jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is The Godfather is the best Marlon Brando's movie, or On the Waterfront ?

1. sandeep15r profile image79
    sandeep15rposted 3 years ago

Is The Godfather is the best Marlon Brando's movie, or On the Waterfront ?

Marlon Brando is widely considered the greatest movie actor of all time, rivaled only by the more theatrically oriented Laurence Olivier in terms of esteem. He got Oscars for both the movies, The Godfather and On the waterfront. I find him best in The Godfather. What say you...

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12344467_f260.jpg

2. Besarien profile image84
    Besarienposted 3 years ago

He was great in both roles. The Godfather was a much better movie in general though, with a stellar cast all around. On the Waterfront would barely be worth watching today had Brando not been in it, in my opinion. If I had to showcase Brando's talent using one performance- I'd go with Don Corleone.

1. sandeep15r profile image79
      sandeep15rposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Indeed, it is Don Corleone. He made an offer nobody could refuse.

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 3 years ago

OTW I like for the brooding emotion around the young Brando in the fight against his fellow workers and gangsters. The Godfather is just out there on it's own - a masterpiece. His cameo role in Apocalypse Now is powerful, so powerfully creepy.

4. Rchrdsnc profile image83
    Rchrdsncposted 3 years ago

I always like to see a Brando film every once in a while just to remind myself what good acting is.  This question could go either way.

5. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 3 years ago

I think I was probably spoiled for Brando in The Godfather---so much so, I think, its kind of hard for me to accept him in other roles. I wonder if he wasn't a little bit "typecast," in a more fortunate way---if I can put it that way---than the way George Reeves was typecast as Superman.

Anyway, Brando's charisma as The Godfather was simply amazing!

working