Don't you hate how the rich flaunt their wealth

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. RealityTalk profile image60
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

Don't you hate how the rich flaunt their wealth

Professional athletes, actors, musicians, corporate elite.  So many of them flaunt their wealth while most of America struggles to pay their bills.  Tennis' Wimbledon is playing now.  Top tennis player Roger Feder is one bad example.  He adds to his wealth doing TV commercials pulling his trophies  in a wagon to the awe of onlookers; he wears tennis shoes w/gold in them. He is just one bad example.  I'm sure you can think of so many more.

2. residentstone profile image57
    residentstoneposted 10 years ago

Yuppers! They would be the first to go in my 99% scenario. lol! In some cases, I'm sure they earned it, but in others it just seems like dumb luck and America's stupidity that got them there, and that makes me sick.

1. residentstone profile image57
      residentstoneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I mean like c'mon Jay-Z worth 500 million?, he can't even rap, he sold crack before he hit it big, his music sucks, and I actually like well thought out hip hop. He visits the White House as an esteemed guest? N*gga please!

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

residentstone......I hope that you are a black man.......because if not, I wonder if you have been following the Paula Deen scandal?  Words do matter.

3. residentstone profile image57
      residentstoneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Phew! No, thank god! And notice, no ER at the end, that makes it ok, just ask black people. If you replace it with an A, it's fine. 100,000 hip-hop albums can't be wrong. Hate Paula Deen, but she got railroaded for nothing. Ridiculous.

4. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

"er"  or "a"...the word is what it is.....I'll pass on "polling black people" on this....and just assume that they prefer it not be used by white people?   and...did you mean, "Phew! No, thank god!" as reply to my hope? Oh brother...I give up.

3. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 10 years ago

People earn what others are willing to pay them. I find no fault in their willingness to earn what they can. I do agree that I wish more of those who have earned millions would voluntarily help those in need. May do, but more could. I do believe that it should only be through voluntary exchange, but not by confiscatory means...not government taxation and force. What one does with their own property and earnings should be, unless illegal (a topic for another place) be up to the person who earned it.

1. RealityTalk profile image60
      RealityTalkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have less problems with people earning millions than I do with them flaunting their millions.

4. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 10 years ago

Sad to say wealth often brings with it an attitude of superiority. Lol, in comment to paying bills, the reason many Americans are struggling to pay their bills is because they are trying to appear wealthy by buying homes, cars, and luxuries they cannot afford! Just a thought...

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

RT.....There are many filthy rich who DO FLAUNT...brag and behave like THEY ARE their money.  Basically, it is blatantly clear that their wealth is how they present themselves and means much more to them, than the PERSON they present.  Having said that.....the behavior is directly based on WHAT they have.  It is highly unlikely for individuals with poor upbringing, void of moral fiber or even basic social skills, to be gracious, grateful & generous, (commonly referred to as "class") when they acquire multi-millions. 
    What literally boggles my mind, beyond all else, are the major MEGA-Corporations that throw MONEY at MONEY......I must ask:  How badly did Donald and Ivana Trump need the "job," to do a "Pizza Hut," commercial?   Are all those athletes and rock stars, in need of the money....from starring in commercials and/or representing a product?
    Corporate America.....WHY DO YOU DO THIS?  I would like to humbly suggest that the BIG BRAND PRODUCT Co., that publicizes that all of their marketing & advertising, will be produced by hiring ordinary, average American citizens, off the streets, in an INTENTIONAL, PURPOSEFUL & PLANNED EFFORT to "help spread the Corp wealth to the little, unknown guy."...would be so respected and appreciated....their sales would skyrocket beyond belief.   And that suggestion would flop on deaf ears....I know.
    I guess to be fair, we need to acknowledge that there are the MEGA rich, who do help others....as in Buffet, Gates, Winfrey, etal...OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNTS OF MONEY.  Just I M A G I N E .....just ONE of those I named, have more money than the ENTIRE total of incomes combined...of the 5600 people that make up the population of the WHOLE TOWN WHERE I LIVE.....and maybe even yours thrown in there too! LOL  Thinking about it that way, is enough to make a person cry......don't you think?  Gosh.
    Those who flaunt...need to be ignored.  Gold in his tennis shoes?  Might be much more impressive if his heart were made of gold....eh?  Such is life.....sigh...............

1. Efficient Admin profile image83
      Efficient Adminposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think many of the "flaunters" mentioned above just LOVE being in the spotlight and LOVE all the attention. Any attention is great to them. They like having their faces all over TV so maybe that's why they do these commercials. Attention hogs?

6. Efficient Admin profile image83
    Efficient Adminposted 10 years ago

I don't have a problem with wealthy people having all this money and stuff and if they flaunt it, oh well.  But I do really wonder what would happen to them and how they would handle truly losing all of it.  Wealth can be fleeting as we have seen. What would happen to them if they really lost everything -- IRS took away the mansions and cars and cash, or whatever the situation.  How would they handle being broke and not knowing where their next meal was going to come from? How would they handle not knowing if they would have a roof over their head next week?

7. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

The long time mayor of the city where I use to live was a doctor, who made house calls. He purchased some marsh land that no one wanted. The oil boom came and he made millions upon millions.

He technically took no salary for his job as mayor. It was paid to him, but then he gave it right back. He donated money one year to balance the city budget. I figured it out and he asked me not to mention his name. I agreed.

I have know other people who have done very well, they just do not go flaunting it like some do.

As far as sports figures, and the like, as long as people are willing to pay outrageous prices for tickets and sponsors pay huge endorsement fees, we are going to have this issue. Actually, I think part of the flaunting is due to the media. Some high profile and rich people do a lot of philanthropic things with their money.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)