jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Should competitive arts be drug tested like competitive sports?

1. Oztinato profile image83
    Oztinatoposted 3 years ago

Should competitive arts be drug tested like competitive sports?

In competitive sports there is compulsory drug testing but in competitive arts drug taking seems to be compulsory! Why?

2. Snøwman profile image59
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

I've never thought of this until now, but you have a good point. Why is it ok for musicians to use LSD, but it's not ok for athletes to use steroids? Competitive arts should be drug tested just like sports.

1. Oztinato profile image83
      Oztinatoposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Even the judges are sozzled

3. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 2 years ago

Hi Oztinato! How's it going?

May I ask: What do you mean by "competitive arts"?
    Also: In what way would you say the arts are competitively structured?
    If, by the arts, you mean, let's say, acting (stage, big, and small screens) --- are we saying that it has ever been determined that one can give more powerful, moving, and award-winning performances under the influence of "performance enhancing" drugs?

If we are saying that, then doesn't it follow that one hundred people out of one hundred should see the exact same thing?
    But isn't it true that what might be "overacting" to you, may be "intensity," "authenticity," and "passion" to me?

I guess what I'm asking is: How do you measure such "performance"? It seems to me that only when we can do that, can we begin to make determinations about certain plateaus of "performance," which may or may not be attainable by "natural" means.

I'm asking because I do not know.

Thanks!

working