jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My five year old grandson always cry when I bring him to school. he is in kinder

1. profile image46
    candistripesposted 6 years ago

My five year old grandson always cry when I bring him to school. he is in kindergarten 1.

it is his first time to go to school. he didnt go to nursery class. he always cry and say he is afraid to go to school. everyday, since day 1, it is a big problem to bring him to school... what can u advice me?

2. rob_allen profile image84
    rob_allenposted 6 years ago

Be there for him on the first week of the class. Seeing you around will make him feel secure. Kids normally cry on their first day of school dont worry, your grandson is not alone in this world. Probably after a week or so when he already feel secured with his teacher and classmates, he will no longer cry. smile

3. Eleanor's Words profile image86
    Eleanor's Wordsposted 6 years ago

It's common when a child is first separated from carers.  If your grandson did not go to nursery, then it is a very big step, even bigger than for other kids who have already experienced this kind of setting.

My son is three and recently started preschool, attending just two afternoons a week. It took him several weeks to settle in.  Even now he always has a lovely time and comes out smiling, yet makes a fuss about going in and being left.  Things take time so try not to worry - it doesn't mean he'll always feel this way smile

4. Rob Winters profile image86
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

I agree this is a fairly normal reaction especially given he has had no similar preivious experience. My wife used to work in a childcare setting and would say that it is very common for kids to cry/be upset both when being dropped off and when being collected but that they were almost always fine during the time in between so it's probably no reflection of the time he's spending in there. Don't forget to praise him for being a brave boy etc maybe a small treat if he doesn't cry so much etc.If things don't improve perhaps the school might agree to him having shorter days for a couple of weeks (must seem like avery long time for him) until he learns to trust that it will be ok and he will be collected etc. BTW Does he react the same way if someone else drops him or collects him?