KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

In recent news, it looks like we finally know who our villain is in the upcoming "Superman: Man of Steel" film.  Or at least one of them...hopefully...it's none other than famous Superman baddie, General Zod.  Some of you may remember Zod as the evil Kryptonian General from Christopher Reeves' popular "Superman II."  Plus, it seems Michael Shannon, who some might remember from such films as "Revolutionary Road", which earned him a well deserved Academy Award nomination, is cast to play the role of Zod.

Anyways, Michael Shannon is playing General Zod; which in laimen terms means that you can expect casting news on who plays his cohorts Kryptonian henchmen soon.  Although I am happy that Superman will have a villain that forces him to use all his powers to save the day, I am a bit disappointed by this.  Seriously, we're talking about a character who has a 100 yrs worth of history, and fought villains across the universe and parallel dimensions in comic books.  However, the best WB can do is make up villains and keep throwing Lex Luthor at him?  Seriously?  Or in this case, recycle villains?  Gee, what about Brainiac?  He's from Krypton.  I'd much rather he was the bad guy in this film rather than Zod because not only can he challenge superman physically like Zod can, but he's DIFFERENT.  This just seems like WB is recycling the same villains...AGAIN!.  Oh well.  I'll still watch it, but i hope to god that there's another main bad guy (besides lex luthor who we already know is in the film) besides Zod in this movie.  I'm just praying that maybe...just maybe...Brainiac will be the brains behind Zod.  That would be cool. 

However, I guess we'll have to wait and see.  by the way....KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!

2. profile image0

You know in hindsight, I think a revamped version of Zod could work on the big screen.  After all, with Nolan handling the script and producing, while Snyder handles the choreography and special effects, then we might actually see an epic adventure worthy of the name SUPERMAN!  I just wonder who else will be in this film, as I have a feeling he won't be the only villain.  I know WB is actively casting Lex Luther, as we speak.  However, I wonder if WB and Snyder have another ace up their sleeve....what do you guys think?

3. profile image0

I will say this though.  At least they're casting rather well for the parts that they do have in this film if I do say so myself.

edit:  plus, with Zod's Kryptonian military training, you know he can kick the crap out of Superman, who relies too much on his powers.  Therefore, I expect to see Superman get his a** kicked by Zod and his military trained super powered goons.

4. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

i have to stop you from talking to yourself lol. Isn't he the guy that played the general in startship troopers?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so.  It doesn't list "starship troopers" on the list of films he's done on imdb, from what I can tell.  unless, i over looked it.  Oh well, I'm sure he'll play a fine general zod though.  who knows maybe with today's moder cgi, we'll see some pretty cool fight scenes with Superman; unlike the last movie.  Anyways, thanks for stopping me from talking to myself, as I got lost in my train of thoughts there for a minute.  temporary insanity i tells ya!  lol

5. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I dont kneel for anyone.....smile

1. Daffy Duck profile image61
      Daffy Duckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You did for me last night.  Am I that Unforgettable?  What the Hell! :-)

1. profile image0

In the words of the real Daffy Duck, "You're despicable!"  lol j/k

Seriously though, you're a pretty funny guy, as I always get a chuckle reading some of your posts. lol

1. Daffy Duck profile image61
          Daffy Duckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love to make people laugh. :-)

2. profile image0

Really?  Is that a fact?  wink

6. optimus grimlock profile image59

thats not what I heard lol j/k. I saw who he was the guy always plays a good bad guy so he'll do just fine!

1. profile image0

lollollol

I agree. I think he can pull it off.  I'm just curious to see who else gets cast now, as I'm still kind of hoping this will somehow lead into a sequel with Brainiac, as that would really be awesome. big_smile

7. nell79 profile image80
    nell79posted 12 years ago

I'll be watching! My family eats these kinds of movies up. Hopefully we won't be disappointed smile

1. profile image0

Same here. I just hope its a helluva a lot better than what we saw in "Superman Returns."  Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments, but it wasn't exactly as great as it should've been....

8. optimus grimlock profile image59

Thats a great self photo to bad its time to shave the beard lol

9. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

This thread is just a pile of cats and dogs and cartoons !!

Superman will not move forward as he is trapped in time by being type cast by himself, so the villains are trapped with him.  There are no new horizons at the moment as society stagnates in the bile of its own unpaid mortgages and national trillions of debt.

When some new way forward opens up it will provide a window for Superman to fly into the future - or not.

