jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How old should a child be for a first camping trip?

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image97
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

How old should a child be for a first camping trip?

Is three too young?

2. ACEJames profile image58
    ACEJamesposted 6 years ago

I say at least 10 years old, that way they know what is going on.

3. 2005Fleet profile image60
    2005Fleetposted 6 years ago

Honestly I think it depends.. My friend has a 3 & 5 year old and they go camping every other weekend in the summer..

My sister has a 4 year old but she has been taking her for about a year now.

4. profile image0
    jenniferknightposted 6 years ago

I know people that have taken infants camping! I think a three year old could have a great time camping, as long as you choose the right campsite. You probably don't want a deep woods camp side with pit toilets, bears and snakes. Choose a more modern site with flush toilets and you'll have a great time. Some campsites are pretty fancy and even have snack bars and pools! With a little planning, three is a great age to go camping.

5. munirahmadmughal profile image59
    munirahmadmughalposted 6 years ago

It depends upon the circumstances in which the parents and the child is. However, three years old child of our era seems able to enjoy the whole trip. A decade before it was good for children of 5 years old and two decades before children of 10 years age. The environment, knowledge, scinece and technology have brought a revolution through out the global village and children have become intgelligent ahead of their age. They are to shoulder responsibilites much more than us. Hence age factor seems to have changed.

6. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

There's no age limit for camping!  That's like saying there's an age limit for enjoying being out in nature.  Any time!

7. mcrawford76 profile image82
    mcrawford76posted 6 years ago

I just took my kids camping last week, my yougest is 2, and she had a ball. Just have to keep an eye on her so she doesn't go near the fire or off into the woods.

8. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

my kids started camping at about 2 or 3 years old. they still love camping and we had no problems with them .

9. loneparentgiggles profile image60
    loneparentgigglesposted 6 years ago

i wouldn't say there is one, but for me no less than 18 months... By then they can walk and entertain themselves a little and really take in their surroundings. By that point I guess they'd wet themselves with excitement!

working