jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you rebel against being treated like a piece of meat to climb the ladder? Ro

1. realtalk247 profile image70
    realtalk247posted 2 years ago

Do you rebel against being treated like a piece of meat to climb the ladder?  Rose McGowan doesn't!

Rose McGowan-American actress and director. Her response to a casting call was to post it on social media to expose Neanderthal thinking and sexist Hollywood casting call standards.  The casting call required:“wardrobe note:black (or dark) form fitting tank that shows off cleavage (push up bras encouraged).  And form fitting leggings or jeans. Nothing white.”
    Rose McGowan's powerful words: “Know your worth. It's not okay to be treated like a piece of meat.” -GMA Interview. When asked if she was concerned about being black-listed in the Hollywood community she responded, “bring it on.” Fierce!

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Ordinarily I would say it's not okay for anyone to be treated like a piece of meat. However having been in and around Hollywood I understand a little bit about the casting process.
    If there is an audition for a role of a hooker or a female character who uses her sex appeal to take advantage of men then having actresses show up wearing pants suits is not going to help them.
    Most auditions are for lack of a better word "cattle calls". You're given a couple of sheets of (sides) aka dialogue to go over with a casting director's assistant or another actor you've never met.
    If a casting director has to go the extra step of trying to "imagine" you dressed like the character (he or she) may find it too time consuming. Oftentimes if you don't "look the part" in the audition you're not going to get the part. The only exception is when a major star is being considered. That's Hollywood for you.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

I got nothin' but love for Rose M. but her stance seems somewhat hypocritical considering some of the outfits she wore as an up and coming starlet in the 1990s. At one time her big claim to fame was when she accompanied then-boyfriend Marilyn Manson to an awards show in a see thru dress that left very little to the imagination.

4. Motherbynature profile image77
    Motherbynatureposted 2 years ago

I love Rose but she shows her goods for a living.  Now she's mad because someone finally admitted that it is now expected of her?  I think she has developed unrealistic expectations.  He nudity or semi-nudity has been her bread and butter and helped her make a name for herself.  She should have just kept her mouth shut and rolled with it.  She's a self-made woman and there's no shame in that.  I'm not understanding why she decided to be offended by her own reputation.

5. Old-Empresario profile image83
    Old-Empresarioposted 2 years ago

Hi Realtalk,
    Actually, in the fields of film acting or modeling, that casting call requirement seems perfectly reasonable. For all we know, the part for the film was a character who needed to look a certain way (maybe she was a tart or something). Should skinny girls complain when the part calls for an overweight girl? Should an Asian girl complain if the part calls for an African American man?
    I don't know Rose McGowan. All I know is that she seemed comfortable with her body in the past. I also know that she has hit middle age. Perhaps as a working actress she feels more pressure today and feels more competition as younger and younger new aspiring actresses begin to appear. Show business is a hard business that gives an illusion of glamour.