What is your favorite story from the Bible and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Mr Archer profile image82
    Mr Archerposted 10 years ago

What is your favorite story from the Bible and why?

My personal favorite is that of Lazarus. Whenever I read or hear it, it literally sends shivers up and down my spine at the power and the faith in the message. And when I hear Carmen sing his song Lazarus, and the thought of Lazarus speaking with those who had gone before and describing his walking and talking with Jesus, it continually amazes me.

2. JMcFarland profile image69
    JMcFarlandposted 10 years ago

I'm a huge fan of 1 Samuel 15 or 2 Kings 2:24 myself.  Oh, and Ezekiel 23:20

3. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 10 years ago

I have so many I cant begin to decide. However one of my many favorites, is when Jesus walked on water. The other is when he calmed the sea. I actually thought that part was funny.

Here he is sleeping away, while the others are full of fear trying to wake him up. He knows of course this is not going to bother him. Then he tells them all they needed was faith.

Then of course is the Sodom and Gomorrah city. Why you ask, because it shows Gods wrath and that we have to admit to the fact that God gets angry everyday.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image78
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think God went too easy on Sodom and Gomorrah.  A place so evil, it gang rapes strangers who visit?  I would have wiped them out a long time ago!

2. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I so so agree with you `Life
      I say the same thing

3. Healthyannie profile image87
      Healthyannieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Was it really God who was angry? Arabic story tells of a massive volcanic eruption around this time, and Sodom and Gomorrah could possible have been destroyed during this eruption.

4. profile image0
      ViolinByCourtneyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The massive volcanic eruption in that time period, likely the eruption of Thera (now the island/caldera of Santorini), occurred in the Mediterranean. Sodom and Gomorrah are believed to have been on a plain now located at the bottom of the Dead Sea.

4. Marie Flint profile image74
    Marie Flintposted 10 years ago

My favorite story is not in the King James Version Bible, but in the Catholic Bible. It has to do with the story of young Tobias, who is accompanied by Archangel Raphael on a journey to pay a debt. Tobias' father is blind and owes some money to a man in a nearby town.  Tobias successfully completes his task, and on the return trip, Raphael captures a fish from a stream where they had stopped to rest. He removes the gall. When they meet Tobias' father, Raphael takes the gall and anoints the old man's eyes with it. Immediately, the man is able to see.

I like the story because it expresses youthful venture and the miracle of healing. While not as dramatic or popular as the story of Lazarus, perhaps I like it for that very reason.

5. profile image51
    Ms-littleposted 10 years ago

i like alot of them but the book of Ruth is a great story.

6. jenchristopherson profile image61
    jenchristophersonposted 10 years ago

My favorite book in the Bible is the book Song of Solomon. The reason why it is my favorite book is because i truly believe it was written like a prophesey of the story of my life and my marriage. Everything in the book describes my life and what I have been through with my husband word for word is intimatly describing my life and my husband and our marriage. I believe that I am the Bride of Christ and that my Husband here on earth now is the true Jesus Christ here secretly for me his Bride and to set up his kingdom here on earth now too. I know that the book the Song of Solomon is about us and it is so intimate that it was disturbingly unbelievable to me the first time that I read it and i then fell in Love with it and my Husband even more.

The Song of Solomon proves there is nothing sinful about sex itself - it's how it's used that can make it sinful.  Interesting how so many Westerners nowadays are prudish about such things, as opposed to Middle Easterners back in Bible times.

2. jenchristopherson profile image61
      jenchristophersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you totally. God actually loves the act of making love or having sex. If he were on this earth with us I bet he would have sex himself and alot of it too.

7. BobMonger profile image60
    BobMongerposted 10 years ago

There are several, but I keep coming back to is in Mark 8:1-21 where Jesus feeds the 4,000 etc., they cross the lake, and then warns His disciples about the "yeast of the Pharasis.  I can see Him shaking His head when those with Him wonder if He's saying this because they brought no bread with them. Being an Orthodox Jew He must have thought "Oye Vay, Meshugana disciples!"  I'm amazed no one got a slap upside the head for being dense. Being a Messiah couldn't have been easy.

