jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What is the greatest Disney movie of all time?

1. EJ Lambert profile image74
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

What is the greatest Disney movie of all time?

Nobody would dare ask this question in a group.  So I will pose it to the HubPages universe.  To all my Disney fanatics:  I dare you to torture your brain and pick the movie you believe best represents what makes the Disney franchise greater than the rest.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8028016_f260.jpg

2. RachaelLefler profile image95
    RachaelLeflerposted 4 years ago

I would say Mulan. It used a cunning integration of CG and animation that was cutting-edge at the time. It shows how much research Disney does for it's shows. It also had memorable, good characters, and what made it historically inaccurate (the "real" Mulan was more badass but less relate-able), also only helped make it a better kid's movie. I also really love the music and in particular Jackie Chan's rendition in Chinese of "I'll Make a Man Out of You". It's also one of Disney's most successful in my opinion at being feminist and showing a different cultural perspective than white/European. The other movie that does these things well would be Princess and the Frog.

EJ Lambertposted 4 years agoin reply to this

An under-the-radar but intriguing choice.  I always felt Mulan never gets the credit it deserved because it came out at the tail end of the "hand drawn" era right before Pixar came on the scene.  Nice choice.

3. kereeves3 profile image82
    kereeves3posted 4 years ago

The Lion King would be my pick.  Although The Little Mermaid is my favorite because I grew up singing the songs and watching it constantly, The Lion King is an overall masterpiece.  The story is loosely based on Shakespeare, and it is visually stunning.  I feel like everybody knows and loves the music, too.  The Lion King teaches viewers (mainly children) the importance of courage, loyalty, and friendship.

1. RachaelLefler profile image95
      RachaelLeflerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I like the Lion King, and it also has one of the best sequels. Disney doesn't have the best track record with those.

2. EJ Lambert profile image74

In terms of commercial success and overall brilliance, you may have the one.  Everything came together from the blend of animation to the music and the voice acting.  There was no inherent flaw anyone could find with the movie.

4. stars439 profile image75
    stars439posted 4 years ago

For me it was a movie about Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier. Fess Parker was Davy. Davy fought at the Alamo. Davy was a congressman. Davy wrestled a bear when he was only three. I got a BB gun for my Christmas present, and it had a scope.
    I could not crank my Daisy BB rifle. At six years old I would run all the way back home from the woods so that my big brother could crank my BB gun.
    I hated it when Santa Anna's army of thousands killed Jim Bowie, and Davy Crokett at the Alamo.
    They were brave Americans.Every American in the Alamo was brave.
    Oh Well ! That movie must be at least over sixty years old. It was the best movie ever made in the Universe, and Walt Disney, and Donald Duck, and Mickey mouse, and the Micky mouse club was cool. Everyone else's answers are cool too. I like the Lion King, and a lot of Disney movies.

Age is just a state of mind.  Davy is a forgotten classic kids today should know about.  In fact a lot of movies from that era get overlooked because of the animated features.

5. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 4 years ago

My personal favorite is Aladdin. But I can see cases being made for The Lion King, or some of the early ones like Snow White.

Aladdin is an excellent choice, part of what I call the "Elite Four" during the 1990s.  It was Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King to finish.  An awesome stretch.

6. victoria1800 profile image80
    victoria1800posted 4 years ago

My all time favourites from when I was young are Beauty and the beast and The little mermaid. I also like Lady and the tramp, Bambi and The lion king. I have three boys so they pretend not to like the Disney princess movies but I know they love them really lol. Their favourites are Robin Hood and Tarzan.

working