jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What would you call the golden age of cinema?

1. Tim Quam profile image62
    Tim Quamposted 4 years ago

What would you call the golden age of cinema?

The textbook answer would be from the late 1920s when talkies began to be produced to the early 1960s, the end of the studio era.  You may have a different definition.

2. EJ Lambert profile image72
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

I disagree.  I think it was from 1970 to 1989.  In the 70s you had The Godfather, then Godfather 2, Jaws, Star Wars, Grease, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Superman, Alien, Exorcist, Blazing Saddles, Rocky, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Willie Wonka, Close Encounters and Animal House among others.

Then you get into the '80s with The Shining, Back to the Future, The Goonies, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan, E.T., Die Hard, Scarface, Blade Runner, Full Metal Jacket, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Aliens, Empire Strikes Back, Predator, The Terminator, Ghostbusters, The Little Mermaid, Batman, Airplane and Beetlejuice.

It was a great time to be a movie fan.

3. V Kumar profile image75
    V Kumarposted 4 years ago

I am not an expert on cinema, but I can share my views on Indian Cinema or rather Hindi Cinema, often called as Bollywood. Its golden age was from the end of forties to the early seventies, and its peak would be around 1957, when some of most creative movies were made.

4. tillsontitan profile image87
    tillsontitanposted 4 years ago

I totally agree with the textbook answer.  Not only were the films great but the stars were true stars!  Nothing will ever replace "Gone With the Wind" or "Shane" or the Hitchcock greats..so many, many wonderful classic moves and movie stars.
    There are great movies after 1960 but none can compare with the classics.

5. Rchrdsnc profile image84
    Rchrdsncposted 4 years ago

I think that the golden age is right now.  It is always in the making.

6. lions44 profile image98
    lions44posted 4 years ago

I think EJ comes close, but I would say '65-'77.  Movies began dealing with new subject matter and in a sense it was very daring.  Besides The Godfather (I & II) and Star Wars, you have Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  Eastwood's spaghetti westerns (minus the first one in '64).  Even John Wayne's movies went from the jingoistic to gritty and more in depth.  I would add Rosemary's Baby, Cool Hand Luke, The Wild Bunch, Where Eagles Dare (kind of traditional, but I liked it) and maybe Cinderella Liberty.  And don't forget about Taxi Driver as well.

working