/80s continuing to tour in the 21

1. kereeves3 profile image80
    kereeves3posted 4 years ago

How do you feel about musical acts from the 70s/80s continuing to tour in the 21st century?

When bands like Fleetwood Mac and Foreigner play shows in your town - or close to your town - do you pay the money to see them?  Do you ever feel like tickets are too expensive?  Is it cool to see 50+ year old guys/gals rockin' out on stage?

2. sarahmoose profile image79
    sarahmooseposted 4 years ago

I probably wouldn't go and see them (simply not my taste in most cases!) but I did go and see Simply Red on their Farewell tour a couple of years ago, and they were great. If they can still perform their music well, I don't see why they shouldn't carry on as long as they have! If Freddie Mercury were still alive, I'm sure he would be rocking out with the rest of Queen. Good luck to them, I say!

3. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

If they can still bring it, why shouldn't they continue to perform?

KISS are still the Gold Standard of big, flashy explosive live shows.

A year or two ago Pat Benatar came through my area, she may not be a spring chicken anymore but she can still belt just as good as she did in the old days. (and she's still pretty hot too!)

4. Amber Vyn profile image61
    Amber Vynposted 4 years ago

If the arena rock artists of yesteryear can still command ticket sales and put on a show that people want to see, I say go for it! People in the 50s think that people in their 20s look ridiculous bouncing around on stage, and people in their 20s think people in their 50s rockin' out look ridiculous. That's just a function of human nature. 

Regarding pricing of concert tickets, the Interwebs are to blame. Back in the 90s, touring was a loss-leader, and some acts that had super-successful album sales wouldn't even bother to tour (e.g. Shania Twain with her breakthrough album). Touring was basically just an advertisement for the band. Sometimes labels would even subsidize a tour for a new act because they knew they'd make the money back with album sales.

With the legs cut out from under the music business in terms of sales, the costs of tickets have skyrocketed. It's all switched around now: the album is the loss-leader for the tour, merchandising, and licensing.   

I miss the days of affordable concert tickets. However, I understand the economics that are driving the trend.

working