jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Does Rappers lifestyle And Lyrics, have An Uplifting Or A Negative Effect On You

1. vveasey profile image85
    vveaseyposted 2 years ago

Does Rappers lifestyle And Lyrics, have An Uplifting Or A Negative Effect On Young Listeners?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

I believe the lyrics is (some) rap songs are negative.
    However in my opinion it's the "image" of the rapper's lifestyle and not their lyrics which has the larger impact on listeners .
    Both Rap and Rock & Roll lifestyles which include drugs, groupies, sexual promiscuity, and run ins with the law are not what most parents would want their children to emulate.
    Young listeners have always wanted to dress, look, and behave like their idols going back to Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones, Punk, Heavy Metal, Jackson 5 or whomever else they were into.
    With rappers you see the tats, ear rings, baggy pants following off behinds, oversize jerseys, gold chains, and cocky attitudes that offend those who are not into that genre of music.
    Every previous generation feels like the current generation has lost it's mind. However eventually most people do grow up, mature, get a job, marry, have children. and move on with their lives.
    The upside to rappers has been in the entrepreneurial arena.
    I grew up during the Motown, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, along with many great R&B singing groups of the era. In my opinion they all had much more talent than P.Diddy, Dr. Dre, and Jay-Z. However it can't be denied these rappers whose net worth fall in ranges of $500M up towards a $1B each have far surpassed the performers of previous generations when it comes to business savvy.
    They have diversified investments in clothing lines, jewelry, restaurants, nightclubs, alcohol beverages, movie productions, sports team ownership partners, and Dr. Dre sold his Beats Audio to Apple for $3B!
    During May of 2013, Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine donated a $70 million endowment to the University of Southern California. (Not bad).
    If the youth can learn some business acumen from these majorly successful rappers that would be one upside to the rappers lifestyle.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Interesting concept!

3. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

A lot of the lyrics are negative, though there are some positive ones.  It all goes by so fast, it's hard to understand what they're saying.  Makes me wonder if they're trying to pull a fast one on us.
    Overall, it does seem to be degrading to women.  A long time ago, Essence Magazine interviewed some rap stars, and they said at a concert, "All the b*tches stand up!" and the girls stood.  This may have a subliminal effect on how they view relationships.  Check out the proliferation of single mothers among the black community.