jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What Is The Polite Way Of Telling My Mother-In-Law That Her 3 Weeks' Visit To My

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

What Is The Polite Way Of Telling My Mother-In-Law That Her 3 Weeks' Visit To My Family Is Too Long?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

You tell her that her visit is too long.

3. swapna123 profile image63
    swapna123posted 7 years ago

If you are asking this question, ur relation with her is obviously not great. As your husband's mother, she considers ur hubby and children to be 'her family' and not just 'yours' !

How often does she visit you ? If it's too often, it's time to tell your husband how you feel and let him  talk to his mother.  You guys would have to clearly tell her that you want a little more privacy at home and would appreciate shorter visit . It's not really possible to convey the message without her feeling bad about it.

If you don't want to talk to her like that, maybe you can remind her that leaving her house for such a long time may make it easy for thieves to get away with any valuables that she has .. Or tell her that you guys are going on a vacation and have already booked your tickets !

4. Kathleen Staley profile image58
    Kathleen Staleyposted 7 years ago

Oh..no, no, no! You don't! Your husband does.
    But, in the end, isn't it better to make the best of the situation and preserve your quality of time with your husband (I'm guessing that since you're the one asking the question, that he's o.k. with the visit), and try to find something positive to focus on during the visit? In-law relationships are tough, but upset in your relationship is tougher. And we all know that if mamma's not happy, no one is happy.
    Good Luck!

5. earny123 profile image74
    earny123posted 7 years ago

Honesty is the key smile
    Hope this helps, Visit my profile if you would like to see a variety of Hubs .
    Thanks Liam and Hannah