jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Has social media wrecked the richness of our languages?

1. Sundeep Kataria profile image73
    Sundeep Katariaposted 4 years ago

Has social media wrecked the richness of our languages?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8525106_f260.jpg

2. josters profile image82
    jostersposted 4 years ago

I personally don't think so. I think language always undergoes changes, for example words that were considered negative a century ago are totally acceptable today and the other way round (supernatural, disease compared to, e.g. sexuality, identity).
    The language used in social media is just the next level, the next necessary development before it's going to be used up and another change will occur.
    Just take language (and especially the written word) from any remote epoch and you will find out that some people were really upset with the "new" style of language the younger writers used to speak and write in, while others just went with it and accepted, even adapted to it.
    I don't think the richness is being destroyed either. The old masterpieces are still availale today and will be it for a long time.

1. Sundeep Kataria profile image73
      Sundeep Katariaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Janik D. You have put forth your views very nicely.

3. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

I don't think one can blame social media so much as massive ignorance and a failing education system.
    But when you hear people speak or read most any periodical, on or off line, the English language is definitely on the decline.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I definitely don't think that social media is helping language. Sure, it gives us new words and abbreviations, but it also lets us get away with some pretty lazy writing. But, I think language will endure. Like josters said, the classics of literature will always be around. So, those who are interested will be able to find them again.

working