jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is there a need for plus sized disney princesses or is animation exempt from bei

1. Celeb Scoops profile image75
    Celeb Scoopsposted 2 years ago

Is there a need for plus sized disney princesses or is animation exempt from being inclusive?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12792198_f260.jpg

2. Old-Empresario profile image83
    Old-Empresarioposted 2 years ago

Well many of them wore corsets, like Sleeping Beauty. So it's possible that they might have actually been a little bigger than it appears. Your photo on the right is probably Sleeping Beauty without the corset.

In a way it would probably also be a little inaccurate to have a western-style princess portrayed as overweight. Princesses by in large live active lifestyles through riding and other sports and so are able to maintain a slender physique. The obese sea witch Ursula, by contrast, was depicted as a lazy and lugubrious creature who lied around and ate live shrimps all day.

DreamWorks Animation, a competitor of Disney, did depict its Mayan princess in The Road the El Dorado in a more "plus-sized" capacity. Interesting bit of trivia: That same film featured the first sex scene between two animated characters (the Mayan princess and one of the Spanish explorers) in a mainstream release to theaters.

1. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

FYI: "Fritz the Cat" is a 1972 American adult animated comedy film that had sex scenes. It was rated X in theatres and is the most successful independent animated feature of all time, grossing over $90 million worldwide.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

No, I don't think there is a need to force a creator to change the vision of their creation in order to suit any particular segment.
    The market will decide with their pocketbook.
    Most studios copy whatever succeeds like it's a recipe of some kind!

4. aliasis profile image94
    aliasisposted 2 years ago

I'm not sure about plus sized, but when you post that picture with this title, it seems like you're suggesting the princess on the right side is "plus size". Not even close. If that woman existed in real life, she'd still be incredibly thin. The issue is that Disney animation frequently makes females characters impossibly and cartoonishly thin. The princess on the left would be dead. She certainly wouldn't be able to walk. Now, yes, it IS a cartoon, so body proportions should be taken with a grain of salt.. yet, the male characters are always more realistically proportioned. Their shoulders, waists, wrists tend to be much more realistic.

On one hand, I think a cartoon art style is a cartoon art style. But in a society where body image is literally the death of some girls, maybe Disney could do with making princesses at least realistically thin - especially with the noticeable contrast between the female and the male characters.

I have no personal issue with having a plus size princess, but I am interested in Disney making the princess on the right, more often than the princess on the left. More realistic proportions would be really cool.

5. fairychamber profile image84
    fairychamberposted 3 months ago

I donĀ“t think image of Aurora is really fitting because she is wearing a corset. Sleeping Beauty takes place in early middle ages when it was fashion to be very slim and hide all your curves.

What it comes to more recent Disney princesses Moana is good example of an average size teenager. She has thick thighs. Not over weight but not super thin either. Elsa, Pocahontas and Esmeralda are not either skinny princesses. Pocahontas is probably most muscular of them (and one of my favorites).

Belle in Beauty and the beast she also might be wearing corset since film takes place in 17th century France where corsets were pretty much mandatory for women to wear.

working