jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Bradley Cooper, Jenifer Lawrence and Mental Illness in Silver Linings Playbook -

1. DSmizzle profile image88
    DSmizzleposted 3 years ago

Bradley Cooper, Jenifer Lawrence and Mental Illness in Silver Linings Playbook - Believable?

Did Bradley Cooper and Jenifer Lawrence do a good job in playing people suffering from mental illness in Silver Linings Playbook?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9006287_f260.jpg

2. cfin profile image80
    cfinposted 3 years ago

I believe so. Mental illness shouldn't even be called an illness in some instances. I feel that if anything they succeeded in relaxing a stigma on people who are "tagged" as mentally ill, when really they are just unusual characters who don't fit in. It happens in real life and it seems to be the case in this film.

1. DSmizzle profile image88
      DSmizzleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi cfin:

Good point re: diagnosing "eccentric" as mentally ill.  But in re: Cooper's character, I respectfully direct your attention to the therapy session with his doctor when he admitted to having bizarre delusions about his wife and conspiracies.

2. cfin profile image80
      cfinposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Indeed and good point. His illness seemed to be brought on by his experiences. Did you find their roles to be appropriately played? I know people who are just as "strange" in real life and still operate in the world just fine. His character though...

3. DSmizzle profile image88
      DSmizzleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think J-Law's issues were more the result of experiences, whereas a few times in the movie Cooper's behavior all his life was mentioned. Also, the doctor said re: suffering without a diagnosis or treatment "that must have been very hard for you."

4. cfin profile image80
      cfinposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It's been awhile, so my memories of it are a little scatty, but I even wrote a hub on it. Interesting movie and I really didn't expect it to be. I thought I was walking into a Chick flick.

5. Ericdierker profile image57
      Ericdierkerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Remove all the defects in my character and I would have no character. Any movement in awareness helps the understanding so they did great!

working