Are the Beatles or Led Zeppelin the greatest band ever?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 59 discussions (84 posts)
  1. profile image58
    Mr. Phantasmposted 16 years ago

I think they're the two greatest bands in history, but only one can be the best. 

In my opinion, the Beatles were better.  They evolved so far in such a short amount of time, and so much of their music paved the way for bands that came years after them.  Everyone from Lynyrd Skynyrd to Foo Fighters has claimed they were an inspiration to them. 

Besides, did Led Zeppelin ever do an album as perfect as The White Album, or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

Let the fireworks begin...

1. PUMP THA FLAVA profile image55
      PUMP THA FLAVAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

the best groups? must we forget, how fast must
      we forget! who was the highest paid rock entertainer
      in the sixties? his music career was very short! he's
      been dead for about 38 yrs now! his estate is still
      raking in multi-million dollars every year from record
      tv...etc sales! when the beatles were hot, they never
      got paid like this guy! the beatles loved this guy!
      i got my facts from many books, his friends and the public
      broadcasting station! i loved the beatles and i really
      loved led zepplin! but you forgot about JIMI HENDRIX!

"PUMP THA FLAVA"
      RUBIN RILEY

<snipped promotional link>

2. profile image0
      eer2eternityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would really have to rack my brain if the question was who is the second best band of all time. Probably, in my mind, The Stones, but, no question the best has always been and always will be The Beatles.

2. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years ago

I love Led Zeppelin but the Beatles are #1. No other band has left such a change on Pop Music as the Beatles. zs

3. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

I like both Zeplin and the Beattles, but my fav. is Floyd.  I can never get enough of Floyd.

1. DR ZOIDBURG ! profile image60
      DR ZOIDBURG !posted 15 years agoin reply to this

There is no disputing that PINK FLOYD THE BEST EVER BAND IN THE WORLD FACT!!!

seen them 2 times they even stayed in same hotel as me when i went to see them ..best money i ever,ever spent !! rather go see floyd live than win the lottery!!

enough said !!!

4. Hope Alexander profile image67
    Hope Alexanderposted 16 years ago

I think the Wriggles have always been under appreciated. That Jeff, always asleep... genius!

5. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 16 years ago

The Beatles and Led Zeplin are great.  My favorite song by the Beatles is "All Together Now."  However,   my favorite all time band is the Moody Blues because of love their lyrics, melodies, and long track record as gentlemen.  The Moodies use to open for the Beatles in the early days and Mike Pinder introduced them to the Mellotron, which was used in Strawberry Fields Forever.  The Moody Blues are one of the few bands who have been playing for over forty years and who have not been admitted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which is very shameful because this band has contributed quite a bit to modern music.

6. profile image58
    Mr. Phantasmposted 16 years ago

I agree about the Moody Blues, SweetiePie.  If they can put Madonna in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, for crying out loud, they can put the Moody Blues in.

7. Shirley Anderson profile image70
    Shirley Andersonposted 16 years ago

BEATLES!  BEATLES!  BEATLES!

8. Originplus profile image60
    Originplusposted 16 years ago

i think zep had the greatest song ...stairway to heaven, but beattles r a better band .

9. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Pink Floyd is hands down first for me in English singing bands. There are other languages, though, and this is where things get really complicated big_smile

10. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

The Beatles are the Best Band ever because of the the prolific songwriting they did at Rock-n-Roll's inception.  They wrote most of the great songs before anyone else could so people just decided to rip them off. 

Led Zeppelin is the greatest Rock band though.   the Beatles were pop for most of their career.
    Rock-n-Roll is the primal urge of rebellion that you can feel down to your very soul.  Something you HAVE TO DO because you are driven by forces you barely understand.  They was Zeppelin.

Verdict:  The Beatles were better but they didn't rock half as hard as Led Zeppelin.

11. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

?????  The subject is which band is better?   
    Jimi is the man but you are acting like we forgot to include him.  Off-topic ~ Minus 5 points smile

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol, good call

12. angelamp profile image59
    angelampposted 15 years ago

THE BEATLES!!! I love them!  I grew up listening to my parents' old Beatles records... believe me their songs have this certain effect on me.  Sort of gave me freedom and refuge during my younger years.

