jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is it Idiot Box or Idiot's Box?

1. jainismus profile image70
    jainismusposted 4 years ago

Is it Idiot Box or Idiot's Box?

Television is said to be an Idiot Box.  In same way, can we call it as 'Idiot's Box?
    Image credit: Wikimedia Commons

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8621973_f260.jpg

2. magictrickshq profile image59
    magictrickshqposted 4 years ago

Not sure what your question is here, but I would suggest: the idiot box

3. artblack01 profile image60
    artblack01posted 4 years ago

I would say both, depending on how you are referring to it. Tv is a waste of time and has a purpose not many people will accept. Its intended purpose is NOT to entertain people, but to sell to them. It is an electronic billboard for your home. How do you get people to watch an electronic billboard? By giving them sonething to want to watch along with sales pitches. Tv is also a communication device but that is a small percent of its daily use by people.
    The result of watching tv is the fat stupid american couch potato. This is where the term idiot box or idiot's box comes from, people tend to believe everything the person on the tv tells them. Commercials, fake news, and mind numbingly stupid sitcoms. Go outside people, read a book, get a hobbie.... if you wanna use that idiot box then rent a movie or in our day and age netflix.... but limit your time to the length of one movie and then do something else.... like read.

4. Thomas Swan profile image95
    Thomas Swanposted 4 years ago

Idiot Box because you're describing an object. Saying `idiot's box' would suggest that it's a box belonging to an idiot rather than an idiotic object belonging to a person.

1. artblack01 profile image60
      artblack01posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I say both.

working