- Family and Parenting»
Kids Bed Wetting Problem
Bed wetting is a problem commonly found in children, boys at major. It not only embarrasses the child but is a source of stress for parents as well. Nocturnal Enuresis is another term used for bed wetting. Not only children but some teenagers, even adults suffer from this problem too.
How Can Bed Wetting Be Defined?
Bed wetting or nocturnal enuresis is unintentional urination amongst children, while they sleep, who are expected to have control over their bladders.
Girls mostly control themselves dry by the age of 6 and boys by the age of 7. However, the problem can exceed to the age of 10 years. Bed wetting is mainly caused due to developmental delay not due to psychological illness.
Bed Wetting Or Nocturnal Enuresis Classification
- Primary Enuresis- this defines that the child has never been dry from his birth.
- Secondary Enuresis- in this the child had a pause of 6 months before having the problem of bed-wetting again.
Mostly children over come bed-wetting, as they grow older, typically by the age of 5. But if the problem persists beyond this age limit there might be some problem with the child then. Now it’s a solicitous moment for parents whether the child commonly bed-wets or does rarely on purpose. Scolding the child may not be helpful in that case.
Why Do Children Wet Their Bed?
No significant reasons are found for bed-wetting by children. But still some common reasons can be stated as:
- Children have small bladders which fill up very quickly.
- Some children take long time to develop the ability to control their bladders.
- The child has a family history for bed-wetting.
- Deep sleep may cause unintentional emptying of bladder.
- The child is stressed or having bad dreams.
- The child is suffering from disorder in sleep.
- Anxiety or excitement may also be a cause of bed-wetting.
- Some kids can’t produce enough anti-diuretic hormones, which controls the kidneys to release less water.
- Diabetes, chronic constipation and urinary tract infection and some such medical conditions can also be reason for that.
- Cerebral palsy and spine bifida may be a reason of bed-wetting.
Bed Wetting Solutions
Bed Wetting Alarms
A good solution to this problem may be bed-wetting alarms. These alarms come in various forms such as wearable alarms which have moisture sensor that start to ring when the child starts urinating.
Identify Sleep Disorder
Bed wetting is also caused by sleep disorders. Irregular breath patterns caused by any difficulty between mouth and nose are one of the main causes of sleep disorder. Restless sleep, the other symptom of sleep apnea, is caused by open mouth breathing also. To treat sleep apnea full face masks are available.
Treating Urinary Infections
These infections are related to bed-wetting and can be treated through antibiotics and other treatments that are essential.
Blocking Psychological Blocks
Discrimination at school and among friends creates a fear in the child's mind. Wetting of bed is caused by psychological fear which is also a cause of psychological disorders.
Don’t Let The Child Feel Embarrassed
Do not make the bedwetting a big issue in the family. Family support and positive attitude will help in it as the child himself feels embarrassed about bed-wetting. This only makes the problem shoddier.
How Children Developing Bladder Control?
Humans are not born with control over their bladder this is something which is developed with age. Babies automatically empty their bladders when they are filled but with time children gradually learn to recognize when their bladder is full and to control it.
Mostly children start controlling, in the day time when they are of 3 years, and in the night when they start going to school.
Steps That May Help
- Avoid late night drinks especially near bedtime.
- Make it a habit to urinate before going to bed.
- May have to wake the child to urinate in the middle of night.
- Positive reinforcement whenever a child remains dry.
- Professional medical help would be needed if problem continues.
Some Good News
The good news is that almost all children who wet the bed eventually stop doing so. A child should not be discouraged or embarrassed for wetting the bed every night.
Most probably bed wetting goes away on its own. Every year around 15 out of 100 kids stop wetting the bed without any treatment.
More About Children
- Child Safety Tips
Finally the search for your new home is now complete; you have found the perfect home for you and your family. The state agent gives you a call to finalize some paper work, the payment is made and keys of...
- How To Prepare Children For School
The first day of school for a kid is a big deal. This will be the first time for some children that they are separated from their mothers for many hours in a day. Your kid might not know any children in...
- How To Teach Kids
There is a problem found almost every where that for teaching old typical methods had been used till last few years. Yet we have many countries where old traditional methods are used in education system. ...
- Digital Cameras For Kids And Kids Photography
Are you thinking of innovating your child to the world of digital camera or photography? There are some things to consider when shopping for digital cameras for your kids. Not the least of which is...