8. Lor's Stories profile image59
    Lor's Storiesposted 10 years ago

My favorite is he nativity. It reveals that Our God was humble enough to come into this world as a child.
    I also like the fact he was born in humility and not in a palace.
    It helps children understand how Jesus was born. Children relate to children.
    I love the entire scene of the Angels announcing the birth to the shepherds.

9. Little Grandmommy profile image59
    Little Grandmommyposted 10 years ago

I have many favorites.  I really like the story of Balaam's donkey.  Balaam misunderstood the donkey's behavior and didn't realize the donkey was trying to save his life.

10. Healthyannie profile image87
    Healthyannieposted 10 years ago

My favorite story from the Bible is the story of the Exodus. Moses was an amazing person and the story of the Exodus is very relevant today. We are still seeing people living in their own separate communities in countries which may be foreign to them or their ancestors. Moses as a historic character gets the credit for the Exodus but he also did many other incredible things through his life time.
    He was a respected priest and general of the Pharaoh's army, and his life is a testimony to human achievement.

Moses certainly lived an amazing life, didn't he?

11. Faith A Mullen profile image79
    Faith A Mullenposted 10 years ago

I don't know if I could really pick a favorite, but I love when Jesus told the disciples to let the little children come to him. Such a perfect example of His sweet love.

12. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 10 years ago

Job

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought? Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

Satan walking about the earth? Answers many of the questions asked about whats happening today i believe.

13. Healthy Mike profile image60
    Healthy Mikeposted 10 years ago

My favourite story in the bible is that of rich man who only thought about expanding his barns to accommodate his produce. He had this earthly desire of eating, drinking and merrymaking,forgetting the Giver of all the things. The Giver told him that  that very night, He would come for what belongs to Him ie the soul. what is the use of all the earthly things, if you had everything and lost your soul?

14. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 10 years ago

My favorite is the Miracle of Multiplying the fish, and bread.  Too bad we don't see that in today's world  The other Miracles - where Jesus threw an apple seed and a tree sprouted or when he pulled his heart out of his chest and let it beat all bloody in his hands.  Or even when Jesus sat on the ground with all the people around him and told Parable Stories teaching  but many didn't understand yet they loved Him and followed Him.  Happy Easter.

1. profile image0

The last two miracles you list are not in the Bible. They were made up for the movie The Last Temptation of Christ. Perhaps you should read the Bible before sharing your favorite Bible story. Just a thought.

2. Healthyannie profile image87

No they are not in the Bible bit check out other scriptures. Do you read Arabic? Jesus is a prophet in Islam as well, and different stories about Jesus exist in other forms of Christianity such as the Coptic Christianity.
      Amen Amon.

15. Acbethea profile image60
    Acbetheaposted 10 years ago

Mr. Archer, I have to agree that the story of Lazarus is uplifting. The fact that there was no book of 'Lazarus" lets us know that he wasn't special, he wasn't wealthy or well known. He was someone, just like us, the Jesus loved and we sometimes focus on what happened and not why it happened. Jesus message was he would take care of all of us, regarless of where we come from, how we look or our title in this life. Lazarus being raised lets us know that we all can have a second chance if we allow Jesus to impact our lives. Thank you for the question and may God continue to bless you.

1. Mr Archer profile image82
      Mr Archerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I really like the way you worded this. We al lhave a second chance if we but believe in him. Very well put.

2. profile image0

I think he was wealthy and well-known. Local leaders ate in his home. His sister could afford perfume worth a year's wages to the average laborer in an equally expensive alabaster jar, which she broke to anoint Jesus. They were not exactly destitute.

3. Acbethea profile image60
      Acbetheaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ViolinByCourtney - not suggesting that he was poor. my point was that Lazarus was not a king or someone that would have received special treatment from Jesus because of his title which is a reason everyone can believe He will do the same for us

16. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

My favorite story is the Sermon on the Mount.  The Beatitudes seem to me to be the most powerful message of Jesus and express the essence of Christianity. It is a clear call to activism for social justice and righteousness.  Its lyrical cadence seems similar to St. Francis' Prayer which extends the message in specific and profound ways. It's beautiful, simply beautiful. No matter what faith a person may be or whether or not a person is "a believer,"  the message is stunning.

