jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is there such a thing as a non sad way to tell your child about the lost of a gr

1. Kidslovemail2 profile image52
    Kidslovemail2posted 7 years ago

Is there such a thing as a non sad way to tell your child about the lost of a grandparent?

I usually send cheery letters to my subscribers but have been asked to include a recent lost in the family on my next mail out. How exactly do I mention this with out it being sad?

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I suppose it depends on the age of the child...it seems like the younger a kid is the easier they take "Grandma went to heaven" or something similar that jibes with whatever belief system, or lack thereof, that they're taught. As they get a bit older (from my own experience I'd say about 5+) and have had the chance to really get to know their grandparents it gets much harder, and there may just be no cheery way to break the news.

3. profile image54
    tryoneposted 7 years ago

Draw on the good memories that they left behind in a sesame street feeling way. Laughter about the love they had for that grand child to remember them by ,as they, now head off to be an angel or the Lord.

4. zduckman profile image61
    zduckmanposted 7 years ago

It is part of life, and I do not agree with the "grandpa went to heaven" approach. This is part of life. We in the U.S. do not deal with death well. It is not something to be avoided, ignored, or feared. It is a normal part of life, just as birth and should be treated as such.

working