jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Is it possible to teach yourself how to stop changing keys in the middle of sing

1. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

Is it possible to teach yourself how to stop changing keys in the middle of singing a song?

On my bucket list:  sing one song in a karaoke bar and sing it well.  People in my life who can sing have told me I switch keys back and forth when singing.  I guess I can hear it.  I don't have the time or money for individual singing lessons, but I really, really, really want to be able to knock one song out of the ballpark at a Karaoke bar once in my life.

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

You need to be able to hear yourself while you sing so you can catch yourself. It would take a lot of motivation and creative theories.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image87
      Billie Kelpinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Leah, that's NOT what I wanted to hear.  Drats.  I actually can hear it now after my husband and my daughter have helped me become aware.  It's when I can't reach the note exactly that I go for anything that's around it smile Ugh.  I WANT to sing!

2. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Then get a personal trainer once a week. Maybe a friend at your church or if you have friends with kids that sing, they usually know someone who can help you out. After joining a choir, I found out they hide secrets on how to sing and sing well.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image87

my daughter was on the US Broadway tour of "Mamma Mia" a few yrs ago, but is so busy. My husband's parents have sung in the Swedish choir for yr., but are in MN, my husband can sing, his son is a sound engineer - no one wants to take me on. Cowards!

4. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Or they might not want to ruin the relationship. When training someone close to you, it can be difficult. Especially if they are family members.

5. Billie Kelpin profile image87

I think they all think I might break or worse still, cry  (I'm the family's cry-er). Cheers, Leah

working