17. profile image52
    youngnrestlessposted 10 years ago

My favorite story would be that of Elisha.There was an impressive example of angelic support in the days of Elisha the prophet. Elisha was staying in Dothan, a city in Israel. One day when Elisha’s servant got up early in the morning and looked outside, he saw that the city was surrounded by horses and war chariots. The king of Syria had sent a powerful military force to capture Elisha. How did Elisha’s attendant react? Fearful, perhaps panic-stricken, he cried out: “Alas, my master! What shall we do?” To him, all seemed lost. But Elisha answered: “Do not be afraid, for there are more who are with us than those who are with them.” What did he mean?—2 Kings 6:11-16.

Elisha was aware that angelic hosts were present to support him. However, his servant saw nothing. So “Elisha began to pray and say: ‘O Jehovah, open his eyes, please, that he may see.’ Immediately Jehovah opened the attendant’s eyes, so that he saw; and, look! the mountainous region was full of horses and war chariots of fire all around Elisha.” (2 Kings 6:17) The attendant could then see the angelic hosts. With spiritual insight, we too can perceive that angels, all under the direction of Jehovah and Christ, lend support and protection to Jehovah’s people.

18. Krobles1127 profile image57
    Krobles1127posted 10 years ago

My favorite story in the account about Job. Job's faith was tested countless times by Satan the Devil, yet Job was firm and kept his integrity to Jehovah God. This is a great lesson for us today, especially because while Satan was testing Job, he told God that every man would disobey him. At Job 2:4,5 Satan tells Jehovah "Skin in behalf of skin, and everything that a man has he will give in behalf of his soul. For a change, thrust out your hand, please, and touch as far as his bone and his flesh and see whether he will not curse you to your very face."

This is a precedent for us today. We have to make sure that no matter what temptation or trials Satan throws at us, we need to be faithful and keep our integrity to Jehovah.

1. Acbethea profile image60
      Acbetheaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like so many stories in the Bible and i'm trying not to comment and agree with everyone but Job was a story that made you rethink your situation. It made you think that maybe you aren't having such a bad day after all

19. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years ago

My favorite story is the one about the prophet Elijah.  A hard-living man comes out of the desert to tell evil King Ahab, who lives in splendor and debauchery, that there will be a great drought.  King Ahab laughes him out of the palace.  Then, when the drought strikes, he looks all over for this wilderness man, who is actually not far away, living quite well by a brook and is being fed by birds.  When the brook dries up, Elijah goes to a widow, improving lives of her and her son, and even brings her son back from the dead. 

When King Ahab is ready to listen to God, Elijah is told to return to him.  He does, and there's a melodramatic showdown as to who is the true God, Jehovah or Baal.

Queen Jezebel, who is even more evil than Ahab (no, not because she wore lipstick and seduced a visiting king!  It's because she plotted the death of an innocent man - but that's another story) threatens to kill Elijah.  Worn out over the events of the past several days, he freaks out and runs off into the desert with no supplies.  He asks God to take his life, but an angel brings him food and water and tells him to rest.  When he is rested, God informs him his time on Earth is not much longer, but he will not die.  He is sent to annoint Elisha to take his place, then he is carried off into the clouds in a glorious golden chariot.

1. profile image0

Thank you for telling the story of Elijah as it is in the Bible instead of claiming he died and was reincarnated as John the Baptist. http://carm.org/bible-difficulties/matt … lly-elijah

20. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

It's difficult to chose one "favorite." It depends on my needs for the moment.

I love how Peter steps out of his storm-tossed boat onto the unsettled sea of Galilee to stand for a moment. In that moment, he had perfect faith. He left reasonableness behind. I've known that state of faith, before.

Nearly every story of Yehoshua is a favorite. I love his miracles, his kindness and love, his generosity, his stern wisdom to his enemies and the glimpses he gives us of a much larger wisdom -- like when he revealed to us that John the Baptist was Elijah reincarnated. Suddenly, Numbers 14:18 makes sense. The guilty are punished; not the innocent children. And where do the guilty go when they die? They become the children of the 3rd or 4th generation.

