Anybody else think Inglourious Basterds is Tarantino's Best?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (59 posts)
  1. theageofcake profile image61
    theageofcakeposted 14 years ago

I know this might sound like blasphemy considering Pulp Fiction's major effect on stylish indie filmmaking, but let's be sensible here:

Basterds is undoubtedly his most ambitious undertaking as a director.  Its tense, funny, clever, and its cast, many of whom required at least a basic knowledge of 2-3 languages, was phenomenal.  Not to mention the effects, especially in the final Carrie-like theater sequence, were incredible. 

Any thoughts?  If not Basterds, what do you think is the director's best?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The movie from the commerical made the movie out to be one of those I consider stupid humor. It's so stupid you have to laugh.

However, as I had made the decision that I didn't want to see it. And, haven't. So, I wouldn't be voting positively in this forum or on the topic. And, with that. Have a great day.

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

<snipped - no personal attacks or attempts to hijack a thread>

2. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should know better than to trust a trailer!

Is Basterds, his best, no way! not even close, is it worth seeing for yourself?..absolutely

theageofcakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged, which do you think is his best, out of curiosity?

1. sunforged profile image70

cmon, no contest, Pulp Fiction

Haha... Alright, alright.  If you were a total Tarantino purist you might opt for Reservoir Dogs (which I think is admirably made but a bit over-hyped).  Just needed to be sure.

1. profile image0
                Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

no way. one of my most favourite movies ever. I  had teh soundtrack on a tape and listened to it so much, it borke.  sad I can wait for Inglorius Basterds to come out. But I am sure Ill still love Reservoir Dogs the best.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
                  Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same (although I don't think mine broke, just eventually got lost).

Amazing soundtrack.

1. profile image0

yup. mine actually got all wiggly and warped. Its hard to find around here. If I ever see it in a store Ill get it back!! BUT I have the movie.

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your input. If I get the interest, I'll download it. smile

..the dvdrip should be out now

3. theageofcake profile image61

Commercials are misleading.  In fact, they are designed to be misleading.  Unless who've had prior experience with Tarantino's films and disliked them, I highly recommend giving this one a chance.  Its occasionally silly, but far from stupid.

2. profile image52
      MattMintzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i'm not sure if i would insist that inglourious is better than pulp fiction but i think i might like it better.  i interned for a band apart productions while they were filming i.b. and got the pleasure of reading that script long before the movie was released.  great read.  great movie.  will always hold a special place in my heart

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I haven't seen this but I sure liked his other movies!

3. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

I can't stand Kill Bill I or II and they're the only other Tarantino films I've see...

I suppose I.B. was alright...nothing special though (in my opinion).

I won't be getting the DVD. Its historical inaccuracy irratated me a bit to be honest.

I respect that - his style might just not be your thing.  Kill Bill Vol II, in my book, actually ranks as one of his best, right behind I.B. and Pulp Fiction. 

Basterd's inaccuracies never really bothered me.  I try not to expect truth in movies.

4. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

Haven't seen it.

5. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

"Oh yes-yes-yes-yes!" lol

6. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Anybody else think Inglourious Basterds is Tarantino's Best?

Not even nearly.

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Dusk til Dawn...

IB had Tarantino's usual visual flair, but the story and acting (except the Nazi Jew hunter guy who was excellent) were fairly lacking.

Visually, I think IB far exceeds all of the movies you've listed.  Had you contested its superficial beauty using Kill Bill I or II as examples, I would certainly concede.  But if there's one thing even dissenters of this movie should admit, its that it looks amazing (it was, after all, a period piece, one whose events were inaccurate but whose aesthetic was pretty much on the nose).

Story lacking?  There was certainly more to it than Reservoir Dogs, which was entirely character driven.  I think IB was even a bit more involved than Pulp Fiction - which, while noteworthy for its narrative unconventionality, had a fairly simple progression of events (when you look at it linearly). 

Tarantino's ensembles are always great, so I won't argue that this one is anything special as a whole (comparatively speaking).  But as you've said, Christoph Waltz is amazing.  His character was easily one of the most fascinating and difficult to play in all of Quentin's movies.  Not to mention the female lead was highly sympathetic, and - I thought - effectively played.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  For me IB was like a jigsaw puzzle put together by an impatient kid, all the pieces were there, but they just didn't fit right.

