jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

I'm going out on a limb, but here goes. Could Lazarus have been a Zombie? Maybe

1. ttagpine profile image79
    ttagpineposted 3 years ago

I'm going out on a limb, but here goes. Could Lazarus have been a Zombie? Maybe the first zombie?

Many of us believe that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. Then, Lazarus did as Jesus bid him to. Doesn't that fit (at least) some of the requirements of being a zombie?

2. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

That - or it is a symbolic story as is much of the Bible.  There is no such thing as zombies.  However, a person can walk through life being "zombie like" - never really living, or seeking a higher purpose or whatever.  Being "raised from the dead" - would actually mean, discovering greater meaning to one's life. 

There are many tough pills to swallow when it comes to biblical literalism, but when you look at them symbolically, they can carry greater meaning.

1. Snøwman profile image61
      Snøwmanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Lazarus was literally raised from the dead. This was the reason that they crucified Jesus. They couldn't come up with any explanation of how he did it other than because he was the son of God. Crucifixion was the only way to stop him.

2. ChristinS profile image94
      ChristinSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe anything in the Bible is literal.  A coma perhaps - from death - no. I was raised in the church etc. I know the stories.

3. profile image0
      Daveadamposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Aren't zombies just ego's, because in my opinion ego's are the walking dead..People who are heavily identified as their ego mind, aren't really real people..Their not building anything real, apart from another ego to add to the collective ego's. :-(

4. ttagpine profile image79
      ttagpineposted 3 years agoin reply to this

To Snowman. Jesus was crucified for many reasons, Lazarus was just one. Jesus was a Jew that was teaching a non-Jewish based religion that allowed man to forgive the sins of man. That was Blaspheme.

3. Snøwman profile image61
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

A zombie is a mindless flesh eating monster. When Lazarus rose from the dead he was a normal human so no, he was not a zombie.

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You stole my answer! But that's ok. Now I don't have to type it out.

4. Robert the Bruce profile image61
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

This question is speculative, obviously, and unless there's any historical evidence to prove that these events actually happened, no one could say for sure.

(The Bible is not sufficient historical evidence seeing that it contains many contradictions and was written by the followers of Jesus who were naturally biased and had something to gain from writing about the supposed events.)

If you could provide any historically verifiable sources I would gladly check them out.

1. ttagpine profile image79
      ttagpineposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, my question was painted with a very broad brush. I do believe in both the Bibles, old and new testaments, but I see them as unfinished, and over-edited.

working