jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Is George Lucas a traitor of Star Wars fans?

1. David Trujillo profile image86
    David Trujilloposted 4 years ago

Is George Lucas a traitor of Star Wars fans?

After watching the People against George Lucas documentary film I can feel the hatred of die-hard Star Wars fans with the changes made on the re-mastered films. George Lucas changed into a greedy Grinch and changed the format of his movies to appeal and be more suitable for children. Do you think he ruined a historical patrimony of the film industry or that he can do whatever he likes with his creations?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8001793_f260.jpg

2. cryptid profile image97
    cryptidposted 4 years ago

I'm a big Star Wars fan.  Things is, when I first saw Star Wars back in the '70s I was six years old.  Most of us who grew up as fans started watching the movies when we were little kids.  The first three Star Wars movies consisted of comic relief robots, goofy aliens, a giant talking slug, little man-bears that beat up heavily armed soldiers with rocks and sticks, and a sasquatch who spoke gibberish but somehow was understood by his human best friend.  These were hardly adult movies.  If they were, I doubt I would have cared about them.  The most adult thing was Leia's metal bikini.  Thankfully I was getting old enough to appreciate that by the time Jedi came out. 

Jar Jar aside, I would think the newest three movies are more adult that the others simply because of the relationship between Padme and Anakin.  They are also much more complex as far as understanding the politics of what was going on.  I don't think I would have followed that when I was a kid, and I somehow doubt that many kids do today.

I think older fans tend to remember the older movies as something they weren't.  They were movies for everyone, and very kid friendly.  IMO, there's nothing wrong with Star Wars appealing to kids.   

I do have issue with the Han Shot First thing, though.  But that's more because I felt like Lucas changed the essence of the character in the name of political correctness.

David Trujilloposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great answer. This is actually the conclusion of the documentary.  Die hard fans where kids at the time so they forget this is a kids movie. But changing the Han Solo scene, as you say, is like destroying historical art

3. JimTxMiller profile image77
    JimTxMillerposted 4 years ago

Does anyone really care, and if so, WHY?

Because it marked their lives. Watch the documentary.

4. jdw7979 profile image79
    jdw7979posted 4 years ago

Is he a traitor? Not real sure about that, but I know he has an EGO the size of The Death Star!

Thankfully he is only consultant and idea man on the next three..

5. EJ Lambert profile image74
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

If anything I think he's done Star Wars fans a huge favor.  Yes, the series was his creation but let's not forget some key factors.  Perhaps the best movie of the series wasn't directed by him (Empire Strikes Back).  He oversaw three largely mediocre prequels and hasn't found that groove that made the first trilogy so successful though I would say his video game franchise carried that torch.  I think passing it off to the next generation was the smart thing to do.

How did you manage to place a link in the question?

2. EJ Lambert profile image74
      EJ Lambertposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean?

3. David Trujillo profile image86

"Star Wars" in your comment is hyperlinked. I do not see hyperlink features in "Answers". Or did hubpages automaticly did that? I feel like I´m asking a stupid question.

4. EJ Lambert profile image74
      EJ Lambertposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it wasn't me.  Must've been them or spam.

working