I sometimes think that Superman was created to replace the god figure for people too clever to be taken in by that idea - along with his fallen angel baddies etc.

1. nell79 profile image80
      nell79posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now tell us how you really feel tongue Feel better?

Superman is nothing more than fantasy and a way to temporarily escape from everyday life. I personally love these kinds of things, but am more than happy to get back to life afterwards, no worse for wear and usually very much entertained.

You can twist and turn and analyze it any which way you choose. It doesn't make it so. Everything in life has different meanings to different people. It'd be ever so boring otherwise! smile

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You may well be right - but Superman is still trapped in his own time !  nothing we can do about that, you can't wish him out - anyway he would get laughed off the set these days if he appeared wearing those camp knickers his mother made for him big_smile

1. nell79 profile image80
          nell79posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha! I've thought about that....yeah, that costume of his is really something! lol

2. profile image0

Well I don't know about that.  I think Nell kind of hit it on the head that not everyone will interpret things the same way when it relates to science fiction and fantasy.  Sure, you can look at some of the religious aspects when it come to Superman, as there is a strong "savior" theme to his character that has caused even many comic book experts to claim he's the "jesus christ" of superheroes.  However, on the other hand, you can look at him as the ultimate immigrant; which if you stop to think about it...he is a immigrant in the USA. 

One could easily look at his character coming from Krypton, where he had no powers whatsoever, as a metaphor for how economically oppressive most other countries are.  Then when Superman grows up on Earth, particularly the US (wink wink), he's suddenly able to do almost ANYTHING.  Which could be a metaphor on how the US allows any immigrant to rise above to do almost anything their heart desires. 

However, another good metaphor to think about when it comes to Superman is how Christopher Nolan and Michael Caine have referred to him; which makes a lot of sense when you stop to think about it.  In fact, I'll quote Nolan for you if you like:

I tend to agree with Michael Caine, when it comes to Superman.  Superman is really the metaphorical representation of how America sees itself, as being an almighty godlike super power that always does the right thing.  Whereas Batman, he's the metaphorical representation of how EVERYONE ELSE sees America; a outlaw vigilante that often borders on the line of breaking various laws in order to get results by any means necessary.   

Don't get me wrong, you can choose to look at Superman by any one of these metaphors, and you wouldn't be wrong to go by any one.  However, I kind of agree with Snyder when he said, "People have various ideas of who Superman is, but many of them probably aren't a 100 percent accurate, as he's a much deeper character than most people know."

anyways, those are just my thoughts anyways.  big_smile

10. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I consider this is an insufficient response to my main deeper point that this guy wears satin knickers - OVER HIS TIGHTS - that his mother made for him !  big_smile

1. profile image0

lollol well in Superman's defense, his trademark costume is actually made out of the indestructible blanket he was wrapped in as a baby.  He wears it mainly to keep in touch with his home world, but it's also every bit as indestructible as he is. 

Then again, you do have a point that it does look a tad ridiculous.  However, that logic can be pretty much applied to almost any other superhero out there then if you want to use that rhetorical excuse. lol

AND you bring up another blatantly ridiculous point - if the blanket was indestructable - how did his Mom cut it up and sew it - HAH !

1. profile image0

in the comic book and old 50's tv show, they claim he used his heat vision to help cut the fabric into a costume; along with some of the kryptonian tech he had up in the fortress of solitude.

Yeah well - indestructable is indestructable - if they couldn't even get that right !  big_smile 

Anyway he is still unbelievably camp with those tights and the little red girl-scout cape thing going on - he wouldn't last one minute in San Quentin, super powers or not !

1. profile image0

lol Well maybe the correct wording I should've used was indestructable by any EARTH methods.  lol  Hey, don't shoot the messenger okay, as I'm just telling you the logic they use in the comic books.  However, if you think that's funny, then you probably shouldn't ask me about the logic of how nobody in Metropolis knows that Clark Kent and Superman are the same guy; even though all he does is comb his hair differently, change his voice and wears glasses as Clark.

lollol

Don't know who San Quentin is, so I'll just take your word for it.  However, any guy that can stop a bullet with his freaking eyeball alone has my respects.  lollol j/k

Metropolis is the clue to it all - the guy who coined the term writes about how we have moved to receiving our information in a visual way due to city life, as a series of disconnected passing images where we only see what shocks us or stands out.  Means we don't see the bleedin' obvious I guess ?

1. profile image0

Wow, that's a helluva a lot better than what i was going to say if you had asked me, as I think I like your explanation of it better then.  big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)