I recently read in a scholarly journal that babies are born without a sense of..

1. ecoggins profile image92
    ecogginsposted 7 years ago

I recently read in a scholarly journal that babies are born without a sense of...

self-consciousness and that their behaviors are learned rather than innate. What do you think? When babies exit the womb do they have self-consciousness or not?

2. Polly C profile image95
    Polly Cposted 7 years ago

Yes, that is true - when babies are born they do not realise that they are separate from the world around them, so you could say that they are not self-conscious.  This awareness develops at around the age of nine months, which is also a time when many babies can become clingy.  They begin to develop their own sense of identity, which they never had before. This further develops as they become older, which is why children who never seemed shy before often become so.

I am a parent of 2, so have read many parenting books, but actually learned this years ago when I began a degree studying psychology (though didn't finish!).  Having said that, I'm not sure if the behaviour is learned - I suppose that is the old question of personality v environment. I do know that this is something that is a part of a child's natural brain development, but like everything is probably also influenced by immediate surroundings as well.

3. ecoggins profile image92
    ecogginsposted 7 years ago

Polly C, Thank you for your post and answer. I have five children and was very much involved with them from birth. So, when a baby cries because they are hungry or tired or messed in their diaper is that just instinct or what?

working