I have one very favorite Led Zeppelin song though... D'yer Ma'ker!!! Oh oh oh oh oh oh....

13. profile image0
    Peter_Sobczakposted 15 years ago

I think Pink Floyd is better than both. Beatles and Zep gets old to me, but I could listen to Floyd all day.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I could listen to Floyd all day too!  Though I do have my days when Zep is all I wanna hear with a hole lotta love! 

If Floyd was a christain band, maybe they would have said, Father should I trust the government.  LOL.  Kiddin, bad joke, bad joke.

14. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

LOL!  Good one Sandra.   

Essential LED ~
    Moby Dick,
    Bring It On Home,
    Hey, Hey What Can I Do?
    Fool In The Rain.
    Misty Mountain Hop
    and
    RAMBLE ON!

Essential BEATLES~
    Help!
    Paperback Writer
    Ballad of John and Yoko
    Penny Lane
    A Day In The Life
    Gettin Better
    I Am The Walrus

and like 50 more!!

1. profile image0

Led: Misty Mountain- for shizzle!
      Beattles: Blackbird and Strawberry Fields ( Rita!!!)
      Floyd: Comfortably Numb and Nobody Home

1. profile image0
        Peter_Sobczakposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you about Strawberry Fields, and I think my favorite Floyd song is Coming Back to Life. In fact... *runs to his CD colection*

1. profile image0

What do you think about Shine On?  LOve that song.  smile

1. profile image0
            Peter_Sobczakposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Excellent song, excellent tribute to Syd. smile

2. Misha profile image64
            Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Don't know which is my favorite one - this or Money smile
            In fact I love all or almost all of what they ever made smile

1. profile image0

Me too!  The first time me and my dad ever made a connection it was listening to Floyd.  smile

15. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Beatles, bands down.

16. Passionatepurpose profile image41
    Passionatepurposeposted 15 years ago

Any person who was old enough to appreciate the Beatles when they were performing could not pick any other band..

1. profile image0

You don't have to be old to appreciate the Beattles and you don't have to be a drug addict to love Floyd.  LOL.  smile

2. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Disagree smile

1. profile image0

me too, I disagree.  smile

1. DJ Funktual profile image76
          DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Me three. 

I also love Dirty Woman by Floyd.

1. profile image52
            Reverend Flashposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think you mean "Young Lust".

3. Peter Hoggan profile image69
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats the problem, nobody heard the Beatles perform live because of the screaming. That said I will still choose the beatles because of their songwriting. Floyd and Zep are both amazing but the Beatles were a way of life that even changed the way people dressed.

17. Shirley Anderson profile image70
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

THE BEATLES, THE BEATLES, THE BEATLES!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, always, forever!

18. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Shine On great. I like a great many Floyd songs particulary 'Us and Them'.

19. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Yeah, but none of you are old enough to have seen the Beatles when they were "hot"

Still - my vote goes to Pink Floyd - Wish you were here, the album. Hmmmmmmm

1. DR ZOIDBURG ! profile image60
      DR ZOIDBURG !posted 15 years agoin reply to this

There is no disputing that PINK FLOYD THE BEST EVER BAND IN THE WORLD FACT!!!

seen them 2 times they even stayed in same hotel as me when i went to see them ..best money i ever,ever spent !! rather go see floyd live than win the lottery!!

enough said !!!

dark side of the moon (as amatter of fact its all dark)

live in pompa music video 1970s

best old recording -granny takes a trip and
      reversion of revolization (old)

20. profile image0
    Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years ago

The greatest band ever?

Sounds like the beatles to me.

My favorite bands, personally, are foo fighters, pearl jam, ratm, tool, and disturbed.  Those are my top five from best to least best.

The beatles are awesome though, highly talented and very very cool, even today.  I never really got floyd though, just not my type of music really.  They are not bad, I just don't "get" it.

21. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

And just to prove everything is connected, here is proof that pink floyd is the greatest band ever. big_smile

http://pursenickety.com/wp-content/uploads/pink-floyd-death-star.jpg

22. thebeatles profile image58
    thebeatlesposted 15 years ago

beatles are greatest of all time
    the beatles sre god of the universe

dep zeppeline  fuck you

1. profile image53
      tazulike88posted 12 years agoin reply to this

no .. no, i can't allow you ... led zep and the beatles are the greatest .. if you prefer one of them you can't go insulting zeppeling like this you friggin retarded asshole .... i love the beatles but you left me no chance ... Fuck You And Your Beatles you fuckin sick kid .... nuff' said

23. thebeatles profile image58

the beatles, the beatles, the beatles

24. thebeatles profile image58

pls watch the beatles live in  shea stadium......

25. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

beatles everyday!

white album

clapton on my guitar gently weeps

Savoy Truffle

dont pass me by

rocky raccoon

happiness is a warm gun

when im 64!

In my life

all of sgt peppers

your comparing them to who? no comparison possible

and the beatles most definitely had a rock period - why dont we do it in the road - ia almost suggestive of punk

beatles did everything first

26. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

i take all that back,

everybody knows that only Oasis was bigger than Jesus

27. hot writer profile image59
    hot writerposted 15 years ago

to me the beatles rock and im a hip hop fan when i first got on to the beatles i was amazed at how modern the sound was they were a different kinda band alot of the other bands were influenced by them even rappers they were ahead of there time they did what most musicians dont do now a days be themselves,either the music or the paul is dead rumors gets alot of fans attention

28. JamaGenee profile image77
    JamaGeneeposted 15 years ago

Much as I love LedZep, for "best" of the two in the original question, it's definitely the Beatles! cool

29. marisuewrites profile image58
    marisuewritesposted 15 years ago

Beatles, Look how they changed the rock and roll forever!  loved Led Z too, tho.

30. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

I would say the Beatles, they changed the way music is represented today.

31. ChrisSnil profile image60
    ChrisSnilposted 15 years ago

I'd have to say the Beatles, and that's not due to my location either (North West England) tongue

Saying that, I also like tracks by Led Zep -and- Floyd, I'm quite varied when it comes to music (well, unless it's cheesy pop big_smile)

32. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

Beatles weregreat and all, but Zepplin for sure.
    And I, too am a Floyd fan, but you can't forget the Who, now smile

33. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

The Stones are the best ever.

Out of your two choices, the Beatles.

34. Shirley Anderson profile image70
    Shirley Andersonposted 14 years ago

I haven't even read the postings in this thread, just saw the title and am jumping in the deep end of the pool:

THE BEATLES ARE THE BEST BAND EVER, ALWAYS HAVE BEEN, ALWAYS WILL BE!!!

35. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I would put a lot of groups ahead of Led Zepplin.  They had a lot of great tunes but they lacked harmony.  A single singer gets old after a while.  The Beatles were the breakthrough band; they have to be credited with changing rock and roll.  For the reason I guess they should be number one, but my favorite was always The Who.

36. Herald Daily profile image59
    Herald Dailyposted 14 years ago

Beatles, hands down!

37. compu-smart profile image88
    compu-smartposted 14 years ago

I can't stand either of them!!

1. Herald Daily profile image59
      Herald Dailyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*gasp!*Oooooo, wait'll Shirley reads this!

1. compu-smart profile image88
        compu-smartposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol,
        I WAS actually thinking of Shirley when i wrote that!!sowwy Shirley:D lol

38. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

I've got a whole lotta luv 4 the Zeppelin

39. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I love the oldies Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.smile

40. profile image49
    guru825posted 13 years ago

led zeppelin made more hard rock music.......
    so if this thread is purely on rock music then zepp beat beatles....
    led zepplin my fav will always be the best.........

41. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

They are both from different eras with different styles, I like to learn Zeppelin songs on the harmonica like 'bring it on home' and 'when the levee breaks'

42. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

nice revived thread! they're both tops. I'm a huge fan of both bands and love how Robert Plant has continued to evolve and write some amazing music. it's hard to even pick my favorite albums, but the White album and Abbey Road, Rubber Soul are all amazing.

