jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Pop icons to respect country's culture

1. silverstararrow profile image83
    silverstararrowposted 5 years ago

Not just pop, but all artists invited to perform abroad (a country other than their homeland). There are so many societal and cultural norms to be followed by an international celebrity when they happen to perform in a country other than their own. Is it morally correct to enforce not-so-subtle rules and warnings that stage performers need to follow whilst delivering a live performance on stage? Isn't flamboyance part and parcel of being a celebrity? Or should they tamp down their usual mannerism to please (not offend/hurt) the audience?

1. twosheds1 profile image61
      twosheds1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ideally, they should strike a balance between their artistic expression and the social norms of the society in which they are performing. That said, those artists who are actually concerned about artistic expression probably don't do much that would offend other cultures, and those whose acts might be offensive (e.g., Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj) probably aren't too concerned about their integrity.

Then there is the issue of which countries would be offended, and would western artists even play there? I don't think Lady Gaga would ever perform in Saudi Arabia (I don't think they'd let her off the plane), or Uzbekistan, or any place where the religious fanatics control the media.

And personally, I wouldn't care one whit about offending religious fanatics anywhere. Did you have a specific performer or place in mind?

1. silverstararrow profile image83
        silverstararrowposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you twoshed1, about performers striking a balance. But how can they be certain of it if they aren't quite aware of the country's culture or society?

I read a recent news article about Katy Perry making a few adjustments in her costumes for the inaugral function of IPL (Indian Premier League) T20 cricket 2012. There has also been hype about Lady Gaga's outrageous choice of clothing and hairstyle that many music lovers in Asia do not prefer, on the grounds of culture and decorum.

I do believe that the signature style of each artist is a part of his/her performance and should not be cause for offence.

1. twosheds1 profile image61
          twosheds1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I suppose their managers, publicists, stylists, and the army of others that attend such performers would be the ones who would do the research on the norms of the society where a performance was going to occur, but I'm sure a bit of common sense comes in play, too. For example, Katy Perry probably wouldn't have her ice cream cone boobs outfit on if she were going to perform for Queen Elizabeth. The flipside is that if you're going to see a performer like that, you should know what to expect, and that very outrageousness is part of their appeal.

working