Should you apologize if a friendship is at risk, even when its 100% not your fau

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. abbykorinnelee profile image51
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

Should you apologize if a friendship is at risk, even when its 100% not your fault?

When should you grin and bear it and say sorry to someone that you have a history with of many years of friendship, but that you were the one that was right and they were not, and they yelled that you were the reason that the friendship was in danger of being lost.  When do you say your sorry to save something and when do you put your foot down and say they are wrong and need to fix it or not, but either way they needed to say sorry.  Is it okay to say sorry when you don't mean it?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7391192_f260.jpg

2. karthikkash profile image83
    karthikkashposted 11 years ago

I believe that it is alright to apologize a couple of times when you feel that it will bring peace to the situation. Yes, you may have to even introspect whether what you did triggered the situation. If yes, it does make sense to apologize. Otherwise, after introspection, if you feel that you are clean and were really innocent, then I think it is time to put down the foot and stop apologizing for what you didn't do. From my experience, friendship must be based on honesty and trust. If you feel that you are apologizing endlessly and the other person has no remorse for what he/she did, then it is time to check if that is the person you want as a friend.

abbykorinneleeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, I think if you backdpwn in this scenario, and if its that clear that you are right and he is wrong he knows it too, that its saying he can get away with the behavior again.  If they don't accept their wrong they won't  apologzie

3. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

You can say, "I'm sorry we've had to disagree. Let's put it behind us because you mean too much to me." The point is, is this person worth sticking around with? Was this confrontation worth risking your friendship? If it was something serious and you truly were in the right and the other in the wrong yet he/she sees only what they want, it could be a signal that the person is really not what you had thought up to now.
    Let me tell you about my friend: I had been going through a strange period in which my entire personality had changed for the worst and the only person who had noticed was my sister (lives in another city and sees me only on holidays). My friend was supportive and listened to me but did not have the strength to tell me that there was something wrong with me. I was going through the side-effects of some medication I was taking and hadn't realised/couldn't realise it. After two years on this medication I started having obsessions and felt people were out to get me. My friend was there but not really there. We're still friends but have grown a little apart.
    Why? I realised that she was there either to get what she needed (psychological support) or cared too much about not falling out rather than being truthful.

The thing is there was no reason for it and it was one-sided and made no sense!  AND the person tried to say sorry whatever you thought I said I will be careful and think about what how it will come across.  Truth is they still don't know what happen

2. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cont. from below: the man seems to have his own problems; if he was a true friend he'd listen and try to work it out. Everyone deserves a second chance. Help her realize she deserves good people in her life. Her problems stem from her childhood.

3. abbykorinnelee profile image51

I told her to step back and tell the truth and be rational when she said what she has to but not to apologize because whatever it was it wasn't her fault.  I told her that he needs to see what his behvaior changes have done and he will get help

4. abbykorinnelee profile image51
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

The arguement was because the guy friend was supposed to come visit.  They were friends for fifteen years and he was bring his godson back and they were going to try to have one day to hang out since it had been many years.  Once in the last year they saw each other.  She had several friends out of state say they were visting and they never showed up.  She has been alone battling aftermath of an abusive relatinship and the same issue with medication you stated.  It actually induced personality changes that she is trying hard to get over and be herself again.  She was noticing one med wasn't doing what it was supposed to anymore and stopped taking it cuz it made her sick.  She has been on edge now that she is off of it controlling her emotions so when he said he had to try for another time she almost started crying and he noticed and she tried to explain it but he assumed that when she said she felt abandoned he was why and then when she thought he understood he misread a text that was just a joke and went off.  Said everything he could and would hurt her as he pushed certain buttons he  knew she had.  Thing is they have never fought and never hurt the other lke that.  She was even told that because of this one fight that he their friendhsip was up in the air.  Now he snaps at her or just ignores her.  She didn't do anything as the conversation was read by two neurtral parties to help her and she's devastated.  Diving into a depression she has been struggling to stay out of.  She doesn't know what to do because he has been the only one in her life to be there no matter what and now she feels because she is messed up because of abuse that its her fault and she isn't worth anything anymore.  He is on meds to so its not like he could be off too and doesn't realize anythig but he wont talk to her and she wants advice

1. profile image0

My dearest friend, I read what you've written very carefully and I have only this to say: when someone truly cares about someone else he/she is forgiving and goes on. She should get professional psychological help in addition to med.

2. abbykorinnelee profile image51

She was on meds and went off for side effect, getting new ones soon.  I see a therapist myself, I told her it might help her so she doesn't follow a pattern and a cycle of her own and she has to think o hersel too.  I told her to let him figure it ou

3. profile image0

ALL MY BEST TO HER AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU HERE!

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

If all it took was (one) misunderstanding text to put a friendship in jeopardy then it was probably on it's last legs.
    A few days ago I asked the question: Have you ever written LOL (without really lauging out loud)? One person stated she uses lol or a smile face sometimes just to let the person know what she said was not intended to hurt or be mean spirited. Who knows, maybe if your friend had used :-) or lol with her text then maybe her friend would not have gone off on her. (However thats water under the bridge now.)
    When it comes to relationships and friendships I'm a big fan of (mutual desire). I never try to "force" an outcome. I realize I can't control the other person. Therefore if they don't want to be involved with me I simply (move on). I understand this friendship lasted for many years but I suspect it has also had it's share of "drama" in the past. One of the dangers of not having a significant other, multiple close friends, family members, or co-workers is it limits your (emotional security tent). Your world should not fall apart simply because one person out of 7 Billion people on the planet doesn't want be around you.
    abbykorinnelee, she has you for a friend. Shouldn't that count for something! It's too bad that most of us focus on what is "missing" instead of (our blessings). We could have 99 people praising us and we'll dwell on 1 person that caused us pain instead of being grateful about the 99! I suspect your friend's health would improve if she decided to just let this friendship go. Stop stressing and worrying about something she can't control.
    "'Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.' - Corrie Ten Boom

It is funny you mention the lol...she said that she forgot to put lol

6. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

If someone is doing the 'scorched earth' tactic with you as a 'friend' then it's a power play. Manipulative frenemies?

I think that could be possible because of change in dynamics, do you think its possible that after years of friendship that a change like that could be possible without her being aware of it?

7. Byonder5 profile image60
    Byonder5posted 11 years ago

Yes, that's what friends are . At other times give em hell as that's also what friends are for.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)