This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

What three movies have had the most impact on you?

1. Availiasvision profile image86
    Availiasvisionposted 3 years ago

What three movies have had the most impact on you?

Why?

2. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 3 years ago

Some of the scenes in Gladiator with Russell Crowe are exquisite and touching; they reach out to the human Spirit. One example is seeing his wife coming from Heaven to meet him while he is dying at the end. (Oops! spoilt it.)The interactions between him and the Kings sister; the King and his sister himself ... and I have not even started on the heart-rendering scenes of drama and human emotions.

Lord of The Rings have some similarities, like between the main actor and the goddess girl, or the death of a particular hero. Speaking of heroes, this movie is full of heroes and they remind us of the virtues which take us to the pinnacle of the human spirit: courage; tenacity, Love; Friendship and camaraderie, without which, like us, they could not have survived.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Forgive me if I got the name wrong. Funny, same kind of scenes: Drama, love, a beautiful plot and much sadness, particularly at the end. The first time I saw this movie, everyone walked out silent at the end. No one spoke. It was the first time that I saw this.

3. profile image58
    DannoManposted 3 years ago

This is a great and terrible question. I say that with all due respect.

It is great because it elicits personal reactions--that is, reactions of particular importance on a personal level. But it is terrible in that movies can have great personal impact in so many different ways.

Films can impact us because they speak to us in some special way, by virtue of being about or addressing come component that is playing out in our own personal lives, or has done so in the past.

They can impact us (favorably) by simply being great films, in any of the ways a film can be deemed to be good. Great cinematography, or acting, or direction can each make for a "great movie" of high impact. The best of them have combinations of great components.

Or a film can have tremendous impact because it simply has a star actor or director that is a favorite of ours, or perhaps is an installment that completes a series, even if that particular film isn't among their best work. The final film in the Star Wars series had impact on me and it wasn't the best of the series, to my mind.

So, even though I think this is not the best way to evaluate movies, I will answer as if you intended option number one: eliciting reactions of a particular personal importance.

The Graduate:  Because it related so effectively to my particular stage of life at the time.

Old Yeller:  Because it was the first movie to make me cry. I saw it when it first came out. It introduced my sheltered mind to unexpected new adult ways to view the world.

Enemy of the State:  Because it was the action film that helped take our minds off of troubles the day I took my two kids to the movies to temporarily escape the fact of their mother's death.

1. Availiasvision profile image86
      Availiasvisionposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Dannoman, you are a beautiful writer.  You should turn that response into a Hub.  A very well thought out and personal response.

2. profile image58
      DannoManposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Availiasvision, you have definitely made my day. Thank you.

4. Rod Marsden profile image74
    Rod Marsdenposted 3 years ago

The movie Gallipoli (1981) had a great impact on many Australian young and old. Some of the men who had been there during the First World War as soldiers could at last talk about their experiences to their children and grandchildren. Stuff that had been bottled up for decades. Peter Weir's direction was superb and so was the script and the acting. The insanity of war in general but also the craziness of what was being asked of the diggers, all young fit, men, comes out starkly in this film. The fact that many of them pushed on in support of their mates and got killed says something. Lest we forget. After growing up with so many movies about how the British and the Americans had won both the First and Second World War it was really something to have a film about Aussies in action.

The Battle of Britain was also a film that impacted upon me and still does. It has a dopey love story but the real stars of the film are the hurricanes and the spitfires. I love the role of honor at the end of this film. It wasn't just the British fighter pilots defending Britain from German invasion. You had the Poles, the Free French, The Czechs, the Poles and some Australian pilots as well. Oh, and you also had your New Zealanders and your Canadians. Even so, the fighter pilots defending Britain were outnumbered 4 to one but they still managed to win through. Maybe I just love the action.

Another movie that gets to me every time is The Dam Busters. The very idea of designing a bomb that bounces on water. Australian and New Zealanders were involved in that show and I have since read up on those involved. There were also excellent Canadian pilots.

Of the science fiction films I've seen I love Fahrenheit 451. I know the book people are not a practical idea but the notion that anyone would go to such lengths to save a book touches me deeply as a writer.

Then there is Soylent Green - a warning for the future only a third of the world has taken to heart  or most probably ever will. I dread an overpopulated earth where we are forced to eat the dead in order to live.

I would like to include 1984 but the truth is I read the book decades before seeing the latest film version which I found somewhat lackluster. The book, however, needs to be read especially by those who believe in politically correct notions. Young people nowadays don't seem to understand how propaganda works or how sophisticated it has become.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

Star Wars - It kicked off a love of science fiction and fantasy that has persisted into my adult life.

Forks over Knives - I became a vegetarian after watching this film.

The Fellowship of the Ring - While this movie wasn't the source for my love of fantasy, it showed that it could be epic, emotional and mainstream. Another milestone on my road to becoming a fantasy author.

6. kevin murphy-87 profile image80
    kevin murphy-87posted 3 years ago

Braveheart.
    This is, in my opinion, the greatest movie ever. It is based on true events but done very well and just ignites a spark in me that screams FREEDOM!!!!!

Armageddon.
    Who doesn't like this movie?  I'll admit it, i cried. It could potentially happen to the world one day and will there be a Harry Stamper to save us? I hope so. I could just watch this movie over and over again.

In the name of the father.
    This is a movie about the troubles in Northern Ireland and is based on the real events that happened when a man was wrongfully imprisoned. It is very touching and stars Daniel Day-Lewis. I strongly recommend this movie if you have never seen it.

7. aesta1 profile image92
    aesta1posted 3 years ago

I love watching Goodbye Mr. Chips. It made me admire retiring but stolid personalities as well as those who have dedicated themselves to teaching young kids. Somehow, this movie exemplify values I want to have.

Dr. Zhivago left a haunting memory in me. Each time, there's a drizzle somehow my mind wonders to that time and place vividly pictured in the movie. At that time, it was also a glimpse at a country and culture I have no real experience of but heard a lot about.

The Hornblower series is a yearly event in our cottage. We watch the whole thing every summer. the lessons on leadership in these are priceless. Every family member has a favourite line and just at the perfect moment when the particular scene appears, we holler it out.

8. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

jaws, the big mouth of those fishes gave me nightmares
    Jurassic ark, the t rex tummy had the cellphone ringing gave me another nightmare

working