jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Which Chick Flicks do you think are the worst ever? Why?

1. shehealthy profile image76
    shehealthyposted 2 years ago

Which Chick Flicks do you think are the worst ever? Why?

Most of the chick flicks that I dislike are among the most popular and successful movies. my list of the 5 worst chick flicks :
    - Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
    - You've Got Mail (1998)
    - Twilight (2008)
    - Bride Wars (2009)
    - Grease (1978)

2. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

Pretty much ALL chick flicks are terrible because they push this agenda of narrating what romance is supposed to look like, the kind of toxic and problematic behaviors that women are supposed to find attractive in men (like stalking, incessant pestering, coersion, etc.) and the concept that a woman is incomplete with a man in her life and that's she only worth her appearance and who wants her. It's gross.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

Twilight is a good choice, since he's a stalker, manipulator, liar, etc.

I put 50 shades of gray higher on the list, though, since his conversion technique was well matched to the "7 steps to bring someone into a cult" by a Cracked contributor. Picks a virgin, isolates her from friends and family, tells her she has to do exactly what he says, shows her the glamour before dominating her and makes her give up everything to him - and unlike many cults, he beats her while telling her it is sexy ... and she falls in love with him a la Stockholm Syndrome.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

I've sat thru quite a number of so-called "chick flicks" during my marriage (it's only fair since my wife sits thru so many Z-grade grindhouse splatter/horror/sleaze epics with me)... most of them have been terrible, but the worst I've seen recently was the much hyped "50 Shades of Gray," which was dreadfully boring -  the least erotic "erotic film" I've ever seen.  I've gotten more of a "charge" out of re-runs of "Charmed."

My wife's favorite chick flicks are still "Pretty Woman" and "Dirty Dancing," I remember one time the local TV station played both of them back to back on a Sunday afternoon, my wife was in her glory, while I went for a long walk outside and tried to stay away till they were over. Haha.

5. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

Since 98% of chick films are "fiction & fantasy,"  this is precisely how I view them.  I can manage to enjoy just about any movie once I've decided I'd like to see it. Movies ARE, after all, entertainment (or ways to pass the time while relaxing)

Of the movies you list, I never got the Twilight Fever nor did I see Bride Wars.  The other 3 I did see and thought they were at least, "Fun."  I LOVE musicals of any kind, so "Grease" is up there with my favorites.

Someone mentioned "Pretty Women," & sometimes I enjoy a movie because I like the actors in it.....but talk about "FANTASY!!"   As though a wealthy, handsome business executive is going to fall in love with and "rescue" a prostitute.   Yeah, that'll happen......never. EVEN if she looks like Julia!

I either enjoy a movie or I don't.  I rarely try to "rate" them....I leave that to the authentic critics who get paid to do that.

Good question!