jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Reasons why step parents are portrayed so negatively in literature, films, etc.

1. LowellWriter profile image78
    LowellWriterposted 8 years ago

Reasons why step parents are portrayed so negatively in literature, films, etc.

2. TheMountainMan profile image61
    TheMountainManposted 8 years ago

I would assume because most times the author of the literature, films, etc is the step son or daughter who has had their parent replaced by a stranger, who no matter how nice or sweet is initially seen in a negative light.

3. bayareagreatthing profile image68
    bayareagreatthingposted 8 years ago

I think the main reason is the way a good story is designed.  There are the good guys and the bad guys-- there is the conflict and the resolution. It makes for a better story (thanks to Cinderella) Someone has to be the bad guy.

Being a step parent myself- I know how much I have poured into my step children and still will never have the place in their heart that I wish I could.  It is wonderful to be "mom"- it is hard to be called  "my dad's wife" after 20-plus-years of caring for them while their "real" mom was too busy with drugs, parties, and other distractions.  You have to love them.

Oh well- what do you do? I say write new stories  smile

4. DonnyBoy profile image57
    DonnyBoyposted 8 years ago

I'm a step parent too...
    My boys love me and I can also be a kid like them sometimes I think that's why we get along so well.
    One day they will know what an important role I am in their lives, but right now at younger ages I can be often seen as bossy or not the easiest on them to get stuff done but I do love them and they me. Just a story idea that progressed routinely in movies and stories I'd say.

working