jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Has a book ever made you cry and if so which book and why?

1. ThoughtMonkey profile image79
    ThoughtMonkeyposted 5 years ago

Has a book ever made you cry and if so which book and why?

Books have great power, a talented writer can bring out a wide range of emotions but can they bring us to tears? I love emotionally powerful books and would love to hear what books have effected people so I may consider reading them.

2. earth-rim-roamer profile image60
    earth-rim-roamerposted 5 years ago

I'm not a person who cries easily, so I treasure the few books that can bring tears to my eyes. They are: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, The Fault in Our Stars and Of Mice and Men. I cried because of stuff that happened in the plot, but also because the books affected my perception of myself and my own life and changed the way I thought about things.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes, a few books. One, Heaven is For Real. Because my family lost one of my sisters shortly after her birth and because of this book I realize I may see her once again and know that she at least has a name. Two, one of my many romance novels. Something about he will always be there for her after he sacrifices a ton of pain for her after he's already had such a horrible life.

4. ar.colton profile image86
    ar.coltonposted 5 years ago

What good timing, I wrote a hub two days ago called 5 Books that Made Me Cry:

http://arcolton.hubpages.com/hub/5-Book … ade-Me-Cry

5. annart profile image86
    annartposted 5 years ago

Lots!  I'm far too emotional when I read.  'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak is a great read about the war from the perspective of a poor German family; it's full of humour but also harrowing.  Then there's books like 'Germinal' by Emile Zola - about the plight of miners in 1860/1870s in France - how they're treated and what effects their poverty has on them.  Dean Koontz's 'From the Corner of his Eye' is also emotional in parts; a child's father dies before he's born, the child loses his sight and there is evil about; however, good prevails and it's a wonderful story with beautiful characters.  Black Beauty...  Goodnight Mr Tom...  I could give you a long, long list!  Try any of these and I guarantee you'll shed at least one little tear!

6. MickS profile image75
    MickSposted 5 years ago

No, they're only stories, fiction, nothing to let me lose control of my emotions.

7. Teylina profile image60
    Teylinaposted 5 years ago

Not many, but a few over the decades. To me, it's the sign of an excellent author, because only someone who can bring his characters to life and bring you into their lives, is able to do that.

8. angelicfinds profile image60
    angelicfindsposted 5 years ago

Some books that have made me cry are from Jeaniene Frosts Vampire Huntress Novels. When I read I become attached to certain characters and when they are going through pain or die I become sad and cry over the loss. The whole series in general is great.

Other good books that could make a powerful impact are The Kite Runner and A Long Way Gone. They have lots of struggles and are very emotional.

working