jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you be willing to reduce your life by ten years to become extremely famous

1. swalia profile image54
    swaliaposted 3 years ago

Would you be willing to reduce your life by ten years to become extremely famous?

2. Sri T profile image80
    Sri Tposted 3 years ago

No. Some people tend to think they want fame, which is really a craving for love from others. But when they become famous, some cannot handle the lack of privacy, constant media attention, worry about their children and family, or maintaining popularity to support multimillion dollar expenses. If one can handle those issues, then go for it.

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

It's not as hard as it use to be to become "famous".
    I would not cut my life short just to have my name and face plastered around.
    All one needs is to have a YouTube video go viral, hire a publicist, and promote whatever talent they have. In fact one really doesn't need "talent" to be famous.
    Just look at Kim  Kardashian! According to celebritynetworth.com she is worth $65 Million!
    (She can't sing, dance, act, play an instrument or tell jokes...etc)
    She is listed on Forbes as a "TV Personality"

4. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 2 years ago

Hi swalia! How's it going?

This is a variation of the classic question of Achilles: Live long or be Glorious?

We know that professional football players tend to make the latter choice all the time---to be Glorious, to be a Football "Hero," an American Sports Hero, to possibly be a Role Model (which Charles Barkley always renounces).

But you know, such questions are like trap-wishes posed to a literally-minded Jeannie.

For example, suppose I said: "Yeah, I live ten years less to be famous."

Now suppose I was only going to live ten more years from now. And suppose a dinosaur comes out of the past and eats me and then disappears again.

Now then, I would have achieved "fame" (the whole Andy Warhol "fifteen minutes" thing). I would have gotten that in exchange for living ten years less.

On the other hand, If I was, say, thirty years old and there was a way for me to know I was "destined" to live to be one hundred years old, I could stand "only" making it to ninety for the chance to be "extremely famous."

One the other hand, you have to be careful there as well. How would I spend my remaining sixty years? And what would I be extremely famous for? Is someone going to put handcuffs on me because I am the notorious bank robber, whose exploits have left several people injured and killed. Am I going to get "life" in prison?

Or, am I thirty and get to choose how I become extremely famous, for curing cancer, for example, know that I was originally "destined" to live to one hundred, and only had to sacrifice ten years to live until ninety?