What is the saddest movie that you have seen and Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (53 posts)
  1. rivet3000 profile image58
    rivet3000posted 14 years ago

The saddest movie that I have ever seen was Terms of Endearment (1983) with Debra Winger and Shirley Maclaine.

The saddest part of the movie is when Emma (Debra Winger) is diagnosed with a malignant tumor in her breast and she fights to the bitter end.

A poignant part in the film is when Emma goes grocery shopping with her kids in Des Moines, Iowa and after ringing up the groceries, the checkout lady, A.K.A. mean and nasty ogre, gets upset when Emma says that she does not have any money and in a sarcastic and loud voice, the ogre yells over the loudspeaker, SHE DOES NOT HAVE ANY MONEY!!.

Emma's younger son, Teddy wanted a Clark's bar and sacrified his candy bar so that her mother could pay for the groceries but Emma gave him back the candy bar with a smile; That was very moving to see.

Lithgow (My hero) came to the rescue by paying for Emma's groceries and telling the ogre that she was rude.  The checkout lady said that she wasnt rude and he said, Then you must be from New York! LOL.  Classic.

Emma stuggled with the constant fights with her mother, the infidelity of her husband and the mistreatment from her older son, Tommy, a real rebel and spoiled brat in the film.

I felt it was unfair that Emma was diagnosed with a malignant cancer; everything was toppling down around her and the diagnosis made things more difficut to deal with.

Emma did manage to go to New York with her friend, Patsy, to get away from the morbid hospital setting in Lincoln, Nebraska.  That was therapeutic for her.

The most poignant parts in the film were when Aurora(Shirley Mclaine and Emma's mother) asked the nurse for her daughter's medicine, but the nurse said that she was able to give it, but in a little while.  Mcclaine rushes around the nursing station and another nurse said it was not her patient.

Mcclaine cries out, It's midnight and she's gotta have her shot, if she could just hold out for a minute longer, but it's midnight, do something, get her the shot, dangit.  GIVE MY DAUGHTER THE SHOT!!!!!  WOW, explosive!  Nice acting if I do say so myself.

Geez, I tell ya, those nurses are so nonchalant and uncaring, it's pretty sad.  But Aurora whipped them all back to reality. smile

Another sad moment was when Emma tearfully said goodbye to her children and she looked at Tommy in the eyes.  She said that he loved her and that later down the road he would look back and be grateful for the way she let him goof off instead of doing his chores, or the time when she bought him that baseball glove when they did not have any money.

The final scene was very poignant.  Emma looked exhausted and managed to stare at her mother in a peaceful look.  Aurora smiled back.  That was hard. 

Finally a nurse comes into the room, checks Emma's pulse(Actually 2 Nurses need to verify a patient's death, but this is just a movie ), and whispers into Aurora's ear that her daughter had passed away.

Aurora sobs uncontrollably as she kisses her dear daughter and hugs Emma's husband, saying, "There isn't anything harder!"

Danny DeVito and Jack Nicholson both played excellent roles in the film.  The whole movie portrayed a lot of emotions: Jealously, love, lonliness, anger, hope and others.

Emma had made peace with everyone with was nice to see.  Such an excellent film!  Thanks for letting me share this with everyone today.  Have a great day!

1. CarpetDiem profile image73
      CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

I don't like sad movies and try to avoid them, but I thought the end of Gran Torino was a bit of a wet-eye event... There are sadder movies I've seen, but I'd rather think "happy thoughts"! smile

rivet3000posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never seen Gran Torino.  What's it about?  I like to think happy thought as well but once in awhile I am affected by sad movies.

1. Wonder_Woman profile image59
          Wonder_Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

GREAT MOVie, just watch it

1. TamCor profile image80
            TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of the best movies we've seen in ages...definitely watch it!

2. CarpetDiem profile image73
          CarpetDiemposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gran Torino is Clint Eastwood's latest movie... It is great.

