The Flinstones are coming back

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

In recent news, Seth McFarlane the creator of such hit animated prime time shows like "Family Guy", "American Dad", and recently "The Cleveland Show."  Well now it seems he's going to be taking on his next challenge...resurrecting our beloved "Flinstone" cartoon back into prime time with his own take on the reboot.  Don't worry, he claims the show will still be featured back in the stone age, but whether or not the humor will be along the lines of "Family Guy"...that remains to be seen.  Anyways, what are you're thoughts on this? 

by the way, here's a link for more details, as there's supposed to be reboot live action film based on the new "Flinstone" cartoon series that Seth has in store for us.

http://www.savings.com/blog/post/Seth-M … tions.html

1. profile image55
      Maes Kyrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seth is amazing! I have high hopes that he will bring the old feel back in a fresh way.

2. jponiato profile image89
    jponiatoposted 13 years ago

Here's hoping the show isn't - as some have speculated - just a cleaner version of "Family Guy."

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope so too.  It would be kind of interesting if Stewie and Brian travel back in time to meet the flinstones, and maybe there can be a romance between Pebbles and Stewie.  Which would cause Bam Bam to want to beat up Stewie.  lollol  Now, that would be funny if you ask me.

1. jponiato profile image89
        jponiatoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah - I'd watch that one, for sure.

3. tlpoague profile image75
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

I never heard of this till reading your forum. I recently wrote a hub on Flinstone Village in South Dakota, think that the Flintstones were becoming a dying breed. I would be interested to see what the new cartoons would be like.

4. celebritie profile image70
    celebritieposted 13 years ago

Really this is good news, I can't wait. I love the Flinstones

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do we really need another Christian documentary of our ancient historical times?

1. profile image0

christian documentary?  have you ever even seen an episode of the flinstones?  it's a stone aged parody of the "Honey Mooners" if you ever watched the show.  Of course unlike the Honey mooners, the flinstones did eventually have children too.

"One of these days, Alice... To the moon!"

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

I fine the cartoon of today have better metaphors.

Some like the idea of man co existing with dinosaurs, yet truth is funnier than fiction

1. profile image0

Well to be fair, metaphors are highly subjective, as not everyone is going interpret things the same exact way. 

Secondly, you have to remember cartoons were a lot more simplistic back then, so of course the metaphors will be too.  Unless you want to bring in adult cartoons, which is a completely different story altogether.  However, if you honestly looked some of the earlier prime time cartoons, you can clearly see they were straight rip offs of live action shows when you break them down to their simplest context.  "The Flinstones" is obviously a rip off of the "Honey Mooners."  "Top Cat" is a rip off of "Hogan Heroes", and "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home" is a light rip off "Archie Bunker" for pete's sakes.  Therefore, you do have a point there about today's metaphors in cartoons, as I'm not disagreeing with you on that end.

However,they're still a part of American pop culture to this day that helped shaped the cultural identity of this country.  Sure, you may not think so, but I dare you to find one person who won't know the theme to the Flinstones that lives in America, as I guarantee that 99 out of 100 will know that theme song quite well.  Hell, there's people who probably never even seen the show that know the theme song, as that should tell you how culturally significant they are to pop culture.  Sorry, I tend to talk a lot once i get going in a train of thought as you can tell.  lollol I hope i didn't bore you to death.  lol

Edit:  Besides, you have to remember when analyzing any form of entertainment medium, you have factor in the creators intent.  Believe it or not when it comes to TV shows and movies, not all directors and writers are interested in creating colorful great stories.  Sad but it's the truth.  Why do you think Michael Bay still making movies?  No, some just simply produce a product out of sheer entertainment and commercial value.  The early Flinstone episodes were obviously derived for mainly entertainment purposes, with very little meaning at all.  Whereas the later episodes did try to incorporate some metaphors about family values, after Pebbles and Bam Bam were introduced that is.  However, as I said earlier, it's subjective at best.

Today's animators of course are so obsessed with pushing the envelope that of course you're going to see deeper and more meaningful metaphors than you see in earlier cartoons.  In early cartoons like the flinstones, the intent was obviously just made for entertainment.  not to promote christian values.  sure you can debate the later episodes are like that with pebbles and bam bam since they do incorporate family value metaphors.  however, even that might be subjective.

Not so much subjective, about half of Americans believe the earth is only 10,000 years old.

Maybe it can sell.

1. profile image0

Yeah.....I was referring to the metaphors in the flinstones in which you speak of.  I wasn't talking about anything else.  However, i have a feeling you're talking about something else entirely now....but that's okay.  as i said before, everyone interprets a show/movie differently.

2. jponiato profile image89

I'd like to see the source for that specific statistic.

About 85% Christian in the USA, they would not lie at about genesis, would they?

There are lies, and then there are mis-interpretations, problems with translating texts written thousands of years ago in dead languages, and centuries of doctrine *not* all founded in scripture that muddies the waters.