7. heartattack4444 profile image59
    heartattack4444posted 14 years ago

Four Rooms = great.  I know technically Tarantino only did a quarter of it, but I just love it big_smile  Definitely check it out if you like his other movies--or Tim Roth!

Absolutely! ...I had forgotten about that segment, but Ive never seen Tim roth in a movie since w/o remembering him as the bellboy, snatching up his money and walking out of the room nonchalant.

And Hail Eris!

8. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I thought visually IB was good, but I didnt really like it at all. Perhaps that's because all of my family are Jewish. I was told it was really funny and had nothing to do with the war, but I failed to see the funny side of it, again perhaps because my family are Jewish.

Not seen a lot of tarantino films, but definitely prefer Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

I can't say with certainty, but I think if I were Jewish I might be even more enthralled by the alternate reality Tarantino creates with Inglourious Basterds.  It was the story of a Jew who, in one fair swoop, destroys the most powerful members of the Nazi Party - how satisfying is that?!  I would actually argue that the movie is made with great respect to the pain the Jewish community endured during WWII. 

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here:

Other than influence, what about Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs is technically superior to Inglourious Basterds?  I feel like if someone makes the claim that Inglourious Basterds is his best, they need to justify it.  But what about Pulp Fiction is so infinitely better?  Come on people, frame your arguments!  I'd like it if we could get a real conversation going about this.

Some things come from more than words, but from the heart.

Bah, humbug.  I guess there's no refuting this (though I would love to). 

Let me just say though, that many people don't give the movie the credit it deserves.  If we're going for the whole sentimental heart over mind thing, I think Tarantino himself will attest that he was more invested in this project than any other (it took 10 years to complete the script), so clearly it was a labor of love.  Pulp Fiction is one of the coolest movies I've ever seen, but not a single character has the emotional depth of Shosanna (the french Jew whose family was murdered and eventually enacts her revenge with the theater incident).  Why more people aren't completely amazed with IB is really mysterious to me - I'm legitimately just trying to understand the opposing viewpoints.

9. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing it.  I hope it's better than Death Proof though.

1. profile image0

that movie was awesome. c'mon..You didnt like it? I laughed my ASS off!!

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was good, but it was soo slow moving though.  It would've been a great movie if it were 45 minutes!  But who needs all of the hanging around at the bar and listening to those dish rag whores go on about nothing?

1. profile image0

yeah, it was long there, but I thought it worked out.
          my hubby enjoyed the dish rag whores quite a bit...I am guessing there were some other guys out there felt the same.

1. profile image0

Don't get me wrong, I was digging on the whores too, but after a little bit either get them stripping during their lapdancing scenes, or just go on with it.  After a few minutes, I tend to get bored with just watching hot chics do the same dance over and over without doing something different.

Not me, couple of beers, decent tunes and I could watch that shit all day. lol

1. profile image0

lol
                stuck in the middle with you...

1. profile image0

Now I pay for that!

1. profile image0

how much?
                    lol

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57

I can picture it now. big_smile

2. profile image0

lol
              I was going to say something about ..sorry to dissapoint you....but then I rememberd my pic is my cat couch...

10. 1974 profile image67
    1974posted 14 years ago

Wow, a whole three pages of Tarantino movies and nobody has mentioned "True Romance"?  Granted his was just the writer and not writer/director, but that movie is awesome!  Brad Pitt and his honey bear bong, Gary Oldman as Drexl, early glimpses of Gandolfini and Samuel Jackson, and who can forget the infamous scene with Walken and Hopper? 

If you have not seen this movie yet, you need to!

1. profile image0

Good Call.  That is a great flick.  Eric Stoltz in Killing Zoe is another classic example.

2. profile image0

omg.....i didnt know that was terantino......awesome movie!!!!

1. profile image0

That's why it was soo cool!

1. profile image52
          MattMintzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

neither true romance nore killing zoe were directed by qt but true romance was written by him and is great.  not sure about zoe.  i think it was written by his writing partner at the time, roger avary.  directed by avary too.  avary also helped qt write pulp fiction so i wouldn't be surprised if q.t. had some input on zoe.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)