jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Facing the World without Facebook?

1. wordswithlove profile image80
    wordswithloveposted 3 years ago

Facing the World without Facebook?

I often wonder how many of us today do not have a Facebook account. If we don't, are we among the "faceless" minority of a world saturated with "faces" that everyone and anyone can see? Are we handicapped by our lack of presence on the book that describes, defines, elucidates, elaborates us to the world at large? Yes, I wonder. I wonder because I do not have an account there and do not feel tempted to have one either. Frankly, it mortifies me to think I could be an "open" book! But that is just me. Maybe, I am just happy to be faceless.

2. Penny G profile image70
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

I do not have one nor does my husband. He had one for a brief period because his children would't tell him important things. They said if you want to know then get a face book account. With seeing things he wanted to know came crazy unwanted stuff in both our families we were better off not knowing. Fighting, gossip complaints and just too much information. DELETE!!!! Maybe we do live in the dark but for us the stress was too much in our already too busy life. Hasn't killed us yet. We are surviving with out it just fine.

wordswithloveposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I hear you, Penny. I have heard that from a lot of people and the world is harsh enough as it is, without worrying about bringing more of that into your home.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

In my opinion you're not missing much. I have a FB page and got the account with the idea of keeping connected with my family and friends spread all over the US. There are times I don't even know why I have it because, even when I leave a comment or post something in my "status" I feel totally ignored when no one (even family) ever responds to what I say.

Thank you, Sheila! No, I am not missing much at all. smile

4. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 3 years ago

Here, here.....I am another Face-less being....and have no intention of joining FB.  Have never even been tempted.  I did have a dumb experience a few years back.  Wanting to SIMPLY contact a friend whose phone # & address I no longer had....I remembered her saying she was on FB....SO, I thought I could hop on....leave her a message and hop off...and cancel and erase my existence.  Was I in for a big surprise.  I was dormant of course and never ever used it...but my FB  ID and that damned shadow person was on there forever.   It's like the Twilight Zone..only spookier!
    Once you enter...you're DOOMED for all eternity.
    In any event.....I share your opinion.....especially your last 3 sentences. 
    I am way too much of a private, solitude-loving woman.
    BTW.....I couldn't help but notice that you joined HP 11 months ago and have not written a hub.  Is there anything I can do or say to help give you a gentle push?
    I have a feeling you have a lot to offer!  Just let me know.

I am so glad to meet you, fpherj! I totally get that spookiness of the shadowed person in the Twilight Zone that haunted you. Once etched into the waves of the cyber world, it stays surprisingly and obstinately unerasable.

working