Christ's teachings were all about charity, love, tolerance, and forgiveness.  I'm all for that.  I don't believe the world was created a mere 10,000 years ago.

Aside from the fact that the majority of the American population claims a Christian belief system, do you have any other basis for your assertion?

3. profile image0

I didn't say that the number of Christians is subjective. I said that symbolisms and metaphors are subjective.

5. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

This one I am really "iffy" on.
    I think I will adopt a wait and see attitude.
    I do feel thought that it will either be a huge smash, or fail miserably.
    Yeah I know that's hedging my bets.

6. I am DB Cooper profile image83
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

Sweet! Does this mean Fred Flintstone will start doing cigarette commercials again?

Kids today, prefer marijuana over cigarettes
      I’m sure it grew back then,  10.000 years ago and it’s much healthier for you than cigarettes.

7. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

all always tell the truth about my sega genisis smile.
    I like seth but hes gunna mess up the flintstones hes gunna kill there holsome image.

I forget about the simply minded

The raptors were like doggy pets in Bed Rock ,
      And then T-Rex and his meat eating friends ate their vegetables everyday and their flint stone vitamins wail sailing on the Arc.
      And then hunting season started and the big ones had to go

It all makes perfect sense to me, now

8. Madeline Perry profile image59
    Madeline Perryposted 13 years ago

I loved the Flinstones!!!! We have pay tv and both of my teenage children also love watching these re-runs. In fact, my kids would rather watch cartoons from when I was a kid. Cartoons back them were simple, clean humor without all the violence of the current ones.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone ought to muck with The Flintstones.  I always hate re-markes, updatings, and new versions/copies of originals.  If someone wants to make a new cave-people cartoon show, give them different names, and let them be something original - great.   smile

Not long ago on youtube, I ran into a couple of old TV commercials, for Winston "unmentionables" (just trying to be careful about HP and Google TOS here).  The Flintstones and Rubbles star in those commercials.  It's so funny.   lol  They don't make cartoons (or commercials) like that any more.   smile

About 40 years ago I started out as an animator, been doing other professional Arts/Entertainment works for 36 years now. The Flintstones was kind of a setback for finer artist in animations and a setback for the animation business. Much the same way with Andy Warhol with his Pop Art in the area of Fine Art. Then the art form of animation slowly came back to life with stronger interest for professional and general public, I had move on to other art areas by then.
        I do agree in entertainment field in general there is too much sex and violence

1. profile image0

Again, that's very subjective, as it depends on how you look at things.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you know a lot about what goes into animation a lot more than most people in this forum.  Therefore, I mean no disrespect to you.  However, it doesn't make you an expert in the history of pop culture, or entertainment history. 

I can see what you're saying.  As I stated earlier, "The Flinstones" aren't that original in terms of story content, so I can see you're point there as many of today's prime time cartoons have evolved become more original over the years.  This is because animators are being given a lot more freedom to push the envelope creatively.  Whereas back then, you have to keep in mind that animators weren't necessarily pushing the envelope as much, as they were more concerned with marketing a product towards family audiences.

However, I would like to point out though that "The Flinstones" was proven to be most successful prime time animated TV series for years until "The Simpsons" came along.  That in itself shows how much of an impact that "The Flintstones" have had on American pop culture, as it's still considered the gold standard of quality entertainment, and it paved the way for many of today's prime tv cartoons to be successful.  Who's to say we still would've had a "Simpsons" show?  Or would we even still have "Family Guy", "American Dad", "South Park" and others if it had not been for the success of the "Flinstones" showing how marketable and successful a prime time cartoon could be? 

Granted, I can't prove that these shows would've existed anyway, but it's still worth noting.  Besides, you can utter the theme song to the original show, and even people that never even seen it would know what you're talking about.  I don't care who you are, but that should definitely speak volumes for how ingrained the show is in terms of pop culture to have that kind of effect.

9. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Awww, man!  Why mess with the Flintstones?  I can accept resurrecting the show, but putting a new spin on it?  Nope.  If they want to do a new spin on an old idea, then why not create something entirely new?

1. profile image0

I agree.  Although I'll probably still watch a few episodes to see if it's any good, I doubt it'll be as great as the original series.  Then again, I've been wrong before on this, as Seth is proven to be a very funny guy when it comes to coming up with cartoon shows.