Led Zeppelin's first, second and third are my favorites. their first definitely changed music at that time. I still listen to their music often. LZ were not exclusively hard rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUlmZ2PdxiE   ahhh.... classic!

43. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

'greatest' is a vague term... is it most influencial?  best to listen too?  most followed?

the band i personally like better is Zeppelin

44. J Kenwell profile image60
    J Kenwellposted 13 years ago

I never fully respected the Beatles by simply hearing them on the radio, and thinking the White Album was cool is high school.  However, after taking a college level course on the Beatles, and giving their musical career a fair chronological assessment, there became no question that they are the greatest band ever. 

They did it all, from romantic jingles, emotional ballads, harmonic vocals to fast paced rock thrillers with exemplifying instrumentals.  Some of their instrumentals were up front, but there are still so many subtle gems within their songs. As many of their songs were serious, they also inserted a sense of sarcasm and playful goofiness in a handful of their songs that is still relevant with bands today, especially any band that fancies themselves a jam band, Phish included.

However, the most important aspect of the Beatles, is their correspondence with the American culture at the time of their rise.  They came to America and won the hearts of the people, and grew with them, and lost their innocence with America as a whole.  By the end of their career, if you listen the majority of lyrics on their final two albums, and have somewhat of an insight to their demise as a group and eventual breakup, it is clear that they were undoubtably a real life reflection of the literary theme "You can't go home again."  As for America's it hit a point where it could "not go home again" with the Countercultural movement, Civil Rights, loss of trust in the Government from Vietnam, etc.

As for Led Zeppelin, they are good, but not the best.  They were perfectionists, which will a professionals work respectable in any field.  Most of their songs are enjoyable, and their instrumentals are nearly flawless.  However, they were not doing anything that truly put them over the edge, in terms of greatness.  In fact, if anything, I think that the biggest thing holding them back was the whininess in Robert Plants voice.  The repetitiveness of his oohs and ahhs, and "baby baby baby baaaaaaaaby" serves nothing more than filling a gap with a false sense of emotion. 

The Beatles were groundbreaking and influential in both their songs and recording techniques, and were innovative in personal style, such as the Srg. Pepper persona/outfits and the spontaneous Let it Be rooftop performance.  While the Beatles are the best band ever, Led Zeppelin should not even be the other band in question.

45. leeberttea profile image57
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

Led Zeppelin without question!

46. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I truly beg to differ. have you sat down and really listened to their music and lyrics?
    they were different from the Beatles in that they were not commercially made to start writing songs they didn't want to write. 

as far as influence on the mass, the Beatles, yes. but I think many musicians would have a different opinion on who is best of the best.

1. thirdmillenium profile image59
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, the best of the best is THE ROLLING STONES

2. J Kenwell profile image60
      J Kenwellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying the Beatles were commercially made to start writing songs that they didn't want to?  If so, that is far from true.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no, you misinterpreted me, or I didn't make myself clear enough. hmm sorry.
        I am a huge fan of the Beatles. what I mean is some of their music towards the end was more about recording and getting an album released, their hearts weren't in the group anymore. there was a lot of friction between producers, manager, band members themselves. finally, it was time to stop and move on. I once read a book about them where Lennon was speaking. I wish I could remember the name of it. It is amazing. Any Beatle fan would love it.

47. thirdmillenium profile image59
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Well, I wish this question were not posed. But all said and done, I think, it is the Beatles that has to win the title.

48. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

the TRUE number 1.....

http://www.thesunblog.com/frosting/kiss2.jpg

49. reagu profile image63
    reaguposted 13 years ago

It's the Beatles by a long shot.  And then everyone else. 

Ask for the 2nd best band.  You should have a nice debate over that one.  To me, it's U2.  But back in the 80s when I was growing up, it was Van Halen.

50. maheshpatwal profile image65
    maheshpatwalposted 13 years ago

Undoubtedly it is the Beatles........ During they heyday they were literally widely popular  all over world....... Even they had a huge fan following in non english speaking countries like Japan............ They Ruled The Seventies............

1. Sunny_S profile image60
      Sunny_Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yup i agree with you on that one

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)