jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why don't people proof-read their writings?

1. MACACH profile image75
    MACACHposted 8 years ago

Why don't people proof-read their writings?

Posts and Hubs are harder to read when they aren't proof-read and have LOTS of simple spelling and gramatical errors. Mine are not perfect either but I atleast take a few moments to try to make it presentable. Am I the only one with this pet peeve?

2. Philip Bradbury profile image57
    Philip Bradburyposted 8 years ago

Maybe their just lazee nd canot be botherd checkig there work ... or maybee theyze just dum or summit. smile

3. Jo Woodward profile image59
    Jo Woodwardposted 8 years ago

NO you aren't the only one it drives up the wall.
    I'm never sure if it is ignorance, laziness or a combination of the two that means many people seem incapable of constructing or proof reading simple sentences and paragraphs.
    Sorry but it is a personal bugbear of mine.
    Have you read 'Eat, Shoots and Leaves' by Lynn Truss?
    (Profile Books, isbn 1-86197-612-7)
    It was written with you and I in mind.

4. Roffi Grandiosa profile image58
    Roffi Grandiosaposted 8 years ago

Sometimes were just too lazy to do that.

5. mayhmong profile image66
    mayhmongposted 8 years ago

Believe it or not, not a a lot of folks know how to proofread. They struggle to write a complete sentence and ask for personal assistance sometimes. Or like everyone else saids, they could be lazy since they know that they are not getting graded for it.

6. Thamisgith profile image78
    Thamisgithposted 8 years ago

You know what - it's easy to make mistakes. Sometimes you can go over and over your own writing and still not see them.

And I quote:

"but I atleast take a few moments "

- no criticism intended - but it's an apt demonstration of how easy it is to let your mind get ahead of your fingers.

Personally, when I see errors, I try to assume that they're typos rather than anything else. And we all make them.

7. MACACH profile image75
    MACACHposted 8 years ago

To Thamisgith: I am  no perfectionist and even stated that I make mistakes. That is not what I am talking about. My question is aimed at writers who have multiple grammar and spelling mistakes. My point is that it is distracting to me when there is no apparent effort to check  over our own writings.I am not the best typist and many times my fingers are on the wrong keys. If I didn't check my typing, you would be reading gibberish. We all make mistakes but we can take a moment or two to make it more presentable. After all, our writings are out in blogland for all to see. I believe it is worth the effort.

8. anisetta profile image53
    anisettaposted 8 years ago

I make mistakes over and over again, but it is not because I do not proof read my writings. Actually I read my writings many times before I ask someone else to proof read them for me. I am always surprised to see all the mistakes someone else finds. I am not sure what happens, why I can read my writings over and over and do not be able to find my mistakes.

9. bayareagreatthing profile image65
    bayareagreatthingposted 7 years ago

Here is something really sad--I bought the new 2010 Writer's Market and it is FULL of errors. Misuse of words, spelling, missing words--the list goes on. I was shocked that a professional writing book was so unprofessionally edited. The trend seems to be spreading.

working