1. Rafini profile image81
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dunno, I don't like Family Guy or American Dad....  But I agree with you, I'll probably check out a few episodes to see what it's like.  I've already had to deal with new voices, lol, so that wont really be an issue.  Unless they're too far off course.  lol

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

Let the Flintstones and old Dino lay, or I like Refine idea of something new
        How about the     Facts of man or Wok with Man
        From the creator of Yahweh and Jesus magic.
        Sponsor by Creation Museum of science facts meet the Bible

Step into the prehistoric and biblical times, about evolutionary humanism on earth began some 4,400 years ago in Genesis. Where the world, humans coexisted with dinosaurs a time when the Earth was flat and all of its life form was created an over six-day period and Dinosaurs were every day pets in our backyards

The dinosaurs that were in the Noah’s Ark along with the likes of T-Rex and all the other animal on the Ark were vegetarians until the boat returned back on land, That way, Vegetarian lions can share with Zebras from the same fed bucket. The polar bears end up in the Arctic and all the penguins in the Antartic? Then the carnivores drop their carrots and lettuce and return back to eating meat,

Where fire breathing Dragons can kill a .Dinosaur in one breath.
        Where massive floods were recorded as far back as 3200 BC dynastic tablets.

Then red dragon returns to start the beginning of the end on Judgment day. Yes, a real funny cartoon, maybe not so ha ha

1. profile image0

You know, I love how you're trying to turn a discussion about a cartoon show into some form of religion bashing.  wink roll  lollollol  Oh, and that's not a compliment by the way, as I'm being very sarcastic when I say that, as I think it's classless for a man like yourself to turn a harmless discussion over a show into an excuse to bash a group of people for their beliefs.

Edit:  By the way, you still haven't provided any concrete evidence to prove that "The Flinstones" is made out to be a alleged Christian documentary, as you claim it is. wink

I’m not against anyone; my point is truth is funnier than fiction. On the base that most people do not believe man co existed with dinosaur, its egg headed to believe so.  There is a branch of science to everything and science with show the Flintstone had their hay day of brainwashed audiences where today we have become wiser."

1. profile image0

No offense, but where exactly are you getting your statistics from?  As every Christian that I've ever spoken to has never believed nor claimed that Dinosaurs and Humans inhabited the Earth at the same time.  Therefore, I find your statements hard to believe.  Do you have an actual link or a name of the source that you're referring to?

2. profile image0

Brainwash?  Gee, you sound almost as bad as those parents that whined and b***** that Looney Tunes de-sensitizes kids to violence.  Or perhaps you'll agree with many Christian parents that have tried to get the "Harry Potter" franchise banned since they claim it promotes Wiccan religion down their throats subconsciously.  roll lollol

I can understand many truths in Harry Potter fantasy
                Wiccan is base on nature

By Christian trying to ban Harry Potter, they are only promoting it greater

Who will stand behind the truth behind the Flintstones?
                The Creation Museum

1. profile image0

(sighs) Again, you fail to understand that metaphors in entertainment mediums is subjective, and can be interpreted in several ways, so I really don't know what else to tell you, as I'm starting to wonder if you even know what you're talking about.  After all, you did just call the show a documentary, which is glaringly wrong on you're part.  Do you even know what a documentary is?  Seriously?  I should hope so for someone that's boasting about being in the entertainment industry for over 30 years; which does not make you an expert by the way in how to analyze a cartoon.  All it means is that you know how to make a cartoon and what goes into the production, but it doesn't make you an expert on this, nor right in any of your assessments.  take Michael Bay, i'm sure he knows a lot more than most people about the process that goes into a movie, but I would hardly call him an expert in analyzing films since most of his movies are crap..would you? 

Look, I mean no disrespect to you as you definitely seem to have a lot to say on this subject, and I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share you're thoughts with us, as I always enjoy reading other people's interpretations of entertainment mediums.  However, you really need to realize that metaphors in movies, books or whatever is highly subjective at best.  And unless you can cite exact quotes and sources supporting your claim from the original creators, animators, story board artists themselves that worked on the show, and said specifically that the show is a means of promoting Christian historical beliefs, then you really don't have a case.  I'm sorry, but that's just reality. 

Anyways, I do respect you're opinion, and I do agree with you that by the parents trying to ban the "Harry Potter" films, all it really does is give the franchise that much more publicity and popularity.  On that note, I think we can both agree on that.

I know enough in the entertainment business that you are only as good as your last job. The FlintStones is as old as dinosaur crap, My senses and experience tell me if the Flintstones dose become a hit, it will quickly die, due to a lack of a fresh and sound idea in the begining

10. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 13 years ago

Remaking a tv series, or even a movie, is a failure most of the time.  This is a risky move by Seth M.  I'm interested to see how this turns out.  I use to watch The Flintstones and loved it.

Hope is like a Christmas Tree-Flintstones Christmas song
      on Youtube

11. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

He's already modernized the Flinstones with Family Guy (which we might argue really only modernized the Simpsons).

I love Seth, he's great. He sees "it" for this particular moment in time.

His challenge is going to be keeping true to that character, the REAL Fred, the REAL Barney etc., rather than putting Peter's voice into their avatars.

Not sure he can do it, because all his stuff is really the same. I laugh at it all, but his range seems to begin to define itself. (When he showed up on Comedy Central Roasts, I sort of knew he peaked. Hope I'm wrong).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)