jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

my son is the only 2 year old in a mixed daycare group. The other children rang

1. profile image43
    bethmomposted 7 years ago

my son is the only 2 year old in a mixed daycare group.  The other children range from 3-5 years...

old.  I worry about the socializing aspect.  He seems to play alone a fair bit.  Is this a concern

2. M.s Fowler profile image40
    M.s Fowlerposted 7 years ago

It sounds like you should put him in a daycare with mostly 2 year olds or maybe he's just shy!

3. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Because of his level of development, he's still doing a lot of exploring on his own and is more likely to play alongside other kids, rather than with them. Give him a few months and he'll probably be more willing and likely to mingle with the other kids as he gets to the age where he wants to participate in interactive play with other kids. One thing I noticed about having my own son around kids that were a little bit older is that it pushed him to try to do more, advance faster, and speak more clearly than when he was around kids his own age or younger. Significantly older kids could frustrate him when he doesn't even have a chance of keeping up, but 3- and 4-year-olds are probably about right for him.

4. MadelynFinley profile image58
    MadelynFinleyposted 7 years ago

I would be uncomfortable with this. Is it possible to have him with his own age group? The skill levels are so different between a 2 and 5 year old.

5. beth811 profile image80
    beth811posted 7 years ago

Your 2-year old son will later adjust to his new environment especially if he develops close relationships with some of the kids. I think it's better to have him mixed with the little bit older kids for his advancement.

If his socializing problem still persists, try putting him in a daycare with mostly 2-year olds or put him in your relative's house where there are children too ( maybe he's comfortable playing with his cousins).