Whoever mentioned Titanic... yes, that had a tear-jerker ending... and was a very sad movie that I liked. Good choice.

2. aware profile image66
      awareposted 14 years ago

old yellow sad movie

Yes, that was a sad film.  Hated the part where he shot the dog but he had no choice.  Very tragic indeed.  Thanks for the comment.

2. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure it was Old Yeller.

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
          manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah...Ol' Yeller...has to be the saddest sad
          Oh...and "Brian's Song"...!

3. retellect profile image71
      retellectposted 14 years ago

Titanic sad Made me cry :'( The part when Jack died just cut me up.

4. lrohner profile image70
      lrohnerposted 14 years ago

'Message in a Bottle' with Kevin Costner, Paul Newman and Robin Wright Penn had me emotional through most of it, and totally broke me up at the end.

5. profile image48
      gallileanposted 14 years ago

I watch tiny snippets of sad movies every night - on the TV news. They say that life is stranger than fiction and these daily tragic stories move me to tears

6. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We were supose to see 'The Exorcist' and we got to the front of the line and they sold out! So my future wife, we were in high school picked 'The Way We Were'. Holy crap she did more balling than I'd ever seen before. I was so disapointed and bummed about The Exorcist and this movie was killing me so it was the saddest movie I ever saw.

7. pioneer_writer5 profile image58
      pioneer_writer5posted 14 years ago

Terms of Endearment was a very sad movie, but I think the movie with Susan Surrendan (I do not know how to spell her name) and Julia Roberts (I forget the name of the movie). I felt that first she looses her husband to another woman. Then she finds out that she is dying and surrenders her children to her replacement. She has to relinquish everything she holds dear including her life.

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stepmom smile

8. R P Chapman profile image61
      R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

If it’s got Sean Penn in it, or it’s been nominated for an Oscar I tend to run a mile. It might have been the trauma of Bambi when I was a kid, but now I don’t want to watch harrowing films.

9. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

'Aladdin' by Disney

Hell yeah big_smile

Actually, on a serious note it's probably 'The Notebook'

My grandparents are in the same situation as the people in the film. It breaks my heart.

10. profile image51
      Hisham1posted 14 years ago

Also felt bad while seeing titanic but didnt cry

11. deartfuldodger profile image60
      deartfuldodgerposted 14 years ago

just because its fresh in memory

"marley and me"

when i was younger "my girl"

Weeping willow,

With your tears running down.

Why do you always weep and frown?

Is it because he left you one day?

Is it because he could not stay?

On your branches he would swing,

Do you long for the happiness,

That day would bring?

He found shelter in your shade,

You thought his laughter would never fade.

Weeping willow stop your tears,

For there is something to calm your fears.

You think death has ripped you forever apart,

But I know he’ll always be in your heart.

12. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years ago

Sophie's Choice, hands down. In the scene where she had to choose between her son and daughter - OMG! That still haunts me. The nazi guard allowed her to keep one child and send the other one to the gas chamber, and if she didn't choose, both would be killed.

I also cry at almost ALL animal movies: Marley and Me, Homeward Bound, Where the Red Fern Grows, and of course, Old Yeller!

13. Colebabie profile image60
      Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I've read all the Nicholas Sparks books, so the endings of his movies don't get me smile

But Alpha Dog, Philadelphia, Life is Beautiful, Into the Wild (cried when I read the book too), Seven Pounds, John Q, Pay it Forward, and for chick flick... PS I love you.

14. thranax profile image72
      thranaxposted 14 years ago

Old Yeller

I watched it late at night with my aunts when I was younger and I made my parents come pick me up at 3am because I was sad.

~thranax~

1. tony0724 profile image60
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good call ! I was a kid when that came out and I cried like a baby at the end of that movie .

15. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Revenge (Kevin Costner/Madeline Stowe)

The end so heartbreaking.

and that movie where Denzel Washington gave his life in exchange for the little girl he was guarding.
      Can't remember the name...?

16. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I saw this thread and was going to say, "Terms of Endearment"!  What a "horror show" that one was!  Of course, at the time I had three young children, myself, so I don't think that helped.  I usually try to stay away from sad movies if I see them coming, and I ALWAYS stay away from all animal movies.

This sounds stupid, but when my kids were little I innocently got them Land Before Time.  The part where Little Foot got separated from his mother was horrible (animated movie or not).  All three of my kids broke out sobbing, and I wasn't in great shape either.  I hid that movie "far away" it was so traumatic.   smile

1. zadrobi profile image60
        zadrobiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lisa hahahaha all I remember from that movie is peatree

17. dohn121 profile image81
      dohn121posted 14 years ago

"Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War" has to be one of the saddest war movies I've ever seen, not to mention one of the best.  Based on the Korean War, it's the perfect rendition between Brother versus Brother and North Korea versus South Korea.  It's about the promises that we make to the people we love, the atrocities of war, and is the essence of filial piety.  In South Korea, it was hailed as a hallmark of modern Korean cinema, winning every major award in South Korea.

I highly recommend any and all to go and see it.

18. europewalker profile image78
      europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Angela's Ashes, based on a true story by Frank McCourt. Makes you grateful for what you have.

19. zadrobi profile image60
      zadrobiposted 14 years ago

The saddest movie that I can remember is:

Dear Zachary -- a documentary. (i hope documentaries count)
      http://www.dearzachary.com/

Men-- do not watch this movie with a lady friend present.. you will choke up and there isn't a big enough piece of dust to excuse that many tears wink

20. Pr0metheus profile image58
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

The Green Mile - It's just sad.... that jolly giant getting executed and all

21. wavegirl22 profile image49
      wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

agree with you on Terms of Endearment but the one movie that really moved me to tears (so many that the next day my whole face was swollen from the outpouring) was The NoteBook . .
      "
      Noahs last letter to Allie
      My Dearest Allie. I couldn't sleep last night because I know that it's over between us. I'm not bitter any more, because I know that what we had was real. And if in some distant place in the future we see each other in our new lives, I'll smile at you with joy and remember how we spent the summer beneath the trees, learning from each other and growing in love. The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds, and that's what you've given me. That's what I hope to give to you forever. I love you. I'll be seeing you. Noah.~

1. dohn121 profile image81
        dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, buddy.  You just made a grown man cry sad (Just kidding)

22. gracenotes profile image89
      gracenotesposted 14 years ago

Terms of Endearment?
      One of my favorites, and I agree, a very sad movie.
      Emma to her oldest son:
      "I know you love me!"
      (Isn't that something, she sort of rescued him in the last days of her life, so he wouldn't feel as much guilt as he looked back on his memories someday.)
      The presence of Jack Nicholson as the astronaut helped make Terms of Endearment a better movie.  I can assure you that in the Larry McMurtry book, this character was far from dashing, nor was he an astronaut.  And in the book, the classic beach drive in the convertible did not exist.  Brilliant addition from Hollywood film makers.

Another sad movie:  Kundun, the Martin Scorcese movie about how the present Dalai Lama came to be exiled back about 1950.  It's terribly tragic and filmed well, though a little slow at the beginning.

23. Naomi R. Cox profile image60
      Naomi R. Coxposted 14 years ago

I think the saddest movie that I watched and literarily started crying was "Pay It Forward". All this little boy wanted to do was start a system that would help people and make a difference. He took three people and did something good for them, they each in return would help three people and it keeps going. On his birthday he was interviewed and then he was trying to help a fellow classmate, he was stabbed and died. My goodness, I'm getting teary eyed just remembering this. At the end of the picture people were coming from all over to his mom's house and leaving flowers on the lawn and had candles lite. When the song "Calling All Angel's" started playing my heart felt like it was breaking in two. I about cried my eyes out. I have seen alot of sad movies but that is the one that stands out in my mind although it's been several years since I watched it.

24. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

saddest? The Hurt Locker directed by Kathryn Bigelow

it profoundly affected me.

http://summitent.vo.llnwd.net/o25/hurtl … html#/home

25. creativeone59 profile image68
      creativeone59posted 14 years ago

The imitation of life because the daughter treated the mother like dirt and when the mother died, the daughter was running behind the funeral procession, trying to tell her mother how much loved, but it was to late she was already dead and gone. creativeone59

26. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 14 years ago

A movie called  " The House of Sand and Fog "  Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Conelly were In It . The acting and the movie were great though . Every woman In the theater was crying and I had a lump In my throat too.

27. Jonathan Janco profile image60
      Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

Sometimes In April.
      It makes Hotel Rwanda look like Blades of Glory.

28. girlpower profile image73
      girlpowerposted 14 years ago

The Piano

29. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years ago

Okay, I cried during Terms of Endearment, The Green Mile, Pay it Forward, and at the end of The Notebook. I'm just a big softie!

Anyone remember the Maxwell House commercial where the son who's been away at college comes home early for Christmas to surprise his family? That made me cry, too.

30. theageofcake profile image59
      theageofcakeposted 14 years ago

Grave of the Fireflies, an anime about two siblings trying to survive in Japan during World War II, was pretty traumatic. 

Now that I think of it, there's another Japanese film, allegedly based on a true story, about a family of 4 kids whose mother leaves them in her apartment to fend for themselves.  Its called Nobody Knows.

Japanese directors apparently love this whole childhood abandonment thing.

31. Lee Boolean profile image59
      Lee Booleanposted 14 years ago

Titanic... about half way through I realized I was only half way through.. made me cry, sink already will you!!!
      - - the things we do for love - -

32. QuirkyPearl profile image60
      QuirkyPearlposted 14 years ago

The Notebook
      Titanic
      Ghost

33. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years ago

Brian's song! Saddest movie ever!

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.themoviemind.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/brians-song.jpg

[Gale Sayers speech when rc'ving his award while Piccolo was sick in the Hospital.]
        "Now you flatter me, by giving me this award, but I say to you here and now, that Brian Piccolo is the man of courage who should receive the George S. Halas award. It is mine tonight, it is Brian Piccolo's tomorrow. I love Brian Piccolo, and I'd like all of you to love him too. And tonight, when you hit your knees, please ask God to love him" (Brian's Song).

( sad And the music they kept playing in the background...too!sad )

34. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years ago

Rut-roh! I forgot all about Ghost. That was a real tear-jerker, espcecially now that Patrick Swayze is really gone.

35. tiginban profile image60
      tiginbanposted 14 years ago

"Into the Wild" directed by Sean Penn. That movie broke my heart.

1. kingbyname profile image61
        kingbynameposted 14 years ago

It would have to be an old weepie melodrama such as Douglas Sirk's Imitation of Life.  Or Wong Kar-Wai's In The Mood For Love. 
        But perhaps saddest of all is Robert Bresson's Au hasard Balthazar - a film seen through the eyes of a donkey, as it passes from one cruel owner to another - a film so tragic it should only be watched once.

1. maudine_05 profile image61
          maudine_05posted 14 years ago

Titanic
          I am Sam
          Rainman
          The Green Mile
          Love Story
          The Land before Time

1. profile image0
            Justine76posted 14 years ago

21 Grams.
            I cant even explain why its sad to me, it just was. The woman lost her entire family, and then..well...you would just have to see it.

1. profile image0
              Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh yeah, and of course, Braveheart!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
          Necessary
          HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
          LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
          Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
          AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
          Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
          CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
          Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
          Features
          Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
          Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
          Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
          Marketing
          Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
          Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
          Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
          Statistics
          Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
          ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
          ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)