jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

The Importance of Film Scores and Soundtracks

1. Genna East profile image89
    Genna Eastposted 6 years ago

Film scores and songs are of pivotal importance to the success of the movie.  They underline and enhance the scenes in the film, call to our emotions and senses, and are powerful mood-setters.  Which song or scoring was the most effective of any film you have seen, and why?

2. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 6 years ago

The music that Bernard Herrmann wrote for the Alfred Hitchcock movie 'Psycho', is one of the most effective uses of music for accompanying a movie.  Not just the screeching violins in the famous shower scene, either.

[note: apparently, Hitchcock wasn't going to use music for that scene, until he heard what B. Herrmann came up with].

The rest of the music in 'Psycho' absolutely sets the tone for every scene that it's used in.  It uses only strings, to create just the right mood, to complement the black and white visuals.

Others that come to mind are The Wizard of Oz (not just for the songs), and The Great Escape (another Bernard Herrmann score).

1. Genna East profile image89
      Genna Eastposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good choice on Psycho.  I never thought of the Wizard of Oz, but that would also top my list as well.  Field of Dreams, Ordinary People, Star Wars, ET, and The Deer Hunter are a few others.

2. timorous profile image92
      timorousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

A correction: The Great Escape music was composed by Elmer Bernstein.  My apologies.

3. s t e l l a profile image51
    s t e l l aposted 6 years ago

I have so many I enjoy, being a film nut and a musician its understandable!

I love Thomas Newman and I think the score he did for American Beauty was just absolute perfection because it just completely moved me; the film itself was amazing. The screenplay, the directing and the cast were spot on and Thomas Newman just pulled it altogether in the most stunning way with his music.
    It's sinister, sexy and beautiful.

x

working