My stepson is 7 years old and he has lived with us for almost a year, (he came f

1. profile image51
    lady222posted 7 years ago

My stepson is 7 years old and he has lived with us for almost a year, (he came from Africa). He...

is textbook for ADHD, doesn't sit still in class, doesn't raise his hand, always talking, always hyper, always forgetting things . I brought him to a therapist who saw this and said they were going to start him on some medication, just to calm him a little so he can concentrate in school and not disrupt class. My husband doesn't think there is anything wrong with him and doesn't want him on meds. I'm being told its cultural, but he did this back there too. Does anyone know how long this will last if its cultural? My other 2 boys have ADHD and ADD and he's worse than both of them. Please Help!

2. suzane0beyonce profile image53
    suzane0beyonceposted 7 years ago

I understand your problem...i think you should take care of him..give him an appropriate environment where he understand various things..ask him to make as many friends..give him a lot of playtime..don't be get angry on his mistakes..teach him the difference between write and wrong..always encourage him..appreciate his all work..by doing this you can find some improvement in your child..give your love and affection to him..i think he desperately want your love..

3. SimpleGiftsofLove profile image81
    SimpleGiftsofLoveposted 6 years ago

I personally am tired of the labeling that is rampant, and the corresponding medication that psychologists seem bent on giving children because parents won't be patient with their children.  Give the kid a break, what an adjustment that must be, people play more in other cultures, he won't be adjusted until he feels accepted.  Just like all of us.  This world is pathetic, if you are different from the norm (which doesn't exist) you need medication.  Ugggggh.  Instead of fixing him, read books and take some classes on parenting.  It is not an easy simple endeavor, yet millions are doing it successfully.

working