Did Star Wars rob Hollywood of one of it's best directors?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

A few years ago, Martin Scorsese was quoted as saying that he feels that the "Star Wars" franchise has robbed one of hollywood's best and creative directors.  What are your thoughts on this though?  Did Star Wars rob Hollywood of one it's best directors of all time?  Or is Scorsese just talking crazy here?  What are your thoughts on this?

I know this is kind of a strange debate to have, but I thought it might be a lot of fun to discuss.

1. profile image52
      Leenaz12posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know  about Wars rob. that's why couldn't speak.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

.....okay.....hmm

2. Titen-Sxull profile image71
      Titen-Sxullposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Given the god awful nature of Lucas's latest films do we really want this guy directing more films? I mean he is responsible for the travesties that were the Star Wars prequels. You are aware that George didn't actually direct Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi I hope, which means that he is not the sole reason the original trilogy was great. I'm sure he isn't the sole reason the prequels were bad, but since he was in the directors seat he definitely had to have a lot to do with it.

So I disagree with Scorsese on this big time. If Star Wars hadn't been a hit what would Lucas have done made Howard the Duck 2?

1. profile image0

Are you referring to Irvin Kershner (Empire Strikes Back) and Richard Marquand (Return of the Jedi)?  Yes, I'm well aware that George Lucas didn't direct those films, but he was executive producer for both films and had a hand in the script process.  Therefore, it was still ultimately his vision in the original trilogy.  Believe it or not, producers do have a hand in the creative process in films, as you can easily watch the film, "Devil", which was produced by Shamalan.  However, even though he didn't direct the film, you can still tell the movie had his same unique style approach to the overall process of the film.  Therefore, I wouldn't dismiss or downplay Lucas' impact on the original Star Wars trilogy, as a producer can have a lot influence when it comes to the creative process of a movie.

Granted, there are a lot of producers that allow directors a great deal of freedom to work with, but there are others that do have a more hands on approach; George Lucas happens to be one of them.  Just go look at the "Indiana Jones" movies for examples of this.  However, you're right about the prequels.  Those films, with the exception of the ending of Episode III, it sucked.  Like "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi", he should've hired another director and screenwriter to touch up the story.  He could've worked as a producer on the prequels, so he can still have a hand in the production process.  However, he didn't, as it seems he focused too much on the visuals for the prequels rather than just telling a unique story like he did with the original trilogy.

I think if Lucas never would've gotten a chance to create his "Star Wars" trilogy, then he might've gone on to direct more classic films.  However, since it did, it seems like he's become more of a businessman of cinema.  Not that I would ever fault him for that, as it's still his vision, and I would never dare criticize someone that has had as much impact on the film industry as he did.  However, I do think that Lucas lost his way creatively speaking.  Anyways, I appreciate you sharing your thought process with us.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

you're speaking of George Lucas?  I don't think Hollywood did anything. I think Lucas did what he wanted to do and look at how successful he is. He has been extremely creative and independent of the Hollywood hold on what he can and cannot do.

I don't think every great director/producer has to fit into a mold..

1. profile image0

Yep, Martin Scorsese was talking about George Lucas a few years ago about this, as he feels that if it wasn't for "Star Wars", then George would still would've gone on to direct more films than he has today.  However, I do agree with you, rebekah.  although scorsese is one of the few directors that has the clout to even question lucas, I can't say I agree with him.  After all, part of being a great creative visionary involves taking chances and doing things you want to do; even if it conflicts with the social norms of things.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I agree, he is such a successful producer and has given so much to the film industry. http://www.lucasfilm.com/inside/bio/georgelucas.html  looks like a very successful man and portfolio!

4. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

i think marty was just having an off day or was off his meds when he said that.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There may be some truth to this....
      wink

2. profile image0

lol  Yep, you could be right about that one. lol

5. T.R. Harris profile image61
    T.R. Harrisposted 13 years ago

I like Scorsese's work, and I value him as a director. That being said, his anti science fiction bias and cultural snobbery comes through in this statement. He comes from a generation that looked at anything that had "ray guns" and "rockets" as kid stuff. The Star Wars saga is, in my estimation a brilliantly crafted mythos and morality drama...it brings up questions of governmental legitimacy, emotional discordance, and what it means to be a true hero.

Granted, there have been some duds in the saga (The Phantom Menace comes to mind) and troubles with continuity (The Clone Wars movie and series); however, I can say that without a doubt, George Lucas has created a legacy and body of work that will live in perpetuity.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I don't disagree with most of your statement there, as Lucas did create a great storyline.  One that could potentially go on forever if he plans it right.  However, I wouldn't call Scorsese snobbish for his opinion though.  After all, I think Scorsese is one of the few directors in Hollywood that can make this type of statement, and still retain credibility, as one could say that both Scorsese and Lucas made great impacts on the film industry as a whole.  Granted, Lucas made his impact in a more unconventional way, but that's great because he not only changed how movies are marketed today, he also helped legitimized and popularize a genre in films that used to be taken lightly by a lot of studios.

6. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Lucas is shrewd and ruthless, forced John Dykstra out of partnership after Star Wars (Dykstra is the Hollywood legend behind late 20th century special effects of all kinds, just returning from London after doing effects for the latest X-men movie).

Lucas is talented, but he also suffers from one of the biggest over inflated egos in Hollywood. So in that regard, I don't think Lucas not directing so much as a loss. I think there are other smarter, more talented people who are starting to step up to the plate.

1. profile image0

i didn't know that.  that's a real shame, as they made a great team.  however, i guess that might explain why George moved the franchise over to Warner Bros. when he started producing the "Clone Wars" movie and series.

7. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

To a degree, I agree with Scorsese. My favorite George Lucas film will always be American Graffiti. The Star Wars franchise allowed him to show off his creativity, but its success also eventually narrowed his creativity, and then advanced CGI came along and completely killed it. Now Lucas seems to only be interested in milking his cash cows. His bank account might be healthy, but it came at the expense of his legacy. You generally don't hear Lucas's name listed with the great directors, because he stopped making great movies a long time ago.

1. profile image0

Well you might have a good point there. I tend to think if Lucas never would've made Star Wars, then he probably would've gone on to direct and produce more quality movies than he already has, as his time wouldn't have been so preoccupied with running an epic franchise; which is essentially what Star Wars has become. However, it's Lucas' legacy; not ours.  I personally think he made the right choice going the route he did because like T.R. just touched on, he did create a great storyline that carried a lot of powerful themes to it. 

Plus, he also changed how movies are marketed today, as Star Wars was one of the first epic franchises to gain tremendous revenue through merchandising.  Something that was still unfamiliar to Hollywood, to capitalize on at the time, when the first Star Wars film came out.  Sure, there was Disney cartoons that merchandised too, but Star Wars was the first to successfully do it with a live action sci-fi series.

8. Man from Modesto profile image79
    Man from Modestoposted 13 years ago

If you want to say a director was "lost", you must agree that the films produced were trash.

In a business sense, they have grossed a fortune.

In entertainment sense, they are very enjoyable movies.

The only way to throw the Star Wars series under the bus is to promote the strange attitude among artists that certain theater and certain film is more artistic than other forms.

I don't think that way. The artists have conformity to their particular in-group. They like to see art that appeals to the educated artist.

The common man (like me) wants to be excited, to feel with the characters and to not realize 90 minutes have passed when the credits roll.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)