Pink Floyd (Music)

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (42 posts)
  1. marwan asmar profile image67
    marwan asmarposted 13 years ago

I can't resist but ask this: Don't you think Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd is still the greatest album that was ever made, influencing generations upon generations of music lovers, protroding an exquisite musical taste?

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's def awesome!

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like wot you said Habee. smile

marwan asmarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But maybe there is more. It was music at its best. In the light of the hippie revolution, pop music, and the heavy drainage of sound, PF, represented a distinct taste, a cultural 'betterment' of what came to exist in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Unfortunately, I don't think it got the recognition it properly deserved because of the diatrabe that flooded our radios, concerts, television and shops.

I don't know so much about that, but it was HUGE in Australia, and my grandchildren still love it. smile

Actually in this part of the world, people especially those raised in an "English culture" do know PF and enjoy the songs. A friend of mine told me, they actually sang the Wall in a concert they performed at Jordan University in the 1990s. Isn't it pleasently exciting, you in Australia, me in Jordan, communicating online through hubpages in Calfornia. Cheers!

Cheers! smile

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
          DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe not the best of all time, but definitely in top 10.  Pink Floyd = Genius!

2. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did a hub on the most influential albums of all time. This album is there, as is Sgt Peppers Lonelt hearts club band, Led Zep IV, Bringing it All back Home (Dylan), London Calling (Clash), My Generation, Thriller and many many more!!!

I agree that Dark Side of the Moon is close to the top of the list in importance!

3. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A great album indeed but not the greatest ever, not even the greatest by Floyd, which for my money has to be "Wish You Were Here"

Another magnifecent album

Sorry guys, gals this wasn't supposed to be on the Iraqi forum, but now it is thanks for having such an opinionated good time

1. Jonathan Janco profile image60
            Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm disappointed. I really thought there was some connection there. Music does have healing/uniting properties, you know

Well, there is a connection--good music--as you say healing! But I felt I had to say something in the light of the coments that were coming in, sorry!

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why is this posted in politics?  I love their music, especially the album Meddle.  Dark Side of the Moon is a timeless piece of work.

2. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

As you can see from my avatar, I am a huge fan. The Dark Side of the Moon set the bar for all other groups. My second favourite is of course the Wall.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pink Floyd is ok!

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

So...what's your favorite PF song, everyone? Here's mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNIM4L6e … re=related

I LOVE this song!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great choice.

4. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Here's mine. I enjoy nothing better then getting home from the club, put the earphones on, volume to 10 and sit back and relax. Its the last song they did together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wtiNzci1Wc

I love it when you see the drummer take of his headphones to hear the guitar rift..

Enjoy..

1. habee profile image92

Comfortably Numb comes in a close second for me, Terry!

5. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

You have to be in a very open state of mind to really absorb the meaning of Pink Floyd's lyrics.The name of the band was a tribute to two blues singers they considered there inspiration.Pink[last name]Floyd[first name].DSM is the journey from birth to death...heartbeat begins,heart beat fades out.The Wall,each of us accumulating different Bricks[painful experiences]during our lives...The ultimate question of ego defence mechanisms rule or destruction.The track that stands out in my mind is a short instrumental that will touch the deepest part of your being,I promise...Marooned,it's on youtube.Pink...Floyd...

6. marwan asmar profile image67

A lot of music, lots of fans. Pink Floyd must be great thanks to many people out there who still appreciate their artistic music. One hell of a group!

7. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years ago

I love Pink Floyd and have for years. There just have been so few bands that remained so consistent for so long. Although Dark Side is undoubtedly brilliant, I prefer the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd (perhaps because it was so short lived) and Piper at the Gates of Dawn is definitely the albumn by them that I enjoy the most. But when it comes down to it, my favorite song is Echoes from the lp Meddle, the last pre-Dark Side albumn.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

this is the best thread I've seen in the politics forum. big_smile

so many favorites. I don't think there's any problem in life that listening to Pink Floyd can't remedy.. . at least for a while.

Comfortably Numb has to be one of the greats.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B3-HXfV … re=related

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - genius.

Who doesn't love Dark Side of the Moon??

[maybe the world needs to listen to PF more often to keep life in perspective] smile

1. Jonathan Janco profile image60
      Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it is nice to know that Iraqi politics has been made smoother thanks to the music of Pink Floyd. Funny how no one has pointed out why/how . . .

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it's fine, I think it has a perfect place here.

9. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Impossible to pick a single favorite, but I really like this one even if it was post-Waters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-Nacm-pKc

1. habee profile image92

Great song and beautiful video, Ron!

10. marwan asmar profile image67

Can I just say with PF, the music seems timeless. With Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here, I get the feeling that its today, orginal, fresh and current, not so with other music which had a time label, tied to a specific period.

11. ttagpine profile image75
    ttagpineposted 12 years ago

I may be getting in a little over my head here but, if Pink Floyd has been entered a political forum, it may be partly due to the album (& movie) "The Wall", which had a few strong political overtones. The marching hammers & the Hitler-like speech for example. The movie connects all the songs from the album into a large part of the story of Pink's life.
    I do love the Dark side of the Moon, but I can somewhat immerse myself into Pink's world while watching The Wall.

12. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Us and Them.

13. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 12 years ago

Has to be Pink Floyd Animals is my favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJWis5wH54

Have to strike when the moment is right

14. sim0n30 profile image60
    sim0n30posted 12 years ago

I love Dark side of the moon. Money is one of my favourite songs of all time!

15. carruth00 profile image61
    carruth00posted 12 years ago

Pink Floyd has been a favorite since the Barrett days. I live about eight blocks from the home of Pink Anderson, famous Carolina blues player, and the inspiration for 'Pink' in Pink Floyd. ( Along with Floyd Council from North Carolina ). I went by the home with a friend of mine a few weeks ago and spoke with the gentleman living there now. He's never heard of Pink Floyd. Anyway, Barrett's 'Watch that Axe, Eugene' sticks out in my mind for some odd reason. Dark Side of the Moon is one of the top five or six rock albums on virtually any list. Can't forget the Beatle's Revolver, Sgt Peppers and the White Album, as well as the Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds'... JMHO

1. profile image0
      andycoolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"The Wall" is just awesome! I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd and David Gilmour.

16. Lenzdp08 profile image60
    Lenzdp08posted 12 years ago

Check out my hubs on great new music. Yeah Pink Floyd was good but lets not get stuck in the past.
    <URL snipped - no self-promotion in the forums>

17. kenneth avery profile image80
    kenneth averyposted 12 years ago

I love MONEY  by P.Floyd. Then. Now. Always.

18. Cheeky Girl profile image67
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Pink Floyd is the Most Unique Band ever! "The Wall" is one I love but all their music is awesome. Singles were not their thing...maybe that is why they are so good. They sold tons of records and sold out concerts. They had the creative freedom to be anything...they were. They innovated so well. Great band chemistry with band members.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think Piper at the Gates of Dawn, See Emily Play and Arnold Layne. They tried to imitate Syd's style in Dark Side of the Moon, and got the dreamy part right. I still love the album though, (Dark Side) it's like the sound track of my HS years!

19. OutWest profile image58
    OutWestposted 12 years ago

Love PF and Dark Side was a ground breaking album in Rock.  It takes you through life and even starts out as classical style of music to hook everyone in.

20. MattPyeMusic profile image58
    MattPyeMusicposted 12 years ago

Abso-Fucking-Lutely i mentioned them in my hub about the death of the music industry

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)