I also love the story of Noah's Flood. I now realize how the Flood was, in every way, an act of love. There was no anger or retribution. It was only an act of love.

I'm writing a book, "The Bible's Hidden Wisdom," that captures some of my favorite stories and ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Nv8Mgh0z8

I've experienced many miracles, myself. One of them was very much like that of Moses parting the sea. Shakespeare was wrong. The Age of Miracles never ended. People merely stopped having the necessary faith. In fact, only one Pope ever walked on water, and I doubt if Peter ever wanted that dubious title.

1. Healthyannie profile image87

The flood was an excellent event which probably took place about 10,000 years ago. Many cultures in the Middle East tell stories about the great flood.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image78

The Great Flood explains why there are seashells in the mountains.
      Someone once told me long ago that reincarnation is in the Bible.  You have pointed out where - thanks!

3. profile image0

John had in him the spirit and power of Elijah, but he was not Elijah because Elijah did not die. He rode to heaven in a chariot of fire and has since made at appearances on Earth such as the Transfiguration. He is likely one of the Two Witnesses.

4. Healthyannie profile image87

Hi everyone. I love researching the Bible, and I think it is fantastic that we can now through research find evidence of the actual events. Without the great flood the Nile valley would not have been created according to Egyptian beliefs.

5. lone77star profile image74
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

By a new interpretation of Genesis, the Flood occurred 27,970 BC, right at the disappearance of the "daughters" species.

ViolinByCourtney, Jesus said that Elijah himself had come but no one recognized him, even John the Baptist (the stumbling block)

21. Cyjh profile image60
    Cyjhposted 10 years ago

I really like all stories from the Bible... They teach me different lessons...
    But anyway, I guess, I love Paul's life story the most... ^^

1. Krobles1127 profile image57
      Krobles1127posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's so encouraging to know that no matter what our course of life is, if we change it and choose to worship God he will forgive us. Paul himself used to persecute Christians and then became one. We can learn from this today. smile

2. Cyjh profile image60
      Cyjhposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and his life was really a great inspiration to serve God with perseverance and faithfulness. He was persecuted and beaten so many times but he remained faithful to his calling... ^^

22. moronkee profile image71
    moronkeeposted 10 years ago

The book of Genesis- the garden of Eden. How satan used his subtility to deceive Eve and disobeyed GOD. If she had not eaten that fruit,the world would have been a better place. The story also teaches me not to be ignorant of satans wiles.

1. profile image0

It was not just Eve who ate the fruit. Adam was with her, and she handed it to him so he could eat it too. The story is often told as if Eve was alone or coerced Adam to sin. This is simply not true.

23. apicodesigns profile image59
    apicodesignsposted 10 years ago

My favorite bible story is Adam and eve because i am very loving person and i can feel true love on this story. I always plays drama's on this story.

1. jenchristopherson profile image61
      jenchristophersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You mean the book of Genesis don't you. Well you should try and read the Song of Soloman if you really want to read a book that is romantic and a Love story. That is my favorite book.

24. master-space profile image66
    master-spaceposted 10 years ago

I have many favorite stories in the bible, but my most favorite is the story of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ because he was wounded and crucified for our sins and the third day he arose. He sacrificed his blood on the cross of cavalry so that we can be saved from sin.

25. johnceccon profile image59
    johncecconposted 8 years ago

My favorite story is actually a single verse. Acts 1:8 "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” In one verse, Jesus gives us his last words, before he ascended into heaven, as an  instruction, that we were to witness for him to the ends of the Earth. This means that we are to never stop witnessing for him.  The question is how do we witness for Christ?

26. marcelocarcach profile image88
    marcelocarcachposted 8 years ago

One of my favorite narratives in the Bible is when Jesus multiplies the fish and loaves to feed the multitudes. His disciples don't know what He will do, but He does. All he asks them to do is to surrender the little that they have so He can show them how He is sufficient and more than resourceful. That's what we need to do in life: surrender the little that we have so He would show us how much He can do for us and for others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)