jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you feel that children should be sheltered from unhappiness?

1. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 7 years ago

Do you feel that children should be sheltered from unhappiness?

2. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

not in the least. happiness and unhappiness are a fact of life and children should realise this. that's not to say that you should promote them towards unhappiness but sheltering them from the occurences in life will only make it more difficult to deal with later.

3. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 7 years ago

I don't think so.  I've found that parents try so hard to shelter their children now that kids can't adapt to difficult situations at all.  You have to be unhappy every now and then in order to strive for happiness.

4. Bianu profile image59
    Bianuposted 7 years ago

Most definitely not! Balancing your life means finding your way through god and bad times. No one is ever too young to learn that. However unhappiness such as hunger and deprivation are not essential parts of child up bringing

5. Mekenzie profile image83
    Mekenzieposted 6 years ago

Life is full of ups and downs.  Stability is contingent on our ability to go with the flow, to grieve well, handle anger appropriately, express emotions instead of stuffing, etc.  I do not believe in sheltering a child from unhappiness, if you do they will get hit HARD at some point in growing up. 
    The child will be influenced and will learn how to handle difficult situations and unhappiness as the adults in their lives model it before them.  If there were a job description for parenting; The need for the parent to model healthy emotions and handle the ups and downs of life should be at the top.

working