This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Who are some underrated guitarists that you know of?

1. APPetty profile image89
    APPettyposted 15 months ago

Who are some underrated guitarists that you know of?

They can be from the past in to the present. They can be men or women, ones of different age groups, or even ones of different genres. Who are yours and why?

2. lions44 profile image99
    lions44posted 15 months ago

Nile Rodgers, of Chic fame. He's an extraordinarily talented guitarist and because it was "disco," largely ignored by critics who lavished praised on more rock-oriented/metal guys like Van Halen, Satriani and Clapton (they rightly deserved their praise as well). 
    Rodgers, who recently went through cancer treatment, is still working and I believe teaches a master class somewhere.  But ask someone you know who plays guitar (or maybe yourself) to play "Le-Freak" and see how difficult it is. Thankfully he's in the HoF.

Honorary mention:  singer/songwriter Matthew Sweet.   

Great question.

1. APPetty profile image89
      APPettyposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for the response and great answer! I'm familiar with Nile and he is talented. "Le Freak" is a difficult song to play!

3. Qmarpat profile image68
    Qmarpatposted 15 months ago

I don't think Jimmi Hendrix really got attention, until after his death. Prince, I liked his riffs, and he was somewhat like Hendrix
    Larry Graham of of Grand Central Station. He was known for his unique, "Thumping and Plunking", method. It was developed while he was paying with Sly and the Family Stone. You can hear it on he song, Thank You for Letting Me be Myself. I also like, Robert Cray the Blues artist, that would play with BB King sometimes.He was one of the younger Blues Artist of the twenty century. You can hear, his unique style on, Smoking Gun. I always love to sing the Blues of Elmore James. He died early, in the 1960's. He has a style that was once called, "The crying guitar". You can hear it on, It Hurts Me Too.

working